Morningken

BMW insured warranty

Hello everyone, my 540i is out of warranty in a couple of weeks the cars covered just under 10k , I’ve rang bmw insured Warranty today and obtained a quote, it’s also gives a quote for emergency cover or not. Was just wondering if anyone else had taken this out, what your thoughts was and if anyone else had paid similar or cheaper,I look forward to your comments

067EAF6B-8BCA-4F5C-A60B-B5C68BD5F3B1.png

From memory, those prices look similar to the prices I got when I purchased year 4 on my F10 3 years ago (Jan 2017). I never needed to claim on it though, and sold that car in Dec 2017 when I got my G30.

Personally, for the sake of an extra £7 a month on the comprehensive choice I'd take out the emergency cover.

On my X3 I had a quote from BMW and also enquired with the dealership (Lloyds,Colne) who did an identical cover which was significantly cheaper but any work had to be carried out at their dealership which wouldn't have been a problem but I don't know how that would work out if I had issues on a road trip far away.

I didn't have to take any in the end as I part ex'd it for my current 520d before it expired.

9 hours ago, CFD said:

This is an extended warranty, right? Is it really a grand a year? Is that normal for extended warranty on 5ers?

Yes, if you don't want to self insure some through an optional excess and you want breakdown cover, it is over £1k. It was a very similar price for my old F11 that when it went out of warranty in 2013.

I suppose ‘driveline’ is pretty clear but what does ‘named component’ cover?

I took it out for my car when it was 3 years old. I took the best cover, with the highest excess. My whole aim in taking it out was to cover off any huge bills that these cars can throw at you. I was happy to fund the smaller items if needed, but, it was all about covering big bigs for me.

I only did it for one year. Then I signed up a three year deal with a third party company. I chose the best cover (on paper) that was out there, making sure that their hourly labour charge would also ensure I could take it to a BMW dealer.

Edited by nashdm2

I had the comprehensive for 2 years on an F11, which paid for a new rear light cluster (brake light failed, all has to be replaced), air pump and strut for the rear air suspension. Worth every penny, as was the recovery which was needed when the air pump failed and produced a new X3 while it was fixed. When the current G31 reaches that point I'll take the BMW insurance so there's no quibbles.

21 hours ago, Boba said:

I suppose ‘driveline’ is pretty clear but what does ‘named component’ cover?

Answered my own question by looking up the BMW site, clever eh? :ph34r:  ISTM that value wise both the named component and driveline options are quite difficult to judge for the inexpert as there are apparently lots of components not explicitly covered and no easy way of estimating the likelihood of failure or cost of repair.

1 hour ago, Boba said:

Answered my own question by looking up the BMW site, clever eh? :ph34r:  ISTM that value wise both the named component and driveline options are quite difficult to judge for the inexpert as there are apparently lots of components not explicitly covered and no easy way of estimating the likelihood of failure or cost of repair.

agreed , what are you supposed to do? Name half dozen components off the top of your head.

what does driveline mean ? - the transmission and everything associated with it . Thats quite expensive

what does emergency service mean ? Like the RAC once calling itself the 4th emergency service

I would get an independent garage would can fix these cars and the RAC. If it breaks down, tow it to said garage . Mostly cars dont fail nowadays except for minor electrical glitches.. It should be good for 8 years, especially if you have owned for the first 3 years 

By the looks of it, and from the complaints on this forum,  you should expect mostly software glitches. You dont need the main dealer to fix those . The dealer usually ends up swapping out components

I've had mixed experiences if I am honest and overall based on them, haven't had the best experience or value for money.

I've had insured warranty on all my BMW's over approx. 10 years. It paid out several times on my e61 including the entire replacement of the panoramic roof!  In the last year of the F11 I had all sorts of disputes over what even the 3 year manufacturers warranty would cover so when it ran out in March this year I bought an Auto assure warranty which was 2 thirds cheaper than BMW and didn't have half the restrictions, plus it was for 3 years! RAC do a competitive one too. There are some down sides which is that you hand your car over to independents and their wisdom and ways of doing things.. with BMW you hope its all a one shop stop.

Consider the excess.. I paid out nearly the cost of the fully comp BMW warranty insurance with 3 visits in 2014 with my e61. I got some of it back after going in to dispute but it didn't at all feel like I was getting good service. 

The BMW emergency assist is great and got me out of trouble once with all the bells and whistles of the AA. so you should consider its probably worth £100 -£150 if you were to buy like for like from AA/RAC etc.

At the moment I have the comfort of the remainder of my 3 year warranty and bearing in mind my experiences I have several game plans to deploy, if and when!! 

Thanks for everyone’s input I’m still unsure what to do, as everything can be a gamble, but I appreciate everyone’s experience and opinions 

My 520d warranty is running out in March. The quote I got is the same as yours (despite my smaller engine). So you are lucky in this wise. However I drive like 20-25000/year

What is usually advised is that one should keep £1-2000/year for BMW maintenance outside warranty although this may be exaggerating but none of BMW quotes is this expensive.

How much could you spend without blinking eyes would determine excess. So I would either do £250.00 excess with comprehensive cover with or without road side assistance if there is another car you can use

BMW does not provide replacement cars directly anymore but are in agreement with Enterprise who will try and give you the smallest car unless you insist on a BMW when they would find 1 series for you. Every replacement car now comes with £250.00 insurance excess. So if you don’t travel far from home with your G30 and you have another car in the family, the road side assistance might not be worth it. so with this option you could be paying £66/month which does not change no matter how long you keep the warranty for. 

I am making it palatable by thinking that some pay more than £66/month on iPhone and sky subscriptions etc

On 10/01/2020 at 18:01, Morningken said:

Thanks for everyone’s input I’m still unsure what to do, as everything can be a gamble, but I appreciate everyone’s experience and opinions 

What did you end up doing ?