Mr_530i

e91 318d reliability and worth

I have the opportunity to buy a e91 318d LCI 2011 as my new daily driver off a mate, which he has had for 5 years. Its got four new tyres on it and dpf removed and its been remapped. 

All Brakes renewed over the last two years. Mileage is 154K and think it had new flywheel and clutch at a 100k. 

He has always done regular oil changes on it, but only when the trip computers tells him to do it. 

My biggest concern is the turbo, not sure he lets the turbo spool down. This will be both my first diesel and turbo car, so the the question is.... and I know its really vague, do you think I would get a  years trouble free motoring out of it,  will the turbo last, and how much should I expect it to depreciate in a years time? 

This would be a car that I wouldn't have any passionate in driving and would purely buy to upgrade from my current accord  with zero street credit until I decide what car I really want. 

Mileage? 

I had a e91 (57plate) 320d, bought it with 151k on the clock with full service history, ran it until it thought a valve would be better suited to being embedded in the bottom of an injector then where it’s normally located..... 

that was at approx 238k! 

the 87k done in my ownership was hard, it decided it liked running on 3 injectors and also the egr valve thought it was better without water in the engine for some reason? 

It cost (other than tyres) approx £450 in that time to keep on the rd. 

the turbo was solid (but that’s not to say it was about to fail?) it was also auto and again, no issues with that either! 

How much are you buying it for? 

As if you pay a grand for it you’ll still get a grand in a years time.

Is it a sport or SE? 

Colour? 

Spec? 

If you’ve got the cash to buy it and you’re happy paying what he wants for it then just get it and keep it filled with oil ;) 

I've bought it now £2940 - but doesn't get handed over to me until another weeks. In that time it will have had an oil change and new MOT put on it. 

Mileage is 154k, its M Sport in white, with black leather interior and usual spec with climate control etc but doesn't have idrive.  Its got the revised N47 Engine, which is N47N where the chain issue was supposed to have been fixed. 

Its a manual 6 speed

Edited by Mr_530i

My ex wife's 2011 318d just had a 1200 quid bill for a timing chain, caught just in time at 156'000 miles. Last year it was a flywheel, clutch and front pulley. On average it's cost a grand a year to maintain it. 

The draft mare paid 8 grand for it in 2017. I didn't laugh, much. It's worth £3500 on a good day. 

At 154'000 the timing  chain - if original - will be about to leave the building. 

The N47 chain issue was never fixed, even up to the last ones in 2014. 

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Just out of curiosity, how many miles is it doing to the gallon?

I personally think they are reasonable engines once the achilles heel(s) have been removed. I have the earlier N47 320d engine which seems to be doing well after two years of ownership.

I removed the DPF, EGR & Swirlflaps - combined with a remap, it will do around 63mpg on the motorway.

They are abit agricultural, but fairly economical.

I wouldn't worry about the turbo, as they are easy to replace - as others have mentioned, I think all N47s are prone to timing chain issues, despite people stating the later ones are not susceptible.

I would budget in a chain replacement if you plan to keep the car a couple of years, keep oil changes regular too - I service ours every 7k.

23 hours ago, Mr_530i said:

what were the signs of it being on the way out? rattle? 

A rhythmic shhh-shhh-shhh from the back of the engine. 

It's a problem as the older leggier ones aren't really worth enough to warrant a four figure bill, but.......

There are so many other things to go tits up on one of these, I'd be tempted to just say 'bollocks to it' tbh. You'd get the chain done, and then the HPFP goes wrong and wipes out the entire fuel system (£2000 minimum repair cost) or the turbo shits itself. Just run it, and bin it off when it goes wrong. 

I’ve backed out the sale. My mate found that rear diff busing mount was leaking. 

That just confirmed that the car is at an age and mileage where it will start costing money to maintain other then the usual service. Which normally I don’t mind but only if it’s a car that I’m passionate about and is rewarding to drive. 

Good plan.

These cars just aren't worth having now. So much to go wrong, none of it cheap to fix. When they're down to 800 quid, maybe! Then they're viable as a breaker to get your $$$ back rather than having to fix it.