tallman85

New tires at the back or front?

I’ve got cheap budgets fitted to mine, been a few times in the wet when its started to slide, traction control always kicks in and saves it!

A good burnout should break them in nicely :D

Edited by J.Sayer

I have to say my E60 was really sure footed on the Dunlop SP Sports I had.  It never stepped out unless I provoked it so I could be ready to catch it Dukes of Hazzard style :D 

The F10 on the other hand has been known to step out on me more often than my E60 despite its lesser power and torque. A few pulse increasing moments that's for sure.

43 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I have to say my E60 was really sure footed on the Dunlop SP Sports I had.  It never stepped out unless I provoked it so I could be ready to catch it Dukes of Hazzard style :D 

The F10 on the other hand has been known to step out on me more often than my E60 despite its lesser power and torque. A few pulse increasing moments that's for sure.

those are some expensive tires :)

@535i Andrew how better is the F10 vs E60?  

6 hours ago, tallman85 said:

well, they are not the best brand either....they are BARUM.  Came with them from the UK.  It slipped once in a roundabout when the tarmac was very hot in summer...but traction control brought in straight.  I does not usually dance from the back as i am fuel-conscious.  I thought it would do 33-35mpg but only doing 26mpg :( 

Tallman,

re your fuel consumption, have you done a brim to brim / trip meter calculation?

I ask becaus3e on my last fill up my trip said 376 miles & I was shocked but I only managed to squeeze in 57 litres

The last 3 were after the pump stopped, thats 12.5 gallons in the UK which equates to 30mpg

& I had been doing some very spirited driving plus lot's of crawling in 5 miles of traffic jams.

Also my daily commute is 10 miles door to door, we're in winter here so most mornings sub 5°C

so half of that is warming up.

I have over the last 5k averaged 35mpg with my best on a four hundred mile round trip at a steady 80-85 42mpg.

It's a lot of car to shove along at nearly two tons & the autobox isn't best for economy but stii 26!

1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Tallman,

re your fuel consumption, have you done a brim to brim / trip meter calculation?

I ask becaus3e on my last fill up my trip said 376 miles & I was shocked but I only managed to squeeze in 57 litres

The last 3 were after the pump stopped, thats 12.5 gallons in the UK which equates to 30mpg

& I had been doing some very spirited driving plus lot's of crawling in 5 miles of traffic jams.

Also my daily commute is 10 miles door to door, we're in winter here so most mornings sub 5°C

so half of that is warming up.

I have over the last 5k averaged 35mpg with my best on a four hundred mile round trip at a steady 80-85 42mpg.

It's a lot of car to shove along at nearly two tons & the autobox isn't best for economy but stii 26!

Hello @dirtydirtydiesel

Well my daily use of the car is 10miles to work and 10miles back home.  Those take around 1.5 hours to do :( .  So on my last 400km I managed 25.4mpg to be exact :( sucks.  Average speed is of 30km/h.  And i was stupid enough to by a 3 litre engine!! 

I replaced the stats both of them and car is running to good temperature.  Temperature outside is between 6 to 12 degrees at the moment.  I am driving really careful.  

i am using the car computer to calculate, so what ever the car is showing i am reporting.  What I noticed is that while cruising the needle shows 40-50mpg but the computer says otherwise.

i am happy with 30mpg but looks like a farcry at the mom :( I think something is wrong with my car.

thx.

2 hours ago, tallman85 said:

those are some expensive tires :)

Perhaps but I guess that's why mine 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

was really sure footed on the Dunlop SP Sports I had.  It never stepped out unless I provoked it 

When I was sourcing the tyres for it not only were the Dunlop SP sports on the car from the factory but they were the cheapest A rated for wet braking at the time which to me is the most important characteristic in a tyre.

2 hours ago, tallman85 said:

I still miss the V8 bellow, but for a bigger car it is more nimble in the bends. The F10 has far fewer electrical gremlins but has an air conditioner condenser made from cheese. It takes you back to the E39 inside. The crippling rear tyre inner edge wear on the E60 isn't there on the F10 so they've got that right. It's just as simple to work on bar the need for putting the handbrake into service mode to change the rear pads and discs. But there are ways around that.

18 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

When I was sourcing the tyres for it not only were the Dunlop SP sports on the car from the factory but they were the cheapest A rated for wet braking at the time which to me is the most important characteristic in a tyre.

I still miss the V8 bellow, but for a bigger car it is more nimble in the bends. The F10 has far fewer electrical gremlins but has an air conditioner condenser made from cheese. It takes you back to the E39 inside. The crippling rear tyre inner edge wear on the E60 isn't there on the F10 so they've got that right. It's just as simple to work on bar the need for putting the handbrake into service mode to change the rear pads and discs. But there are ways around that.

the e60 is a bit over complicated i think....too much to go wrong.  Its a great car to drive although i never driven an f10.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I still miss the V8 bellow, but for a bigger car it is more nimble in the bends. The F10 has far fewer electrical gremlins but has an air conditioner condenser made from cheese. It takes you back to the E39 inside. ( The crippling rear tyre inner edge wear on the E60 isn't there on the F10 so they've got that right.)  It's just as simple to work on bar the need for putting the handbrake into service mode to change the rear pads and discs. But there are ways around that.

Andrew tell me more, I posted about my rear tyre wear & the feedback I got was worn rear bushes & rose joints.

But your saying that this is a 'trate' of the E60/61?

Mine isn't terrible but the rears are two thirds worn & both rears on the very inside about 10mm wide are bald.

3 hours ago, tallman85 said:

Hello @dirtydirtydiesel

Well my daily use of the car is 10miles to work and 10miles back home.  Those take around 1.5 hours to do :( .  So on my last 400km I managed 25.4mpg to be exact :( sucks.  Average speed is of 30km/h.  And i was stupid enough to by a 3 litre engine!! 

I replaced the stats both of them and car is running to good temperature.  Temperature outside is between 6 to 12 degrees at the moment.  I am driving really careful.  

i am using the car computer to calculate, so what ever the car is showing i am reporting.  What I noticed is that while cruising the needle shows 40-50mpg but the computer says otherwise.

i am happy with 30mpg but looks like a farcry at the mom :( I think something is wrong with my car.

thx.

Tallman, 

Don't trust the computer,  I've found they always read under.

Next time you put fuel in ( you don't have to brim it) just run it till the remaining mileage on the range & the fuel gauge

are in the same place as when you put some fuel in last time.

Example: gauge halfway between empty & 1/4 , range showing 60 miles,

put in 30 litres (unless you wish to brim it, this is more accurate),

re - set trip, drive normaly,

run till range & gauge say same as before,

Fill up to same as before, ie 30 litres ect,

Then check distance travelled .

Litres ÷ by 4.546 gives UK gallons, 30litres at 30mpg would give you 198miles

If you brim it (65 litres) at 30 mpg would give you 429 miles

My personal average is 500 ish which gives me 35mpg.

I think your commute is killing it, my wife has a very good condition Peugeot 206 1.4 16v petrol

On her town commute she get's 26ish mpg, if I take it to work 45mpg

I'll let her use the 530d for a week & report back, I'm guessing low 20's

7 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Tallman, 

Don't trust the computer,  I've found they always read under.

Next time you put fuel in ( you don't have to brim it) just run it till the remaining mileage on the range & the fuel gauge

are in the same place as when you put some fuel in last time.

Example: gauge halfway between empty & 1/4 , range showing 60 miles,

put in 30 litres (unless you wish to brim it, this is more accurate),

re - set trip, drive normaly,

run till range & gauge say same as before,

Fill up to same as before, ie 30 litres ect,

Then check distance travelled .

Litres ÷ by 4.546 gives UK gallons, 30litres at 30mpg would give you 198miles

If you brim it (65 litres) at 30 mpg would give you 429 miles

My personal average is 500 ish which gives me 35mpg.

I think your commute is killing it, my wife has a very good condition Peugeot 206 1.4 16v petrol

On her town commute she get's 26ish mpg, if I take it to work 45mpg

I'll let her use the 530d for a week & report back, I'm guessing low 20's

Hi @dirtydirtydiesel

Yes, I have to do it manually as regarding the calculation to be exact.

So today I reset all the clocks before I left to work at 6.15 am.  

The journey was 10 miles with light traffic

Time to do it 30 mins

The car reached temperature of 89 degrees after 18 minutes

The temperature outside was 6 to 7.5 degrees 

Averaged 34mpg  which is very good.  However the 2 minutes to park the car it dropped to 31mpg

When it was cruising at some point it was above 36mpg average, but when you stop it kills the mpg.

I am used to driving a Corsa D with 1.3CDTi and that got an average of 45-50mpg daily.  But of course, you cannot compare them.  The BMW is a ship next to it.  

Edited by tallman85

9 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Andrew tell me more, I posted about my rear tyre wear & the feedback I got was worn rear bushes & rose joints.

But your saying that this is a 'trate' of the E60/61?

Mine isn't terrible but the rears are two thirds worn & both rears on the very inside about 10mm wide are bald.

Yes, I ran my 2nd E60 on standard size tyres on 8x18" rims, tyres were 275/35 rfts and despite having the alignment checked (always within tolerance) a couple of times and by different garages the inner edges always wore first. Cough, occasionally down to the canvas. Don't get me wrong it's not like the outer edge was still at 5 or 6 mm when I was at the canvas, more like between 2-3mm after ~18,000 miles a pair. I got twice that out of the E39 rears. 

If you've got something with plenty of twist, the inner edges suffer first in my experience.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes, I ran my 2nd E60 on standard size tyres on 8x18" rims, tyres were 275/35 rfts and despite having the alignment checked (always within tolerance) a couple of times and by different garages the inner edges always wore first. Cough, occasionally down to the canvas. Don't get me wrong it's not like the outer edge was still at 5 or 6 mm when I was at the canvas, more like between 2-3mm after ~18,000 miles a pair. I got twice that out of the E39 rears. 

If you've got something with plenty of twist, the inner edges suffer first in my experience.

Thanks for that Andrew, 

Puts my mind at rest for a while, I was getting ready for a full suspension overhaul. 

Are you sure about your tyre size?  I've got MV2'S 8 x18 the handbook & door pillar state 

245/40/18.

3 hours ago, tallman85 said:

Hi @dirtydirtydiesel

Yes, I have to do it manually as regarding the calculation to be exact.

So today I reset all the clocks before I left to work at 6.15 am.  

The journey was 10 miles with light traffic

Time to do it 30 mins

The car reached temperature of 89 degrees after 18 minutes

The temperature outside was 6 to 7.5 degrees 

Averaged 34mpg  which is very good.  However the 2 minutes to park the car it dropped to 31mpg

When it was cruising at some point it was above 36mpg average, but when you stop it kills the mpg.

I am used to driving a Corsa D with 1.3CDTi and that got an average of 45-50mpg daily.  But of course, you cannot compare them.  The BMW is a ship next to it.  

Tallman,

There you go, much better & very similar commute, conditions & results to me. 

I found that the computer has settled at 32.5 mpg over the last 1000 miles of mixed winter driving with winter tyres on.

Back I'm August, summer tyres, summer fuel blend & temps at 18'C + & no lights 

I was getting 35mpg.

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel
Mistake

5 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Are you sure about your tyre size?  I've got MV2'S 8 x18 the handbook & door pillar state 

245/40/18.

Yup staggered set up on the rear of my E60, style 124.  8x18 up front and 9x18 on the rear. 245/40/18 on the front and 275/35/18 on the rear.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB32-EUR---E60-BMW-545i&diagId=36_0671

DSC_0133.jpg

I rebuilt the front suspension with new lower arms on that one between 70,000 and 77,000 miles.  Track rod ends were changed perhaps 10,000 miles earlier. 

6 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Tallman,

There you go, much better & very similar commute, conditions & results to me. 

I found that the computer has settled at 32.5 mpg over the last 1000 miles of mixed winter driving with winter tyres on.

Back I'm August, summer tyres, summer fuel blend & temps at 18'C + & no lights 

I was getting 35mpg.

continuation on the journey, but way back.  Dropped to 30.3mpg already as more traffic and longer time.  Imagine with ac on how poor it will become.  I need to check back pressures to be sure it’s fine. 

On 14/01/2020 at 10:27, 535i Andrew said:

Yup staggered set up on the rear of my E60, style 124.  8x18 up front and 9x18 on the rear. 245/40/18 on the front and 275/35/18 on the rear.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB32-EUR---E60-BMW-545i&diagId=36_0671

Yes I have them as well, one of the best E60 alloys I think.