tony2657

Greetings from the other side of the world!

Hi everyone.  I'm not from the UK, but my car is.  It was brought to New Zealand by my father while he was in Europe in the mid-80s, visiting relatives.  He also brought out a red 230 Mercedes Benz.

New Zealand registration records say the BMW was NZ-new but that's not right.  The story was he planned was to keep both cars for a while and then sell one to recover costs. Mum liked the Merc better, but we kept the BMW.

The love of the car has been passed down.  Two of my three sons have BMWs, both manual (photos included). My eldest drove his black E30 325i to his own wedding.  My youngest purchased the red 528i and then set about swapping in an engine from a 535i.  He did the entire job himself (using YouTube and a Bentley manual).

I am determined to keep my green machine in the family for as long as possible but it's now starting to cost money.  Parts in NZ are very expensive and I'm nowhere near as courageous as my sons when it comes to working on it.

Aside from normal maintenance and servicing I've added:
-16in BBS rims. The tyres on the original wheels were non-metric and, at the time I bought the car off my mother, a set would have cost me more than the car!! 
- Clear indicator lenses which I like (but I still have the originals)
- Bilstein Sports shocks and H&R Sport Spring set (sons helped with that)
- BMW Sport Steering Wheel
- New cloth and padding for front seats and recoloured the headlining.

Next on the list is repairing minor panel damage all around, straightening the bumpers, and a paint job.  I can't really afford a full re-spray so I might have to pick which panels get done, and colour-match.

I'd love to find out a bit of the history of the car from new to when it left the UK, but I have no idea how to do that.  Vin is WBADA8205D7598204
Also, in one photo you can see the windows are etched NGP-10Y.  I figure that was anti-theft measure?

Cheers

Tony

IMG_20191229_105219226.jpg

IMG_20191229_112138364_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191229_131721644.jpg

IMG_20191229_112047382_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191229_132001603.jpg

IMG_20191229_112010248_HDR.jpg

redbmw.jpg

IMG_2006.JPG

Edited by tony2657

That registration would put it as 82-83 registered in SW London. Nice motor and I'm sure with NZ climate and lack of salt on the roads it will last a long time. I lived there myself between 96 and 01 - North Shore Auckland and some time in Waikato area. How about you?

13 hours ago, Tims said:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.14349751.1259118376.1577604228-1168401088.1576833587

Your vin is not correct, WBADA8205D7598204 It will not be a D but another number?

Interesting.  When I do a search using the last 7 numbers it comes back as WBADA8205D7598204

Isn't the D (10th place) the model year?

7 hours ago, revjames said:

That registration would put it as 82-83 registered in SW London. Nice motor and I'm sure with NZ climate and lack of salt on the roads it will last a long time. I lived there myself between 96 and 01 - North Shore Auckland and some time in Waikato area. How about you?

Born and bred kiwi.  Christchurch mostly.  But also lived in Rotorua and Wellington for a number of years.  Avoided Auckland if I could :)

13 hours ago, Tims said:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.14349751.1259118376.1577604228-1168401088.1576833587

Your vin is not correct, WBADA8205D7598204 It will not be a D but another number?

Thanks for the link but it requires a UK plate number (which I don't have).  Is it possible to research the MOT history using the VIN?

Hi Tony,

Great pictures, thank you.

I particularly like the number plate "MY E28" that is a nice touch.

The DVLA website for NGP 10Y is that it is a 1983 Green BMW 528i first registered on 7th April 1983.

VIN Number decoder gives a production date of 1st march 1983, 528i Automatic, Opel Grun (171) with an interior code of 0133.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

12 hours ago, tony2657 said:

Born and bred kiwi.  Christchurch mostly.  But also lived in Rotorua and Wellington for a number of years.  Avoided Auckland if I could :)

Understandable. I had the morning and afternoon harbour bridge traffic nightmares every day. Moved south to Morrinsville near Hamilton and lived there for 3 years before heading back and living in Takapuna for aa while. Happy days.

52 minutes ago, tony2657 said:

Ha... I've just realised the number etched on my window is the UK registration number. Doh! 

I'll really need to pay more attention

Yep, window etching the car's registration onto all of the glass was top security in the 80s!

Hi Tony,

I love your car - snap!

I'm the owner of an E28 Opal Grun 528i in Sydney!

I feel your pain with parts sourcing, but I'm now an internet ninja in finding the cheapest parts and may be able to help.

Al

What are the odds of finding two "Opals" amongst the Antipodeans :lol:

Best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

22 hours ago, chemicalal said:

Hi Tony,

I love your car - snap!

I'm the owner of an E28 Opal Grun 528i in Sydney!

I feel your pain with parts sourcing, but I'm now an internet ninja in finding the cheapest parts and may be able to help.

Al

Thanks Al.  Will keep you in mind.