Jump to content
raj2002

520d msport touring water in battery tray

Recommended Posts

Hey folks, im after a bit of help, ive just bought a 2015 520d msport touring and and have discovered the battery sitting in about a inch of water, it has caused a module for the parking brake to become faulty according to my local garage, thankfully there is a guarantee from the dealership and they are paying for the repairs but i want to know if anyone has experienced water ingress to the battery tray and what causes it so i can monitor it and make sure it dosent happen again. thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, did you resolve this issue.

Water in the battery tray seems to be a common problem but the solution to it, is not easy to discover.

Thanks..

Edited by damo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albeit a saloon and not a wagon, I had failed to refit the trim panel in my boot which provides support to the boot seal.  I had left it off as I was messing with the towbar wiring.  I then found water in my battery well and refitted the trim panel to ensure the boot seal was kept in its correct position and the well is dry.

 

Other than the boot seal it could be from sunroof drains if you have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The covers directly above are all dry so I assume it's running down the sides. I'll have to come up with some sort of system to establish which side its dripping down from.  It's also in the storage area that's below the fuse panel in the boot. 

I'm  going to remove the body panel light cluster and see what i can find out from there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just had the same problem - my F10 520D saloon cut out on the motorway and refused to start for quite some time.  I managed to get it home and discovered about 2 inches of water in the battery compartment.  

 

I suspect there is a drain hole in the boot seal (which has become blocked) and will start proper investigations tomorrow.  I'll let you know how I get on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 3:48 PM, ebo555 said:

I've just had the same problem - my F10 520D saloon cut out on the motorway and refused to start for quite some time.  I managed to get it home and discovered about 2 inches of water in the battery compartment.  

 

I suspect there is a drain hole in the boot seal (which has become blocked) and will start proper investigations tomorrow.  I'll let you know how I get on...

Did you find the source to this leak? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi SkyNet5,

 

There are 3 control modules in the boot and all 3 were totally waterlogged - I managed to dry these out and replaced the battery.  I am pleased to say that everything works just fine now.

 

The leak is still there however and I am trying to narrow the field by eliminating various possibilities.   I suspect the gasket around the tail lights, but who knows?!

 

I did find that drain hole below the fuel filler was blocked, so I cleared that.   I've poured lots of water down the guttering around the boot lid aperture and found no leaks - I'm just going out now to do some more investigation.

 

I bought a cheap moisture alarm from Amazon and I've installed this beside the battery - it at least gives me some warning when water gets into the compartment (it has already saved me once) and I'll keep it installed until I get this problem fixed.  I recommend doing this as you'll get an early warning, if water starts sloshing around the battery (well before any electronic control modules are ruined...).

 

I'll update you if I find anything interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. I also have this issue with my 2013 F11. Just spent a few hours drying out the battery compartment this evening. One of my modules had moisture on the wires by the connection but no sign of any electrical faults so far thankfully.

 

Any firm ideas where it’s coming from? Noticed that the air vent section below the fuse box on the right of the boot area is basically open to the elements if you look at it from under the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same issue. I was washing the car the other weekend and notice allot of water getting in the boot, I had a look around and noticed that a small section of the seal around the boot opening was snagged up behind a peice of plastic trim, I rearranged it and the problem is now sorted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, raj2002 said:

I had a look around and noticed that a small section of the seal around the boot opening was snagged up behind a peice of plastic trim, I rearranged it and the problem is now sorted. 

 

Exactly the issue I had albeit on my saloon.

 

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:42, 535i Andrew said:

Albeit a saloon and not a wagon, I had failed to refit the trim panel in my boot which provides support to the boot seal.  I had left it off as I was messing with the towbar wiring.  I then found water in my battery well and refitted the trim panel to ensure the boot seal was kept in its correct position and the well is dry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×