hi all,

I didn't know where to put this topic so I put it under Projects, apologies to the moderators if this is the wrong location.

Predictably I belted the screen on the display key that came with my car, cracking the LCD rendering it useless, BMW wanted over £400 for a replacement key which was steep for what it is. I looked around and functioning smart keys are available on ebay but they may need reprogramming, they start at £150 + cost of reprogramming (if possible) so that was the most likely option to go until I did a bit more research and a bit of luck.

An alternative I came across was to source a OEM display key from ebay for £32,  it was disabled meaning it would show the data from the car but would not start or lock/unlock the car.  The chap who sells them can be found on ebay by his username videogamesmademebuyit . The keys are original OEM keys and I believe the chap selling them works for a parts dept at BMW.

As shown in the video the display key is formed of two halves, front and rear covers, the screen and buttons are bonded to the front cover so any display key can be used as long as it's the same version (obvious) and the screen and buttons work on it. 

I followed the video (link below) and simply replaced the screen and button half of the key, I used a mobile phone case removal set although you only need a plastic wedges (like a guitar pick) to separate the halves,  a small tork driver and a pair of tweezers to dismantle and reassemble.

The key now works perfectly, as new and all for £32 and 15 minutes of my time and avoids profiteering by BMW who will only sell a complete key despite it being clearly a serviceable item if you could get the parts.

Hopefully this thread saves you a bit of money if your key suffers a cracked screen or malfunctioning buttons.

If you have any questions, happy to try and help just post below.

Edited by NuggetsG31

Nice write up and I'm sure this would be useful to someone in the same predicament. I'd suggest posting in the relevant G30/31 technical section. Or maybe a mod could move it.

Keliuss

On 09/01/2020 at 07:29, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Look at the frickin size of that  :shock: glad I don’t have to carry one of them around with me.

I used mine for the best part of 3 days. Too bulky and can’t be attached to key ring.

the only cool thing about it was the fact that I can raise and mower the suspension from the key

Hello NuggetsG31

I need your support on this Display key screen replacement topic.

As explained in you topic I ordered a BMW display key on ebay (but a complete and already programed one) from which i took the LCd an replace in mine. Unfortunately when i switch on the key no think appear on the screen. did you face this problem ? is there any think to do to ensure compatibility between new lcd screen with the key ?

Thank you for your support

Just a nonsense these display key things. Heavy as a mobile phone and almost as large. Battery goes flat in no time at all - forever needing recharged. Mine lives permanently in the safe except when I fish it out to charge it and see if it’s still working. Makes more sense to have the functions on your iPhone.

Edited by Boba