Sign in to follow this  
CFD

Would you consider a 545e if it matched the x5 45e specs?

• 394bhp (of which 289 is from the straight 6 petrol unit)
  • 49 co2's
  • 50 mile all electric range (WLTP)

From a BIK pov it sounds great, but privately would you just get a 540 instead? Just interested on peoples takes on this - ~50 mile all electric range could mean low cost day to day running but still a decent amount of power for longer trips?

From 2021, phased in from 2020, the EU fleet-wide average emission target for new cars will be 95 g CO2/km.

so the 545e emits 49g of CO - a likely story, but...

BMW needs to reduce its fleet average emissions or faced billions of Euros in fines

if nobody buys 545e then we wont be able to buy the 540i..... 

reference

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en

Well, BMW do have quite a range of smaller engined cars to average out their emissions over, so some hope for a while yet.

I have a 540, I would rather it was a 545e 
It would need to be a touring with no loss of boot space though.
Low running costs in and out of town, yet performance and range for those longer trips, with I hope a consumption no worse than a 540

15 minutes ago, Boba said:

Well, BMW do have quite a range of smaller engined cars to average out their emissions over, so some hope for a while yet.

they dont sell loads of compact cars , like VW Audi.  their biggest seller, the new 320d already breaches it

-110 g with automatic

-118 with xdrive

so these PHEV figures are suspiciously low  . the 330e has 33g CO2/km. Very suspicious I would say :)

3 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

they dont sell loads of compact cars , like VW Audi.  their biggest seller, the new 320d already breaches it

-110 g with automatic

-118 with xdrive

so these PHEV figures are suspiciously low  . the 330e has 33g CO2/km. Very suspicious I would say :)

The testing regime is far more rigorous now. The 2.0l in the 530e & 330e produces probably more than 110g by the diesel but as it is only running part time then it is reasonable that overall the result is 33g / km. I have covered 1400 miles (in 2 months) in my (second generation) 530e and according to the ID7 it has an overall average of 90 mpg. As that is at least double the consumption of a 2.0l petrol then the emissions / km must be half of the non plug-in. 

I got the car as I do very few long runs so it is very efficient compared to a diesel - if I was doing loads of motorway miles then the efficiency and the emissions would rocket !

1 hour ago, Wivenhoe said:

The testing regime is far more rigorous now. The 2.0l in the 530e & 330e produces probably more than 110g by the diesel but as it is only running part time then it is reasonable that overall the result is 33g / km. I have covered 1400 miles (in 2 months) in my (second generation) 530e and according to the ID7 it has an overall average of 90 mpg. As that is at least double the consumption of a 2.0l petrol then the emissions / km must be half of the non plug-in. 

I got the car as I do very few long runs so it is very efficient compared to a diesel - if I was doing loads of motorway miles then the efficiency and the emissions would rocket !

not against PHEVs or Hybrids.  Many of the taxis around where I live (W Midlands) are Toyota Prius' . But they are actually Hybrids not PHEVs, 

The reported fleet average for PHEVs is very poor vs official figures.  This is becasue the average owner doesnt plug it in . My neighbor has a Outlander PHEV and I never see him plugging it in. He cant becasue its street parking. Maybe he does it at work I dunno

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Anything with 545 in its name needs to be a V8!;)

The G range of 5 Series needs a V8 to complete its "non M model" line up of engines not one with a food blender fitted to it. :D

M550i is available in Europe, not for UK market apparently 

17 hours ago, CFD said:
  • 394bhp (of which 289 is from the straight 6 petrol unit)
  • 49 co2's
  • 50 mile all electric range (WLTP)

From a BIK pov it sounds great, but privately would you just get a 540 instead? Just interested on peoples takes on this - ~50 mile all electric range could mean low cost day to day running but still a decent amount of power for longer trips?

545e will be slightly tweaked with a de-tuned 375bhp engine. I thought this was common knowledge?

with a 50mile range and performance which equal if not top a current 540i I can only expect BMW to update the 540i with the same engine as the M340i.

I wouldn’t expect the 545e to effectively become the range topping 5 series 

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

545e will be slightly tweaked with a de-tuned 375bhp engine. I thought this was common knowledge?

with a 50mile range and performance which equal if not top a current 540i I can only expect BMW to update the 540i with the same engine as the M340i.

No I don't expect hybrids to be range toppers just yet either tbf.

And I was unaware of it being detuned but doesn't surprise me, everyone else does the same thing. The Volvo T8's are staggered in much the same way.

But would you consider one? Even the X5 45e in your case?

Bit of a loaded question really as I already know your opinion on BMW's hybrid setup :D

well its an interesting question. Its hard to think of a PHEV as a performance car. The acceleration is not reliable - what if the battery is flat.  The 540i is atleast repeatable . People who buy the 540i, get it for its performance, for overtaking where possible 

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Anything with 545 in its name needs to be a V8!;)

The G range of 5 Series needs a V8 to complete its "non M model" line up of engines not one with a food blender fitted to it. :D

Its 2019. Everything has a blower now! And there is V8 G30 but even that has turbos (2 of them).

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Unlikely. The higher output B58 seems to only be used in the M-lite cars. The 740i LCI and new X5 40i both have the lower output B58. Can't see why they would put the higher output in the 540i when its not an 'M540i'.

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

It wouldn't be the range topping 5 series, because the M550i exists. The fact that WE don't get it here doesn't change that. BMW is a global brand - as far as they're concerned, the range ends with the M550i. They're not sitting there thinking "we need to create a special 'UK' version 540i so that it tops the 545e because we do not sell the M550i there". If they wanted to give us a faster 5 series, they could sell the M550i here. They don't for one reason or another.

Aside from that, the weight of the battery means that the performance is unlikely to be much different to the 540i; If you look at the X5 40i v 45e, there is a 54bhp power difference yet 0-60 is 1/10th slower in the hybrid. If the 545e is only getting 35bhp more than the 540i, but I imagine a lighter battery package, then it may be a similar result. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be massively different. The true benefit of the hybrid is the economy and BIK for company buyers.

8 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

well its an interesting question. Its hard to think of a PHEV as a performance car. The acceleration is not reliable - what if the battery is flat.  The 540i is atleast repeatable . People who buy the 540i, get it for its performance, for overtaking where possible 

In my experience (1 year driving totalling 25k miles) I've yet to put my foot down in the 530e with a 'flat' battery and feel that there are horses missing. The car does an exceptional job of keeping even just a tiny bit of charge in the battery to allow the 'eBoost' at all times.

The only exception to this is a flat battery when it's -2 outside, where the car tells you 'full drive power available shortly' - but by the time the engine is warm that message is gone, and who nails their engine before it's warmed up anyway?

However - it will no doubt not handle as good as the 540i, thats for sure.

For me I think the benefit for private usage is increasing inline with the range - by the time the range gets to 100 miles it'll be a tough decision to go for a 540i over the 'equivalent' 545e when you can choose to have 100 miles range for £3.

30 minutes ago, CFD said:

For me I think the benefit for private usage is increasing inline with the range - by the time the range gets to 100 miles it'll be a tough decision to go for a 540i over the 'equivalent' 545e when you can choose to have 100 miles range for £3.

For my usage, even a 50 mile range would mean that 95% of my journeys would be on electric. 

I am seriously considering an X5 45e next, using my limited company to purchase/lease the car and me paying the BIK. Its almost a no brainer, except (1) the loss of personal mileage which I currently pay myself from my company and can add up to quite a lot of tax free cash and (2) I still really love my car. 

21 minutes ago, mobilejo said:

For my usage, even a 50 mile range would mean that 95% of my journeys would be on electric. 

I am seriously considering an X5 45e next, using my limited company to purchase/lease the car and me paying the BIK. Its almost a no brainer, except (1) the loss of personal mileage which I currently pay myself from my company and can add up to quite a lot of tax free cash and (2) I still really love my car. 

If it actually achieved 50 miles real world I could get to work and back entirely electric on only 1 charge. Almost all my weekend driving would be covered by 50 miles a day too - cracking deal for a BIK driver. Shame I can't charge at work tbh

2 hours ago, CFD said:

No I don't expect hybrids to be range toppers just yet either tbf.

And I was unaware of it being detuned but doesn't surprise me, everyone else does the same thing. The Volvo T8's are staggered in much the same way.

But would you consider one? Even the X5 45e in your case?

Bit of a loaded question really as I already know your opinion on BMW's hybrid setup :D

100% i would have considered a X5 45e. I go through a tank of fuel in my X5 in around 3/3.5 weeks and do roughly 400/500 miles a month. On a normal day, I drop my wife off at the station and pick her up in the afternoon (so 4.5 miles total) and maybe do a shop run, say 10 miles a day. For me, the X5 45e would have been perfect as I would use virtually no fuel and could offset the +/- £100 per month on diesel for the higher PCP cost and probably break even. 

Why didn't I get one? Well the 2.9% deals on X5's were supposed to be around until the end of September 2019. It was then extended until December 31st 2019. Those offers are gone and I dont think we have had any UK deliveries of the 45e's yet so I would have gotten a higher APR deal and then it stopped making sense money wise. As simple as that. 

Don't judge me too quickly on electric vehicles. My wife ended up placing a deposit on the Mini Cooper S Electric. More of a reservation as we dont have to take it if we dont like it but im looking forward to it. I've always said. E vehicles work if you can use as little fuel as possible and maximise running on juice. My wife will never charge at home (in theory) as she will be able to do that at work and will get free parking because of a driving a hybrid. 

1 hour ago, mobilejo said:

Its 2019. Everything has a blower now! And there is V8 G30 but even that has turbos (2 of them).

Unlikely. The higher output B58 seems to only be used in the M-lite cars. The 740i LCI and new X5 40i both have the lower output B58. Can't see why they would put the higher output in the 540i when its not an 'M540i'.

It wouldn't be the range topping 5 series, because the M550i exists. The fact that WE don't get it here doesn't change that. BMW is a global brand - as far as they're concerned, the range ends with the M550i. They're not sitting there thinking "we need to create a special 'UK' version 540i so that it tops the 545e because we do not sell the M550i there". If they wanted to give us a faster 5 series, they could sell the M550i here. They don't for one reason or another.

Aside from that, the weight of the battery means that the performance is unlikely to be much different to the 540i; If you look at the X5 40i v 45e, there is a 54bhp power difference yet 0-60 is 1/10th slower in the hybrid. If the 545e is only getting 35bhp more than the 540i, but I imagine a lighter battery package, then it may be a similar result. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be massively different. The true benefit of the hybrid is the economy and BIK for company buyers.

All very fair points! 

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

People who buy the 540i, get it for its performance, for overtaking where possible 

........ and for autobahn storming :P

28 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

All very fair points! 

Except 1 of my points was blatantly wrong - its not 2019 anymore, its 2020! It'll probably be June before I catch on! :D

2 hours ago, Stressed said:

545i sounds appealing. Will there be a touring version? There's not a 530i touring yet!

you mean 545e and 530e touring I think?