Morph

G30 530e emergency braking issue

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the auto emergency braking facility on the G30 5 series?

Today I was driving on the motorway at 40mph in roadworks when, without warning, the car automatically emergency braked. It was only for a split second but enough to apply the antilock brakes and reduce speed from 40 to 30 mph. There was no warning of potential system intervention beforehand. 

it came as quite a shock and luckily the car behind was not close otherwise it could have been quite dangerous!!!

I was about 4 car lengths from the car in front which was maintaining a constant speed with seemingly no reason to activate.

Luckily I caught the event on the front and rear dashcams together with the  surprised yell from my wife in the passenger seat.

After the event the car drove normally.

I’ll report to BMW tomorrow.

Edited by Morph

I had it happen several times before. Car brake checked a van driver on a slip road once. He had a right pop at me, I tried to explain that it wasn't me but the car but he wasn't having any of it. BMW assistance came out to see me, read codes and found noting. They told me to wipe the KAFAS cameras often, especially in winter. 

Dealership did do an upgrade on the software when it was taken in later however as they found issues. Maybe worth a visit. 

I’ve had this several times.

Two regular reasons are:

Car in front on the motorway pulls in. When it is halfway across a lane it brakes.

Down a country lane at a right hand bend when there is a car in a lay-by on the left hand side, or waiting to emerge from a side road.

i had a windscreen replaced which comes with new cameras. That is a right faff as you have to recalibrate the cameras which involves going for a drive with the windscreen man. Since then I was driving along the road past my estate which I do all the time, and it braked due to two pedestrians walking along the left hand footpath. It’s never done that before. I had it checked at service and all is apparently well. 

you can reduce the sensitivity which helps. 

1 hour ago, Geegee said:

i had a windscreen replaced which comes with new cameras.

No it doesn't. Comes with new bracket on Windscreen as as any movement could cause issues, cameras need to be re calibrated  

I have turned mine down to 'minimum' sensitivity setting but it still does it occasionally. Very scary when it happens. I get the jangly 'telephone bell' sometimes too. I'm half way to answering my phone before I realize what it is. If the system isn't foolproof then I would rather not have it at all. I just wish that I didn't have to pay for it. If this is the best that they can do I hope that they don't try to make a 'self-driving' car! 

7 hours ago, sjak92 said:

No it doesn't. Comes with new bracket on Windscreen as as any movement could cause issues, cameras need to be re calibrated  

I can assure you it does as I watched it being fitted. The cameras are bonded to the windscreen. And as I said in my post, the cameras were recalibrated and I had to drive while it was done.

Thanks for your feedback all. It’s a bit scary that it does seem to happen a little more often than I expected!!! The worry I have that if I have a tailgater on the motorway and the system activated suddenly, it could result in a rear end shunt or worse. It’s only happened on the one occasion so far (May 19 registered/11k miles so far) but it was scary!! I’ve posted the dashcam footage where you can here the wife’s reaction!! I’ll take it into the dealers and get it checked. 

On 13/12/2019 at 23:14, Geegee said:

I can assure you it does as I watched it being fitted. The cameras are bonded to the windscreen. And as I said in my post, the cameras were recalibrated and I had to drive while it was done.

Unless you had a fault with your cameras they would not be replaced. All Cameras are in the housing behind rear view mirror, however, they are not replaced. That KAFAS camera is well over £1k from BMW. It would make no sense whatsoever to change it and no insurer would offer you windscreen replacement on any modern BMW 

In the 15 months I've been driving my G30 I've also had this happen once.

I've then adjusted the front collision warning setting to "late", and haven't had it happen again since.

I seem to have noticed that when it's raining, the parking-sensors sometimes are over-sensitive.  Occasionally when I'm in a queue it brings up the parkingsensor screen claiming i'm getting too close to the car in front of me (while there is still plenty of space).

Sometimes get it from the back sensors as well, when I check the camera image the car behind me is at a normal distance.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve got the car booked into BMW on Monday so I’ll see what they come up with but I guess it’s something that may happen very occasionally looking at the other feedback.

I’ve not had any issues with the front and rear sensors though. 

It’s only happened once and I’ve got the setting set to high sensitivity so I’ll see how it goes and maybe reduce the sensitivity.