tallman85

New tires at the back or front?

Hello

My rear tires are shot and front are still good.  Where should I place the new tires in the front or at the back?

Since car is rwd, im confused.  If it was a fwd the front will win for sure.

what do you think?

thx

My preference has always been for new on the front BUT most tyre places advise the latter ie new on the rear on the basis understeer is easier to deal with.

IMO run the new tyres on the front until they're bedded in and then put them on the back...

Or, just put them on the rears and drive carefully for the first 100 miles or so until the releasing agent is scrubbed away :)

Rear it is :)

im going with MOMO tires...i hope they are good. Medium price and hopefully better than the chinese done by the previous owner.

Front tires go bald quickly because they are the ones doing all the work. unless you are drifting or carrying heavy loads on the back. It is best advised to replace all 4 tires or do a tire rotation every 2 months so all that all 4 tires wear out evenly. if the rear tire tread condition is good then go on with replacing the fronts without any worry.

9 hours ago, ainulhaq said:

Front tires go bald quickly because they are the ones doing all the work.

In a rear wheel drive BMW?  No.  I've never had front tyres wear out faster than the rears on a BMW yet.

New tyres should be on the rear for reasons mentioned unless you have a staggered set up then it doesn't matter. ;)

I'd put the new ones on the rear if it was me

In terms of which last longer - well my car still has the same fronts on it as when I bought it over 7 years ago, whilst I've replaced the rears twice. The fronts passed an MOT last year with no advisory, but they are certainly due for replacement regardless.

I can confirm that new tires at the back since today the car scared the shit out

of me in the rain.  Was waiting in a stop sign to turn right...when i hit the gas..and it was really gently...the car went out of control from the back...

1 hour ago, tallman85 said:

I can confirm that new tires at the back since today the car scared the shit out

of me in the rain.  Was waiting in a stop sign to turn right...when i hit the gas..and it was really gently...the car went out of control from the back...

You've got to be very careful for a few hundred miles until you run them in.

Keliuss

3 hours ago, Keliuss said:

You've got to be very careful for a few hundred miles until you run them in.

Keliuss

hi @Keliuss

thx for the heads up.

at the moment I am still on the old tires at the rear...hence the spin. Didn’t find the time to change them yet

Genuine question. How hard are people on the accelerator? I like to think i have been known to exploit the potential of my cars but even in my e28 on track (supposedly tail happy) i very rarely kicked the tail out, on the road with the shocking metrics again one needed to give it some provocation.

e36 M3 - again being a lout you could slide it but not unexpectedly.

On my e39 and e46 3.0 diesels i don't think i have ever had a "moment" i have tried to create.

Some times my tyres are worn too!

Someone once said the throttle is not a switch and that has stuck with me!

Not a dig just this doesn't chime with me.

I've had a couple of frights cornering with new tyres on the rear, despite me trying to take it very easy while they were being run in. Another time not on new tyres I lost the rear (only a little) on a roundabout outside work. I happened to mention it to a colleague and he said it happened to just about everyone that morning. We went out for a look expecting to find oil, or sand if the oil had been reported. We found neither so who knows. Road was dry.

Keliuss

Well in my case, I had my wife with both my baby and toddler, so I was driving really careful but somehow I lost the rear.  Traction control kicked in but I released the pedal so the car came in position again.  To be honest, I am used to driving an Opel with 90ps...so might have pressed it as if it were the Opel.  This one has 235ps...so might explain it too.  To be honest, I am more suspecting that there was some oil or debris from the rain....but it was not nice since i was not prepared.   One thing is that my tires only have left like 3-4mm of thread. 

Obviously a diesel spill or similar one cannot predict i just mean in day to day driving.

3-4mm is still legal though (1.6mm min, advise change at 2 and 3 in germany i think) so whilst not new they're not quite spent.

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Obviously a diesel spill or similar one cannot predict i just mean in day to day driving.

3-4mm is still legal though (1.6mm min, advise change at 2 and 3 in germany i think) so whilst not new they're not quite spent.

well, they are not the best brand either....they are BARUM.  Came with them from the UK.  It slipped once in a roundabout when the tarmac was very hot in summer...but traction control brought in straight.  I does not usually dance from the back as i am fuel-conscious.  I thought it would do 33-35mpg but only doing 26mpg :( 

Yeh fair enough, the metric's on my M535i even with tread had a much lower level of grip than the Goodyear i replaced them with.

As i say not a specific dig at anyone, just curious as (touch wood) any slip has been provoked.

To be honest i plan to find an empty parking and switch off the traction to see how it dances...but alone and only once.  I don’t want to damage the transmission...everything is expensive with these cars.

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Best do it on these tyres to finish them off! B)

that’s the plan mate :)