Steve van hool

Digital dashboards!

Does anyone have any strong views one way or another, on the prevalence of digital dashboards on a lot of new or current cars, for me, call me old fashioned, but you cannot beat the old set up of a speedo, rev counter, fuel, and temp gauge, it's progress of a kind I suppose, but are there any real advantages to a digital dash.

I guess a fully digital dash is far cheaper now to make than one with needles that move. More accurate perhaps too and it can display graphics too so lots of information can be displayed to the driver easily that you didn’t get on older cars. 

My 1990 Senator has a digital dash which was hated by the press back in the day. I quite liked it. 

I quite like the digital dash when they're set up to look like the old style dashes.

BMW Park Lane have a 2019 520d touring, which they use to shuttle customers to the train/tube station, once they've dropped their cars in. That has a good looking digital dash set to look like traditional style.

It's when it's a digital dash with numbers and G-force counters all over the place that I think it's become ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

More Cost effective, more configurable and more modern. I like them and have had every iteration of the BMW digital Dash from F series cars to current iDrive 7. On he flip side, if you have a HUD, the cluster becomes redundant really. 

I hate them all - especially the latest BMW 3 Series et al.  The only exception to this so far was the dash on the Vauxhall Senator circa 1990 - I got on OK with that.  I have ranted on this subject too many times though, so no more!

When you say digital do you mean a screen instead of physical dials?

If you do then yes, I have one in my car and I love it, so much more up to date.

It still has the conventional looking rev counter, speedo, temp and fuel guages, but the centres and the space in between are configurable. At the moment I have it as the picture but in the centre I now have the track, album and artwork that's playing on my iPod instead of avg consumption.

1-163.jpg

4 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

When you say digital do you mean a screen instead of physical dials?

If you do then yes, I have one in my car and I love it, so much more up to date.

It still has the conventional looking rev counter, speedo, temp and fuel guages, but the centres and the space in between are configurable. At the moment I have it as the picture but in the centre I now have the track, album and artwork that's playing on my iPod instead of avg consumption.

1-163.jpg

What model are you driving? I've recently purchased a 19 plate 520d and I've not found a setting to configure the display. It only changes for me when I put it in sport or eco mode or am I missing something?

My Arteon has a digital dash. My z4 is analogue. 

Prefer the digital one as it is very adaptable and you can navigate through it which becomes intuitive. 

Thumbs up from me. 

I have one in my F11, and I like the look of the new one. Every picture I see of the new one, it is showing a map in the middle of the screen which then merges into the other dials. That would have to go if I owned one, so, I assume you can remove that in the settings?

16 hours ago, AnilS said:

My Arteon has a digital dash. My z4 is analogue. 

Prefer the digital one as it is very adaptable and you can navigate through it which becomes intuitive. 

That's just it for me - I'm not interested in navigating or adapting anything - I just want what I need to be there, in front of me - as it is in my F10, and has been in every BMW I've had up to this point.

Well, it's been a good couple of years since I posted here, but I've still been following some of the threads.  Some of you may remember I had (briefly) an E39 Champagne II.  I still think they are one of the best looking cars ever made.  Hi to AnilS btw.

Anyways, to chip in to the digital dash thing.  I have left the internal combustion engine fold and now have a two year lease on a Tesla Model 3 Performance.  It's like nothing else I've ever driven - until you drive one of these things you will not believe the instant torque that just launches you towards distant horizons, no matter what speed you happen to be doing.  It's like your brain is hard wired to the throttle.  0-60 in 3 seconds, 30-70 in 2.8!!!!

Almost all controls are managed via the central 15" touchcreen.  I find this not to be a problem at all, although it won't be to everyones taste.  Speed is on the top right, always in line of sight and very easy to read.  The Nav (they use Google maps with Teslas own overlay) is utterly brilliant, and the music and video capabilities are second to none in my view.  FM, DAB, TuneIn (internet) radio, Spotify and...  USB which has my complete (20,000+ tracks including 300+ FLAC albums) on it.  When in Park, it also has YouTube and NetFlix and...  access to my Plex home server with nearly 500 movies and almost 100 TV series.  All in full screen.

Overall, it's utterly fantastic, but I do have a couple of things I would like to see improved:

1. Range.  In reality, on a cold day at motorway speeds it's 230-240 miles.  Tesla have their own charging network so that's not really a problem.  On the plus side, I wake up every morning with a full charge so never, ever think about range when I'm at home tootling about.

2.  Road noise.  It's a bit louder than it should be, mostly down to 20" wheels and low profile tyres, especially on concrete surfaces, but Tesla really do need to do something about it. 

Oh, and it's very, very cheap to fuel up.  250 miles costs about £11.

Pics attached

Cheers all and happy new year

Paul

Dash.jpg

My Tesla.jpg

Edited by rincewind
addition to text

4 minutes ago, rincewind said:

Overall, it's utterly fantastic, but I do have a couple of things I would like to see improved:

1. Range.  In reality, on a cold day at motorway speeds it's 230-240 miles.  Tesla have their own charging network so that's not really a problem.  On the plus side, I wake up every morning with a full charge so never, ever think about range when I'm at home tootling about.

Dash.jpg

A range of 240 miles would be OK most of the time, but unfortunately I drive from Inverness to Dublin twice a year - and this car couldn't do that without a recharge, so no go for me.  It's cheap to charge up - AT THE MOMENT.  This will change, trust me.  Once most cars on the road are electric, the tax will come.

As for that dash?  That is my worst nightmare come true.  This is where cars become white goods.

14 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

A range of 240 miles would be OK most of the time, but unfortunately I drive from Inverness to Dublin twice a year - and this car couldn't do that without a recharge, so no go for me.  It's cheap to charge up - AT THE MOMENT.  This will change, trust me.  Once most cars on the road are electric, the tax will come.

As for that dash?  That is my worst nightmare come true.  This is where cars become white goods.

diesel was less than half the price of petrol. As soon as more people used it it went up. Now more than petrol. LPG going same way although not so many new cars using it now. Electricity - smart meters being pushed on everyone, smart meters will know how much electricity being used for car charging and WILL be a higher rate.

45 minutes ago, rincewind said:

Well, it's been a good couple of years since I posted here, but I've still been following some of the threads.  Some of you may remember I had (briefly) an E39 Champagne II.  I still think they are one of the best looking cars ever made.  Hi to AnilS btw.

Anyways, to chip in to the digital dash thing.  I have left the internal combustion engine fold and now have a two year lease on a Tesla Model 3 Performance.  It's like nothing else I've ever driven - until you drive one of these things you will not believe the instant torque that just launches you towards distant horizons, no matter what speed you happen to be doing.  It's like your brain is hard wired to the throttle.  0-60 in 3 seconds, 30-70 in 2.8!!!!

Almost all controls are managed via the central 15" touchcreen.  I find this not to be a problem at all, although it won't be to everyones taste.  Speed is on the top right, always in line of sight and very easy to read.  The Nav (they use Google maps with Teslas own overlay) is utterly brilliant, and the music and video capabilities are second to none in my view.  FM, DAB, TuneIn (internet) radio, Spotify and...  USB which has my complete (20,000+ tracks including 300+ FLAC albums) on it.  When in Park, it also has YouTube and NetFlix and...  access to my Plex home server with nearly 500 movies and almost 100 TV series.  All in full screen.

2.  Road noise.  It's a bit louder than it should be, mostly down to 20" wheels and low profile tyres, especially on concrete surfaces, but Tesla really do need to do something about it. 

Pics attached

Cheers all and happy new year

Paul

Dash.jpg

My Tesla.jpg

Good to see you back on here & that's a cracking car 8) 

Really like the alloys too :mrgreen: