Zusurs

Condensation inside headlight

I’ve seen some with the top cap comes off, mine is factory sealed and the cover behind the flap in the wheel arch is the only way In , 

2 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

I’ve seen some with the top cap comes off, mine is factory sealed and the cover behind the flap in the wheel arch is the only way In , 

Are they xenon headlights?

Yes that’s the one , without knowing if anyone else has drilled into the top or even if it’s viable to do so hopefully not a waste of time if I get to do it 

I've heard some people took top cap off permanently and problem was solved for some of them but in your case you risking drilling holes on top and not cure the problem so safe way would be drilling holes underneath the headlight like the pics here shows

44 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

it’ll have to wait until the monsoon stops then , got some free time coming up soon 

Is your headlight really bad? and let me guess passenger side?

yeah passenger side, wouldn’t pass an mot !! About 75% condensation in it , some days better some worse , done the hairdryer trick lasted 2 days 

9 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

yeah passenger side, wouldn’t pass an mot !! About 75% condensation in it , some days better some worse , done the hairdryer trick lasted 2 days 

Well when it's out to give it a fighting chance do the over trick! When the Mrs is out of course!! 

6 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

Hairdryer won't help you in that case you need (funknhell) mod

Have you seen his headlight pic?he had whole cover covered

When mine at one point was really bad and completely covered I done the hairdyer thing and cleared it, but same as above it didn’t seem to last long before coming back. 
Seems very poor that for such an expensive car / part to have this issue when still relatively new. I did price up a new headlight, but at around £1200 I decided to leave the cap off!!

Yes seen the pic, just seems a ball ache taking the bumper off to do the mod , but if it saves buying a new unit!! You’d think due to cost and expense of the car it wouldn’t happen , my neighbour has an Audi A5 and his near side light is condensated too , wonder if the lights are manufactured by the same manufacturer?

6 hours ago, Daveh65 said:

manufactured by the same manufacturer?

Not sure but this should never ever happen with such expensive cars

On 13/01/2020 at 18:16, Daveh65 said:

As for drilling the holes, is it done with the unit out?? And do you think holes in the top of the unit (mine has the false cap on the top which looks like it should undo but doesn’t ) would do the same ? Maybe a waterproof membrane over the holes so it can breath? 

It is mate but honestly it's a easy process. Hardest thing is checking the weather that your not going to get a bath doing it! Unless your lucky enough to have a big enough garage. The other difficult side is to have somewhere appropriate to keep all the plastic pop studs and bolts you take from the wheel lining and bumper / under bonnet plastics as there are a few. 

I may have a few pics if it helps 

Yeah pics would be great , I have temporarily stuck some 25g silica bags behind the cap, it’s took a little of it away , but only been a week , but yeah pics please 

Mine got really bad in the last week or two and I finally had to  do something about it today. When liner and wheel removed and in with the hairdryer. I have left the top cap off for now to see if the last few drops of water will evaporate that way. I did also take the opportunity to upgrade main beams to osram led whilst I was in there. Look brilliant. 

IMG_20200219_112116.jpg

IMG_20200219_112124.jpg

IMG_20200219_121951.jpg

IMG_20200219_122003.jpg

I’ve left the top cap off mine completely and no issues. It’s poor that I need to do that to stop it getting wet inside such an expensive part. 

My cap doesn't seem to come off. I don't think it's a cap. 

Mine has a small amount of condensation. Do I just drill a hole from the top? Sounds like a bad idea. 

Mine has the false top caps, due to the rain I’ve not had chance to get the bumper off to reach the bottom of the units, so did the hair dryer again for an hour or so then put 50g of silica gel in an bag and taped it behind the cover through the wheel arch , it’s lasted about 2 weeks but no covered in condensation again due to the rain , need to swap the gel bags over as guessing they’ve done their job and the dryer again, bummer having no bloody garage ,