Jamaican

Whats your mpg? 525I averaging 14 mpg?

I'd start with scanning for fault codes and then a full service if its not had one for a while (fuel/air/oil filters, oil & plugs) then go from there.

What sort of journeys are you doing? if its lots of start from cold short trips in traffic then it will be poor!

Definitely something amiss and the codes will need to be read to be sure as @duncan-uk mentioned.  But the obvious culprits are the basic service and which he mentioned and check the intake hoses for splits as they are well hidden.  For the record I'm averaging about 20-22mpg around town for short journeys around Harrow, NW London but on a dual carriageways and motorways I can easily get 30 plus driving spiritedly and thats the 530i Sport with a manual box.

I know this sounds daft (and i am just a working class lad with little spare cash)...i seldom care about the mpg from my 525i se simply because i love driving the damn thing and know a price has to be payed for driving a luxury car!lol

I agree.  Mpg is only a part of running costs and overall there is value of enjoyment in driving an i6 petrol and people tend to miss that point.  One of the several reasons I've never owned a diesel car.  I think the issue here though  may be also that if mpg is a lot lower than usual or expected for a similar car  then something might be broken or wrong.  It does seem a bit low unless driven very hard.

Classic cause of massive fuel consumption is a broken (stuck-open) thermostat.

Does the coolant temp gauge get up to normal (needle vertical*)? if not, then look at the thermostat.

*This is a 'smoothed' reading, btw: vertical needle = 'everything normal once warmed u) so if its not close to stright up after warm-up /at least 5miles of use - something's wrong.

Oh, and the line just above blue on the gauge =c.60degC from watching OBD data on a couple of E39s.

(Just to answer the question - v8 petrol auto, average about 28mpg overall, 33-35 on a long run is possible)

14 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I'd start with scanning for fault codes and then a full service if its not had one for a while (fuel/air/oil filters, oil & plugs) then go from there.

What sort of journeys are you doing? if its lots of start from cold short trips in traffic then it will be poor!

I have a obd2 scanner and used torque app, i scanned for codes and it found nothing.

4 hours ago, Huff said:

Classic cause of massive fuel consumption is a broken (stuck-open) thermostat.

Does the coolant temp gauge get up to normal (needle vertical*)? if not, then look at the thermostat.

*This is a 'smoothed' reading, btw: vertical needle = 'everything normal once warmed u) so if its not close to stright up after warm-up /at least 5miles of use - something's wrong.

Oh, and the line just above blue on the gauge =c.60degC from watching OBD data on a couple of E39s.

(Just to answer the question - v8 petrol auto, average about 28mpg overall, 33-35 on a long run is possible)

It is usually half way, last week it was reading cold

1 hour ago, Busterbvi said:

I'm getting 32 / 36 poncing around, 42 motorway. 525i Auto.

525i or 525d?

Sounds too good to be truth for 2.5 petrol engine with automatic transmission. 

18 hours ago, Ray112 said:

525i or 525d?

Sounds too good to be truth for 2.5 petrol engine with automatic transmission. 

525i Auto, car and engine is in perfect condition and driven smoothly. Best I've seen is 43mpg on motorway.  Always over 30mpg running around town.

20190421_175654.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

1 hour ago, Busterbvi said:

525i Auto, car and engine is in perfect condition and driven smoothly. Best I've seen is 43mpg on motorway.  Always over 30mpg running around town.

20190421_175654.jpg

How many miles are you getting out of full tank?

1998 528 Touring 5 speed manual around town, B road and A roads and I get 32mpg when driven fairly carefully .... and it's got an intermittent misfire !!!

If hooning it (which I never do of course) then mid to low 20s mpg !!!!!