raj2002

Android auto retro fit to f11??

Alright folks, I've had my f11 for about 3 weeks now, we are doing a long drive from london to ireland for Christmas and I've been using the bmw nav system and it's no where near as good as google maps!! 

My biggest annoyance with my car is that it dosent have android auto, allure searching I've done online points to having to install new hardware and spend a whole bunch more money! Is there any other way to get android auto without  balancing my phone on the infotainment  screen?? Thanks 

I and a few others have fitted the android touchscreen kits you can find from various Chinese based sellers.

In my case I initially got the wrong variant (I needed NBT compatible), but once I had the right unit it was silly easy to fit and has been working great ever since.

I added the reverse camera option and am loving it.

I use the included nav app plenty and it's updated for free without trouble.

Effectively it's a 10in Android touchscreen tablet, but the way it's designed it fits into the existing infotainment system, doesn't replace it, so you can still use the existing controller and steering wheel controls.

I and a few others have fitted the android touchscreen kits you can find from various Chinese based sellers.
In my case I initially got the wrong variant (I needed NBT compatible), but once I had the right unit it was silly easy to fit and has been working great ever since.
I added the reverse camera option and am loving it.
I use the included nav app plenty and it's updated for free without trouble.
Effectively it's a 10in Android touchscreen tablet, but the way it's designed it fits into the existing infotainment system, doesn't replace it, so you can still use the existing controller and steering wheel controls.
Do you have some photos of it ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Top one shows how the normal car display now shows.

Second and third are of a couple of the selection and apps screens once in android mode.

3 hours ago, raj2002 said:

Cool, so does it basically mirror your phone screen? Could you send me a link for one of these kits? Thanks 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-9-0-4-32G-Audio-Screen-GPS-Navigation-for-BMW-5Series-F10-F11-M5-2013-17/223603781988?hash=item340fd2f164:g:SjsAAOSwOXBd2O63

This is from the guy I used.... he was unbelievably helpful through the entire process and after. You'd have to be sure you order the correct version for your setup though... and he can guide you through identifying that too.

Mine has the smaller sat nav screen and TBH is adequate for what I want but I am wondering if this is cheaper way of getting a bigger screen. Anybody know if you could replace a smaller screen with a 10" unit?

That's exactly what my upgrade did for mine... I had the basic, small screen and this unit replaces it. My first picture shows the original sizing with the data and the additional area to the right once this upgrade is fitted.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

How's the sound quality? I fitted a similar unit to this into a mondeo a few years ago. The functionality was great but the sound was noticeably worse than the sony unit previously fitted. 

Sounds fine in mine... But then I'm not looking at high end audio... it's a former traffic car, so all the extra sound deadening you get in a standard car, I don't.

Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my CIC Professional (pre-combox) system with one of these android head units and just wanted to get some feedback on your experience using these. I have a few questions below, any feedback will be greatly appreciated

• Are you able to stream music from your phone (Spotify, Apple music etc) via Bluetooth?
  • Can you download and use apps like Waze natively on the device for Nav?
  • Any issues connecting to your phone for calls? Does it use the car's built-in microphones etc.?
  • Is there anything that doesn't work?

@HandyAndy_UK It would be good to get your feedback on this as it seems you've been using it for a while

Edited by rplescia

On 13/01/2020 at 17:16, rplescia said:

Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my CIC Professional (pre-combox) system with one of these android head units and just wanted to get some feedback on your experience using these. I have a few questions below, any feedback will be greatly appreciated

• Are you able to stream music from your phone (Spotify, Apple music etc) via Bluetooth?
  • Can you download and use apps like Waze natively on the device for Nav?
  • Any issues connecting to your phone for calls? Does it use the car's built-in microphones etc.?
  • Is there anything that doesn't work?

@HandyAndy_UK It would be good to get your feedback on this as it seems you've been using it for a while

I've had mine in for quite a bit, yes. It gets used almost every day and I think it's a great upgrade. I don't use bluetooth streaming, I have a 1TB card in it with enough music for around 10 straight days' listening.

For nav, it came with iGo installed, which I've been update maps freely for as it's fullly licensed, but I've also used Google Maps without a problem.

The music player isn't the best app I've come across, but it works fine too.

It can link to the phone via bluetooth and uses it's own mic, but the car already has bluetooth phone fitted and I rarely use that as it is.

Everything works as advertisedand after I changed the supplied reversing camera so I could retain the tailgate switch use, it's been a great and very commonly used addition.

Out of curiosity, can you have the native iDrive screen stretch across the whole with of the display or will it always be divided into 2/3 and 1/3?

i assume you had the business nav before so was a narrower screen. 

if it can be full screen does it not looked stretched, out of proportion?

On 16/01/2020 at 19:15, Wozza345 said:

@HandyAndy_UK Does it have the ability to bluetooth stream audio ? (Thinking of purchasing a combox but might take this option), How does it handle the iDrive ? Thanks

I'll have to give it a try over the weekend... not something I've looked into... as per usual with such things, we only use a fraction of their capabilities.

19 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Out of curiosity, can you have the native iDrive screen stretch across the whole with of the display or will it always be divided into 2/3 and 1/3?

i assume you had the business nav before so was a narrower screen. 

if it can be full screen does it not looked stretched, out of proportion?

The 'standard' info screens are all 2/3 + 1/3 ... the android screens are all fullscreen.

Mine had the tiny, basic screen, being a police build.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, HandyAndy_UK said:

I'll have to give it a try over the weekend... not something I've looked into... as per usual with such things, we only use a fraction of their capabilities.

@HandyAndy_UK Did you give it a go in the end? Any good if you did?

Sorry... ended up a tad busy with work. I'll try to get a chance soon... if only as I'm rather curious myself now.

New to forum as just bought my first 5 series and like a few of the other posts here I have the small screen which albeit functions ok just looks a bit 'lost' so was wondering if i could:

A) - Obtain a larger BMW 10" Screen and plug into existing arrangement but this seems fraught with issues from what I can gather i.e. need to also change head unit, coding to the car etc...

B) - fit Android screen as described within this discussion but just unclear how this works: 

is it self contained and doesn't need to link to your phone to work?

Can it play Spotify?

etc...

So interested to read any input from you guys/girls on this before I take the plunge.

The android units link into the existing setup. Typically meaning you keep whatever function you already have, but would then be able to switch to what is effectively a touchscreen android tablet in place of your old screen.

Depending whose system you fit you'd have whatever preinstalled apps for music, nav, etc. They all have WiFi and Bluetooth so even with nothing preinstalled, you could download your own choice of app.