noshadow

520D Hesitant/ Stalling

Hi,

We've recently got ourselves a 65 plate 520D Touring with auto gearbox. Really enjoying it so far but we have noticed that the engine can at times feel quite hesitant. When trying to accelerate it can be a bit juddery and sometimes doesn't respond to the accelerator unless you floor it. I've also had it a few times where I've been coming to a stop it's has felt like it is about to stall and this afternoon when I stopped at a junction it actually stalled and went into neutral on its own, then it came up with a message to say Start/Stop function had been deactivated and a warning that Park wasn't engaged and it may roll. I started the car again and put it into drive and it drove away fine but its obviously a concern.

We've also noticed the Start/Stop function only works intermittently and can't really figure out why. Sometimes it's fine and other times it doesn't work at all, even if we've been driving for a long time and there should presumably be enough charge in the battery.

Anyone experienced anything similar or got any ideas what's causing our issues?

Is it possible to read codes just using an OBD reader or does it need to be taken to a garage to check? The car was in to check the EGR recall issue about a month ago and nothing was flagged up then.

Anyone got any recommendations for a garage in North East Scotland? I'm in Montrose so somewhere in Aberdeen or Dundee would work.

Edited by noshadow

Ideally a OBD reader which is dedicated to BMW or the more sophisticated expensive ones will give more accurate results.

I can only offer John Clark in that part of the world, mine came from their Aberdeen showroom.

2 hours ago, noshadow said:

Is it possible to read codes just using an OBD reader or does it need to be taken to a garage to check? The car was in to check the EGR recall issue about a month ago and nothing was flagged up then.

Anyone got any recommendations for a garage in North East Scotland? I'm in Montrose so somewhere in Aberdeen or Dundee would work.

If you recently got it why dont you take it back to the dealer you bought it from? Assuming is was bought from a dealer its their responsibility to fix it!

A generic odb with the torque app for example will only give generic code I believe. 

The carly app with their dongle for the sum of £140 all in with an annual charge on top will give you more detail. 

I think if you want to do it yourself then ista and enet is the cheapest route as the cable is like 15£ once you have the software. Legalities of Ista I don't fully understand. 

EGR may just have been check based on the recall database, whether they actually tested its abilities and state is another question. 

Mine has just been in for an EML light and similar hesitation, but never felt like it was stalling. 

You hear about this issue in relation to the EGR issues - but that's guesswork. Get it back to where you bought it from.

I find Carly pretty horrific for code reading, as it's slow and limited in what it tells you. I use a DCan cable with INPA (for Fxx cars) for connectivity/basic functions and then Ediabas (Toolset32) for detailed module interrogation.

We bought the car just over 3 months ago from a dealer in Norwich so it's a long trek from NE Scotland back to the dealer. I've had a quick look through the paperwork when we bought the car and a 12 month mechanical breakdown insurance was included so it may be that I can use that if needs be. I'll pop into a local garage and see if they can read any codes etc.

Thanks for the replies!

May help to contact the seller too... quite often in these cases they'll allow you to use a garage closer to you to cover their obligations as regards fit for purpose faults.

2 hours ago, bestdj said:

No warranty given by dealer? All good dealers gives warranty at least 3 months 

Its actually law they say they give 6 months but the dealer is actually liable for the car for up to a year with average and reasonable mileage

49 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

May help to contact the seller too... quite often in these cases they'll allow you to use a garage closer to you to cover their obligations as regards fit for purpose faults.

I would say to contact the seller first, depending on the shadyness of the dealer in question. I bought a car a few years ago from a dealer who said if any problems developed with the car not to take it anywhere else first or they'd refuse any warranty claim, the reasoning being if anyone else touches the car there's no guarantee they haven't done something to cause the fault. As it turned out that dealer had no intention of honouring any warranty claims as I found to my cost. 

Thanks guys, some good info there. The dealer was great when I bought the car, to be expected when they're trying to sell you a car obviously but I didn't get the impression they were a shady bunch. I'll get in touch with the salesman I dealt with tomorrow and see how I get on. I've had a read through of the 12 month breakdown insurance that was provided as well and I'm quite confident I can claim against any costs incurred by diagnostics, repairs etc. as long as I use one of their approved garages.

6 minutes ago, nick_mcuk said:

Its actually law they say they give 6 months but the dealer is actually liable for the car for up to a year with average and reasonable mileage

Have you got any reference for this? Just so I can have it as ammo when I call tomorrow.

1 minute ago, noshadow said:

Have you got any reference for this? Just so I can have it as ammo when I call tomorrow.

Only from when myself and a friend had a business selling used cars....we were liable for every car for 1 year with reasonable use.

Its all to do with goods fit for sale stuff....let me hunt out some info for you.

6 minutes ago, noshadow said:

Thanks guys, some good info there. The dealer was great when I bought the car, to be expected when they're trying to sell you a car obviously but I didn't get the impression they were a shady bunch. I'll get in touch with the salesman I dealt with tomorrow and see how I get on. I've had a read through of the 12 month breakdown insurance that was provided as well and I'm quite confident I can claim against any costs incurred by diagnostics, repairs etc. as long as I use one of their approved garages.

Consumer rights law of 2015.

Google is your friend. Dealers have quite a bit of responsibility to not sell you a lemon, and if they do that usually shows itself within 30days and defo within 6 months when you can go back to them and they very much have to help out. 

After 6months and up to 6 years I think and the responsibility is less and less, but there all the same. Of course wear and tear and aging components come in to play at this point.

I would also say the test for egr gets tested to see if it opens 20% but there is nothing to suggest that if the part failed now given we had one or two people had this failure on their car on this forum.

Without codes its difficult but i recall watching a video on youtube and believe it was called common problems on B47 which i believe what your engine is however without actual codes its just shooting in the dark but from entertainment point of view its good to watch to findout what commonly goes wrong on these as i do have the same engine.

Just a thought, but for a cheap for code reading option, if you have an Android device take a look at bimmer-tool (BTool) lite on the Play Store.

There's a free version and a paid one (£13.49). The free one gives you code reading of all the BMW specific modules (limited descriptions, but google is your friend!), also gives you some live data and DPF information. The paid one adds a few more live features and things like service reset and the ability to force DPF regeneration.

You need an adapter, I use an old Carista Bluetooth adapter, but I believe it's fully ELM327 compatible so there's a wide variety of adapters available off eBay etc...