Zusurs

Condensation inside headlight

Hello, guys!

This is the first winter for my F10 pre-lci, and few days ago I noticed that there is a little bit of condensation (water droplets) accumulating in the corners of one of my headlights. Can you advice, what's the best course of action for this issue? I haven't yet looked at the service manual or TIS documentation regarding this, but I assume that there should be some kind of ventilation membrane on the back side of the headlight, that should be replaced, right? Can somebody please tell me the proper procedure to deal with this?

Thanks for advice in advance.

Edited by Zusurs

Could be worse mate! That's what mine looked like at the weekend. Took to off drained it and heated it up to get the remaining moisture out. The control unit didn't make it so that's got to be replaced (again)! 

Common issue. 

I have added a holes on the bottom of the light to help with ventilation but I don't think it helped that I installed LED headlights as they are far from the temperature of the halogens which help keep the moisture away. 

We will see how this holds but but likley to be a replacement unit. 

20191228_164812.jpg

I feel you, mate! 

Just wondering - what's the exact reason behind this issue? Sealant/membrane gone bad? As I wrote above, I'm guessing that there should be a some kind of vapour membrane on the back of the headlight, right?

I had resealed the front headlight with tigerseal, checked both breather holes were clear. No signs of any damage and even sprayed with never wet (waterproofing spray) still got the water in. I honestly have no idea as to where. 

Neighbour across from me was a ex TVR Mechanic at the Blackpool factory and he said they came back with the exact same reason. The hole under the headlight ldea came from him which I have to say has worked so far 

Either way I have just purchased a replacement headlight so will be swapping it out next weekend. 

13 hours ago, Pedro79 said:

Hi mate. I too have this problem but quite a lot worse than yours I think. Can you tell me more about where you have drilled the holes you mention? 

Is your headlight still on the car or off? 

13 hours ago, Pedro79 said:

Hi mate. I too have this problem but quite a lot worse than yours I think. Can you tell me more about where you have drilled the holes you mention? 

Actually. I have a crap picture which may help. Just 2 little holes one either side. Cleared mine out 2 weeks ago and they are still going strong. Keep it to the side to avoid wires

20200106_114613.jpg

8 hours ago, Pedro79 said:

Still on the car at the moment but that's spot on thank you. Am I correct in thinking the bumper has to come off to remove headlights? 

Not fully no.but it's not far off. Tyre off the effected side. Remove the liner from wheel arch. Plastic trim where the flap opens to remove full beam bulb. There are a line of bolts holding the bumper on top and bottom so remove them. Finally back in the wheel arch there is a bolt. Perhaps 2 holding the bumper on. Remove that and you can them take that corner off with enough room to remove the bolts holding the headlight on at the front. I rested my bumper on a small tin of paint at it was the same height. 

I have another headlight coming so will take some pictures when I swap it out

Maybe all that condensation is in there because idiots designed headlight to be open from wheel arch? where there is tons of water when driving in rain very stupid design!!

Seems to be mostly affecting the nearside headlight on mine and most others I know of. I’ve had mine out, dried out, sealed etc but still had the issue but to a somewhat lesser extent. I now just leave the top cap off the headlight and now don’t get the problem. Seems to need a lot more ventilation than it gets normally. Offside one is fine, see the odd bit of condensation now and again but clears itself.

Mine at one point was soaked and started throwing up errors, managed to remove the module and dry it out before it done any damage. 

Seems poor that they do this considering the amount a new headlight costs and not much point buying a used one as that’ll probably have the same issue. 

Mine typically started a couple of months after I bought it out from it’s pcp! 

27 minutes ago, Gee44 said:

Seems to be mostly affecting the nearside headlight on mine and most others I know of. I’ve had mine out, dried out, sealed etc but still had the issue but to a somewhat lesser extent. I now just leave the top cap off the headlight and now don’t get the problem. Seems to need a lot more ventilation than it gets normally. Offside one is fine, see the odd bit of condensation now and again but clears itself.

Mine at one point was soaked and started throwing up errors, managed to remove the module and dry it out before it done any damage. 

Seems poor that they do this considering the amount a new headlight costs and not much point buying a used one as that’ll probably have the same issue. 

Mine typically started a couple of months after I bought it out from it’s pcp! 

This is my 3rd control board (2nd replacement) 

One I save for a while wut when the water came back it died. These holes seam to have done the trick though I have to say. 

I tried the cap off trick but just far to much moisture to fight against for mine.

17 hours ago, Funknhell said:

tried the cap off trick but just far to much moisture to fight against for mine

You must have serious leak somewhere shame that such nice cars are let down by monkey designer! in the end of the day people pay damn alot when new for what? for silly things like that sadly all cars are made for quantity these days! I'm not even going to mention yellow grommet

You must have serious leak somewhere shame that such nice cars are let down by monkey designer! in the end of the day people pay damn alot when new for what? for silly things like that sadly all cars are made for quantity these days! I'm not even going to mention yellow grommet
There was enough water in the light to put a fish in!
I did tip the light around to try and sus where it was coming in but nothing. Still no idea.

Replacement arrived today so I'm toying with either selling the old one as its holding up well now with the holes and they arent easy to find at a decent price. Or to open it up to investigate further and have a look as the LED rings so see if I can perhaps solder a brighter led in

Undesided so far....

14 minutes ago, Funknhell said:

well now with the holes and

So that didn't help?

So that didn't help?
Yes worked a treat. But one came up at a good price so thought I would grab it. In the spirit of the BMW I like to throw money at it!!

6 minutes ago, Funknhell said:

Yes worked a treat

Good to know that so maybe others can fix their headlights and use that mod. Is there no condensation at all now? 

Good to know that so maybe others can fix their headlights and use that mod. Is there no condensation at all now? 
Few months on and going strong so here's hoping.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:06 PM, Funknhell said:

Either way I have just purchased a replacement headlight so will be swapping it out next weekend

Have you installed new ones?

1 hour ago, bestdj said:

Have you installed new ones?

As yet no. I have bought a replacement nearside which had the issues only because it came up at a very reasonable price so thought always good as a spare! 

20 minutes ago, Funknhell said:

As yet no. I have bought a replacement nearside which had the issues only because it came up at a very reasonable price so thought always good as a spare! 

So your mod is spot on :D

As for drilling the holes, is it done with the unit out?? And do you think holes in the top of the unit (mine has the false cap on the top which looks like it should undo but doesn’t ) would do the same ? Maybe a waterproof membrane over the holes so it can breath? 

4 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

As for drilling the holes, is it done with the unit out?? And do you think holes in the top of the unit (mine has the false cap on the top which looks like it should undo but doesn’t ) would do the same ? Maybe a waterproof membrane over the holes so it can breath? 

Yes headlight has to be taken off mate and for that top cap you should be able to remove it unless someone sealed it previous owner maybe?