bestdj

Hid conversion kit

17 minutes ago, bestdj said:

Hi everyone

i know that there is few hid related topics but not many with proper answer :unsure:

i found that hid kit anyone could help me if that is good set or ?

https://xenonhids.co.uk/bmw-5-series-f10-2011-hid-xenon-lights-conversion-kit-h7.html

Aren't aftermarket HID kits an automatic MOT fail now?

IMO I wouldn't even consider it on that basis; but it's your car :) 

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Aren't aftermarket HID kits an automatic MOT fail now?

IMO I wouldn't even consider it on that basis; but it's your car :) 

not sure tbh :huh: you can always take them off for mot :D but is that kit wont cause any issues? 

btw my 530i sport touring died last week gearbox lost reverse gear :cry:

1 minute ago, bestdj said:

not sure tbh :huh: you can always take them off for mot :D but is that kit wont cause any issues? 

btw my 530i sport touring died last week gearbox lost reverse gear :cry:

Balls :( Too pricey to fix?

Yeah; if you can remove them easy enough to get it through an MOT that's probably opk; have you looked into retrofitting OEM xenon headlights or is that just too costly?

3 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Balls :( Too pricey to fix?

Yeah; if you can remove them easy enough to get it through an MOT that's probably opk; have you looked into retrofitting OEM xenon headlights or is that just too costly?

dont know the price to fix gearbox yet but going to be 800-1200 easy about retrofiting havent really looked yet want something simple like plug and play

Hi everyone i know that there is few hid related topics but not many with proper answer default_unsure.png

i found that hid kit anyone could help me if that is good set or ?

https://xenonhids.co.uk/bmw-5-series-f10-2011-hid-xenon-lights-conversion-kit-h7.html

I wouldn't. You're setting yourself up for more headache. Either error warnings, or MOT failure. Removing them prior to MOT is a job in itself. 

I thought about doing this to increase brightness, but realised it's more grief than it's worth. If you want it done property take it to BMW, but then be prepared to pay £1500+

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Spreadly said:

I wouldn't. You're setting yourself up for more headache. Either error warnings, or MOT failure. Removing them prior to MOT is a job in itself.

I thought about doing this to increase brightness, but realised it's more grief than it's worth.

so why they promise that no errors etc.. :angry:

1 minute ago, Spreadly said:

You may not get any errors, or you may. It's the risk you take. As long as it comes with the transistor thing, you should be fine.

i have seen similar kit on ebay with over 100 sold

You could try LEDs?

I have LEDs in my projector dipped beam headlights and it's (pun intended) like night and day. So much better than any halogen bulbs!

These are the LEDs I used: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html 

You'll also need to ask them for some clips designed for the F10/F11 to replace the OEM ones.

Despite several hours of swearing, I could not for the life of me fit them but the garage round the corner from my work charged me £80 and did a cracking job. Needed some coding with Bimmercode to tell the car it has LEDs and boom! I can now see where I'm going at night. Would really recommend this mod to those of you with halogens.

2 hours ago, Oodoom said:

You could try LEDs?

I have LEDs in my projector dipped beam headlights and it's (pun intended) like night and day. So much better than any halogen bulbs!

These are the LEDs I used: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html 

You'll also need to ask them for some clips designed for the F10/F11 to replace the OEM ones.

Despite several hours of swearing, I could not for the life of me fit them but the garage round the corner from my work charged me £80 and did a cracking job. Needed some coding with Bimmercode to tell the car it has LEDs and boom! I can now see where I'm going at night. Would really recommend this mod to those of you with halogens.

but are they as good as xenon?

35 minutes ago, bestdj said:

but are they as good as xenon?

I don't honestly know, I haven't tried xenon conversion in my F11 but the LEDs seem as bright as xenons in other cars I've had. Certainly loads better than any halogen bulb I've tried!

Doubt the LED are as bright as xenon yet but it's definitely going that way. I've had led in my projector halogen housing for over two years and no problem with MOT. Beam pattern is fine. I do try to keep the lenses clean though in case they diffuse the light and dazzle anyone. Definitely a more usable light than the halogen bulbs (brighter or just whiter,  dunno). Mine are a few years old too so perhaps the ones linked above are much better these days.

After trying 3 kits which all failed to stay lit & gave errors, I fitted this kit as the place is local (ish). 

https://www.valley-lighting.co.uk/collections/hid-kits-12v-24v/products/custom-led-12v-35w-smart-canbus-hid-kit?variant=30331374993492

Worked perfectly straight away. No errors. Then went and had the headlights checked by an MOT garage. Beam pattern, levels, cut off all perfect. And it has just passed its MOT last week with them fitted too

11 hours ago, beady_uk said:

After trying 3 kits which all failed to stay lit & gave errors, I fitted this kit as the place is local (ish). 

https://www.valley-lighting.co.uk/collections/hid-kits-12v-24v/products/custom-led-12v-35w-smart-canbus-hid-kit?variant=30331374993492

Worked perfectly straight away. No errors. Then went and had the headlights checked by an MOT garage. Beam pattern, levels, cut off all perfect. And it has just passed its MOT last week with them fitted too

Did you fit the kit yourself? 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, beady_uk said:

nice one could you post pics?

33 minutes ago, beady_uk said:

Not much to see really. Just bright lights

Yeah can't see much but thanks anyway