Rusty5

G31 Rust

Hi Guys,

So my old 2013 F10 rusted into both back doors and front door under the mirror.  Sytner repaired it and we all moved on.  Last week I picked up an “Approved used” 2017 G31, and today after having her less than 14 days Sytner (not supplying dealer) confirmed that the tailgate will need to be replaced due to RUST. It has gone on the inside edge is several places.  They also advised that the doors, just like the F10/11 are also susceptible to the same issues.  
Has anyone else experienced the same issue with a 2 year old G31? 

0AB2EDE9-4303-4423-BA19-A0BE8E065458.jpeg

I cannot believe that BMW would allow a problem on one model to roll over on to another one, surely not? Time will tell maybe as these cars get older, but the comment from the dealer is not ideal!!!! 

I thought the boot was too, so is corrosion a better term of phrase rather than rust, as your right I’m sure.  Either was very disappointing.

No collision involved, all checked by Sytner. The location of all the corrosion is where the boot rubber sit.  Maybe this is a water trap.  Either way, it’s poor.  I know the new generation of X3 has paint and panel issues, as the production has moved from USA to SA

Dont think its corrosion

looks more like manufacturing residue that wasn't cleaned off before the paint was applied in the paint booth  :) 

Had similar on my G31at the top of the tailgate on the inside. BMW Dealer corrected it by smoothing/ repainting. Was described as a paint defect.
Actually spotted some more under the rear Opening window lowe sill which collects dirt. Again they said they would fix it but I haven’t followed up. Doesn’t seem to be getting worse and realistically I will not have the car beyond three years old and zero chance of impacting trade in value.

Would be very cautious around a new tailgate which has a risk of issues with colour match, badges on in wrong place etc.
What starts out as a small defect could end up as certainly looking like accident repair.

45 minutes ago, Black said:

Had similar on my G31at the top of the tailgate on the inside. BMW Dealer corrected it by smoothing/ repainting. Was described as a paint defect.

yeah I think its a paint defect. Which is not a satisfactory in itself - you dont expect to see such things

It should be harmless