rewast

rear seat folding to standard retrofit

Hi guys, so I bought a leather interior for my e34, and as I got round to fitting it. It turns out that my original seats are folding ones.

I really want to put this leather interior in, but ive done a lot of research. Mostly, it's people wanting to fit folding seats into their standard car.

Trying to understand, if I got hold of the seat belt reels, would they mount up, and do I need to get the intenal partition.

I'm starting to wonder, would it be easier to get the back seats retrimmed in leather then all this faff.

A couple of things. First off the folding seat bodyshell is different to the non folding one, party because of the hole, partly I believe because of the other fittings and mounting points needed for the folding seat mechanisms and I assume, seatbelts (I have never directly compared the two types of bodyshell so am making assumptions here) .  Second The main problem with the folding mechanism is that the levers break. If yours are good, I think it will be much easier to keep them and get the set retrimed. Otherwise you probably need to find a non folding bodyshell being scrapped and get off the seat bodyshell fittings. 

Re your question about the rear seat belts, they do sit in their specific frames, you will need those if they aren't common to the folding seat setup. 

how different are the seats themselves?  might be able to swap the covers?

ha, fair enough!  I'm not especially familiar with the saloon, my touring has a split fold seat and the base on that is one piece.

Fitting non folding rear seats is not impossible, but an enormous amount of work. I think you can use the base but the backrest, no. Get your existing ones retrimmed. 

The last E34 I had was a 1994 520i Auto and was most surprised to find the folding seats.