Bigge

new springs, leaking shocks

Hi, im after some advice. I had the the rear springs on my 2011 525d msport changed on chirstmas eve after one had snapped that morning. I brought the springs from a local car parts supplier and had them fitted by a independent garage. This morning iv noticed small oil puddles on the driveway near the rear of the car. After further investigation i can see the both rear shocks are coated in oil and are definitely the cause for the oil on the driveway. I can't do much today so im after some advice before i go to the garage that fitted the springs. Could the leak be caused from being supplied the wrong springs? Or is it linked to a fitting issue? 

Thanks in advance 

You do know F11 don't have rear springs... they have air springs instead (like hgv air suspension).

'Wet' shocks would indicate failure... if you wipe them dry and look again a while later to find them wet, then you need to change them out. Not that difficult a job.

24 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

You do know F11 don't have rear springs... they have air springs instead (like hgv air suspension).

'Wet' shocks would indicate failure... if you wipe them dry and look again a while later to find them wet, then you need to change them out. Not that difficult a job.

It's a F10 with 100k on the clock, could they both fail becuase of the new springs?

Aha... my bad... I skip-read 2011 as F11 ... oopsy.

Entirely possible if the shock were as old as the failed springs. With the car jacked up and the wheels dangling, it's quite possible for old shocks to damage their internal seals - they are designed to be compressed, not dangled.

54 minutes ago, Bigge said:

It's a F10 with 100k on the clock, could they both fail becuase of the new springs?

I doubt the dampers' failing is down to the new springs being fitted unless the technician twisted and yanked the piston rod. If that much oil is seeping out of the dampers the car will become very unstable while driving so youll need to get the garage to check them out.

I've just got back from the garage who fitted the springs and their response has left me a little baffled. They rekon non oem springs can sometimes not be exact with the sizing which could of caused the shocks to leak. 

Sounds like an excuse.

Wrong springs for the weight of vehicle would be an issue.

I'd be very interested to know which sizing is supposed to cause such damage.

3 hours ago, Bigge said:

They rekon non oem springs can sometimes not be exact with the sizing which could of caused the shocks to leak

I agree with @HandyAndy_UK 

People fit shorter springs to their cars all the time without issues. Maybe if the springs were so far away from OEM length to cause the shocks to over extend/compress but that would be really obvious and any decent mechanic would surely notice and warn of the consequences if you insisted on going ahead

How does the car drive? Are the shocks shot? Are you sure the fluid was oil? 

Leaking shocks will be obvious when driving as the handling will be all over the place and are an MOT fail and as suggested above needs to be sorted sharpish. 

Springs need to come off to do the shocks, pity.

I’m amazed at the garage was able to source the correct springs in a single morning. Genuine ones take a day to source. Are they the right ones as the spec down to individual options on a car can alter correct spring parts?

21 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

How does the car drive? Are the shocks shot? Are you sure the fluid was oil? 

Leaking shocks will be obvious when driving as the handling will be all over the place and are an MOT fail and as suggested above needs to be sorted sharpish. 

Springs need to come off to do the shocks, pity.

I’m amazed at the garage was able to source the correct springs in a single morning. Genuine ones take a day to source. Are they the right ones as the spec down to individual options on a car can alter correct spring parts?

To be honest the car doesn't feel any different to drive.

I've dropped the car back off this morning to the garage to get the shocks replaced. Old springs didn't have any part numbers on so i have nothing to compare with. 

Both springs had one sticker on with a barcode on but no part number. The old spring which had not snapped had signs of rust, so was also on the way out. 

Parts supplier is confident they sourced the correct springs for my car. 

I have to accept this situation as bad luck for not changing the shocks at the same time as the springs. I was planning on part exchanging the car in the summer and thought its not worth spending the extra money.

Apart from the egr recall this is the only real issue I've had with the car for over 5 years.

Out of interest, what brand of springs did you go for?

I need to freshen up the rear axle but car will be gone in a year or two's time and don't want to spend mega bucks