Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CFD

Would you consider a 545e if it matched the x5 45e specs?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, mobilejo said:

 

For my usage, even a 50 mile range would mean that 95% of my journeys would be on electric. 

 

I am seriously considering an X5 45e next, using my limited company to purchase/lease the car and me paying the BIK. Its almost a no brainer, except (1) the loss of personal mileage which I currently pay myself from my company and can add up to quite a lot of tax free cash and (2) I still really love my car. 

If you buy the car as a company car through your business then you can offset 100% of the purchase cost against corporation tax in the first year so the HMRC effectively gives you a 19% saving. Yes, you’ll pay personal tax but due to the very low emissions it is less than the saving on Corp tax. I would expect to pay north of £60k for an optioned X5 45e so you’ll save circa £ 12k on Corp tax which is a lot of miles at the 45p rate ! I have found that whilst you may have to pay at 40% say £4K a year tax by the time you take off the insurance, maintenance, other running cost etc (that are offset against Corp tax too) then the true cost is probably less than £2k / year so you’ll still be ‘quids in’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wivenhoe said:

If you buy the car as a company car through your business then you can offset 100% of the purchase cost against corporation tax in the first year so the HMRC effectively gives you a 19% saving. Yes, you’ll pay personal tax but due to the very low emissions it is less than the saving on Corp tax. I would expect to pay north of £60k for an optioned X5 45e so you’ll save circa £ 12k on Corp tax which is a lot of miles at the 45p rate ! I have found that whilst you may have to pay at 40% say £4K a year tax by the time you take off the insurance, maintenance, other running cost etc (that are offset against Corp tax too) then the true cost is probably less than £2k / year so you’ll still be ‘quids in’. 


All very true, except a X5 45e in my spec for example would be almost £80k a base X5 phev M Sport is almost £67k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wivenhoe said:

If you buy the car as a company car through your business then you can offset 100% of the purchase cost against corporation tax in the first year

 

Interesting - I assume this is only because its a low co2 car? I thought they had withdrawn that, as I remember my brother looking at buying an i8 via his business years ago, as it had 100% FYA but there was a cut off period IIRC after which the 100% FYA would not be possible.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mobilejo said:

 

Interesting - I assume this is only because its a low co2 car? I thought they had withdrawn that, as I remember my brother looking at buying an i8 via his business years ago, as it had 100% FYA but there was a cut off period IIRC after which the 100% FYA would not be possible.

Yes - the car has to be less than 50g / Km, ‘new and unused’ to claim 100% FYA. https://www.gov.uk/capital-allowances/business-cars


Was the i8 new ?  There was a cost threshold for claiming the new car grant (initially £ 5k) which they brought in when Porsche brought out their plug-in !  Now to claim the £ 3.5k the car has to be capable of ‘emission free’  range of 70 miles so no plug-ins get close to that. 
 

The home charger grant is still available so they’ll pay up to £ 500 towards the cost of the supply and install costs. The charger has to be ‘smart’ and an average cost after the grant seems to be less than £ 500. When you claim the VAT back and offset against Corp tax it costs you very little. It’s hassle free as the installer claims the £ 500 back directly so you don’t have to claim it. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-funded-electric-car-chargepoints-to-be-smart-by-july-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sjak92 said:


All very true, except a X5 45e in my spec for example would be almost £80k a base X5 phev M Sport is almost £67k

We went through the same calculations. OH daily commute would almost be possible on a single charge, though nowhere to charge at the other end (there's barely anywhere to park!).

 

Then we looked at what the costs - we could get a lot more for a lot less on an ordinary X5 than just the base X5e. Don't get me wrong, the base is pretty well specc'd but coupled with the wait time at the time, it just didn't add up.

 

I think that's then issue - at the moment, it was a fair bit cheaper to stick with diesel, even after you took into account the savings, and you get a significantly nicer car. While I'm pro electric (believe me, I tried to make the sums work!), pragmatism outweighs principles.  For us, either the prices need to be a bit more comparable and/or the range improved. The closer the range is to, say, 100miles the more the running costs start to make a bigger impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

We went through the same calculations. OH daily commute would almost be possible on a single charge, though nowhere to charge at the other end (there's barely anywhere to park!).

 

Then we looked at what the costs - we could get a lot more for a lot less on an ordinary X5 than just the base X5e. Don't get me wrong, the base is pretty well specc'd but coupled with the wait time at the time, it just didn't add up.

 

I think that's then issue - at the moment, it was a fair bit cheaper to stick with diesel, even after you took into account the savings, and you get a significantly nicer car. While I'm pro electric (believe me, I tried to make the sums work!), pragmatism outweighs principles.  For us, either the prices need to be a bit more comparable and/or the range improved. The closer the range is to, say, 100miles the more the running costs start to make a bigger impact.

 

Didn't know there was such a big gap between the two price wise. Interesting. And I'm with you on a 100 mile range having a much bigger impact. Just as with a fully electric vehicle if they somehow get the range to 1000 miles on a charge suddenly the prospect of running fully electric sounds much less risky. Granted 1k might be overkill for most people, but that all depends on peoples access to charging etc.

 

Edit: I had a quick look out of curiosity.

 

330i M Sport : 39285

330e M Sport: 39990

 

530i M Sport: 46145

530e M Sport: 50130

 

x5 40i: 62120

x5 45e: 66675

 

Shame they cant get the prices closer for the 5/x5 as for a 3 series there isn't much in it really

Edited by CFD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CFD said:

 

Didn't know there was such a big gap between the two price wise. Interesting. And I'm with you on a 100 mile range having a much bigger impact. Just as with a fully electric vehicle if they somehow get the range to 1000 miles on a charge suddenly the prospect of running fully electric sounds much less risky. Granted 1k might be overkill for most people, but that all depends on peoples access to charging etc.

List is c£5k between a 30d msport and a 45e msport. At the time, the dealer wouldn't go very far on discounts on the 45e as it wasn't yet on sale, but we easily got a big discount off the 30d. Can't honestly remember the numbers but I seem to recall it was well over 10k difference, perhaps even close to 15k. We didn't get as far as PCP quotes tbf, which would have narrowed the gap I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2020 at 12:00, G Whizz said:

List is c£5k between a 30d msport and a 45e msport. At the time, the dealer wouldn't go very far on discounts on the 45e as it wasn't yet on sale, but we easily got a big discount off the 30d. Can't honestly remember the numbers but I seem to recall it was well over 10k difference, perhaps even close to 15k. We didn't get as far as PCP quotes tbf, which would have narrowed the gap I suspect.

 

Sytner seemed to have been offering by far the best deals on the X5's towards the back end of 2019 and my car was a total of £13k (ish ) discount. which worked out at around 17% (a lot on an X Model) together with 2.9% apr finance. AFAIK the X5 45e was never offered with any discount (significant at least) and higher APR. The only incentive at the moment for an X5 45e is a free BP Chargemaster unit which would cost you around £400 otherwise so no saving at all tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got my wife 1 series at Sytner for a service and a 540i test drive booked at the same time. I'll be grilling them on what they know about 5 series Touring 30e and 45e. When I booked the test drive they said they would try to get some information for me!

 

I don't suppose I should hold my breath for any useful information, but it's worth asking!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stressed said:

I've got my wife 1 series at Sytner for a service and a 540i test drive booked at the same time. I'll be grilling them on what they know about 5 series Touring 30e and 45e. When I booked the test drive they said they would try to get some information for me!

 

I don't suppose I should hold my breath for any useful information, but it's worth asking!!!


I think you are more likely to find the information you want here:

 

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686

 

Dealers will refuse to tell you anything for two reasons:

 

1) they don’t know

2) even if they know they are unlikely to tell you to wait for the new thing when they can flog you the current thing

 

When I had a 740d for an extended test drive in November 2018, I enquired with the dealer about a PCP deal. The discounts were great, but as I knew an LCI was coming, I said I will likely wait as I didn’t want a model in last months of production. The sales guy told me (as if I was a moron) that as far as he has heard, BMW have decided not to facelift the 7 series in this generation so the car will stay “fresh” for years to come. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 7:50 AM, sjak92 said:


M550i is available in Europe, not for UK market apparently 

 

I believe they are launching the 550i late 2020.

I currently have a 540i (2017) and would be interested in this, especially as its so much cheaper than an M5!!

 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-series/106283/bmw-m550i-coming-to-the-uk

 

What a machine this will be!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The motoring press said the m550 was coming last year but it never materialised. Hopefully this time they're right.

 

They have quoted the power figures of the 2017/18 m550i engine. The newer ones in the rest of the world now have the 530bhp engine from the m850i, I wonder if we do ever see the m550i which engine it would have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMW5Dan said:

 

I believe they are launching the 550i late 2020.

I currently have a 540i (2017) and would be interested in this, especially as its so much cheaper than an M5!!

 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-series/106283/bmw-m550i-coming-to-the-uk

 

What a machine this will be!!!

 

 

That article is almost a year old. At this stage, with the the G30 being at circa 50% of its lifespan, i doubt it will ever happen. Having looked at M5's before ordering my X5, the M5 (Non Comp) as a base car (doesn't really need any extra options) was offered to me with a £27k deposit contribution, bringing the car down from £95k to £68k! It worked out £58 more a month than my X5 does and despite being very close to saying yes, insurance killed it for me. Being 27, best I could do was £3500 a year, that combined with a running in service of over a grand, realistic 12mpg and high risk of points wrote it off.

 

BMW UK shot themselves in the foot with the M5 vs M5 Comp pricing, essentially devaluing the cars against each other. An M550i would not make them any profit in the UK as it would have to be priced below the two, with a discount, it would be too good a deal for you and me. 

 

Having seen other posts, the best you'll get in a updated 540i with the M340i tune on the engine, so a touch more hp/torque. I wouldn't hold my breath for a M550i if I were you :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

 

That article is almost a year old. At this stage, with the the G30 being at circa 50% of its lifespan, i doubt it will ever happen. Having looked at M5's before ordering my X5, the M5 (Non Comp) as a base car (doesn't really need any extra options) was offered to me with a £27k deposit contribution, bringing the car down from £95k to £68k! It worked out £58 more a month than my X5 does and despite being very close to saying yes, insurance killed it for me. Being 27, best I could do was £3500 a year, that combined with a running in service of over a grand, realistic 12mpg and high risk of points wrote it off.

 

BMW UK shot themselves in the foot with the M5 vs M5 Comp pricing, essentially devaluing the cars against each other. An M550i would not make them any profit in the UK as it would have to be priced below the two, with a discount, it would be too good a deal for you and me. 

 

Having seen other posts, the best you'll get in a updated 540i with the M340i tune on the engine, so a touch more hp/torque. I wouldn't hold my breath for a M550i if I were you :( 

 

Gutted if true, although I do love my 540i. Will maybe change it end of 2020.

I've gone from a 520d to a 535d to my 540i x-drive. It is an amazing machine just a tad thirsty. I was spoilt with the 535d which had performance and decent fuel economy.

I could never justify the cost or running costs of an M5.

 

This is from Aug 2019 so still hopeful of the 550i

 

https://www.theweek.co.uk/executive-saloons/102714/bmw-5-series-2020-spy-shots-specs-prices-and-release

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMW5Dan said:

 

Gutted if true, although I do love my 540i. Will maybe change it end of 2020.

I've gone from a 520d to a 535d to my 540i x-drive. It is an amazing machine just a tad thirsty. I was spoilt with the 535d which had performance and decent fuel economy.

I could never justify the cost or running costs of an M5.

 

This is from Aug 2019 so still hopeful of the 550i

 

https://www.theweek.co.uk/executive-saloons/102714/bmw-5-series-2020-spy-shots-specs-prices-and-release

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have no doubt of a new M550i with the same engine spec as the M850i (as mentioned above) just not for the UK market. I hope im wrong tbh, but with the recent announcement that BMW is treating the M Lite models as full on M Cars, there just does not seem to be enough demand to sell them here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×