MadeinWigan

E34 540i/6T again

There is a somewhat ropey looking orange charger under a tarp near me. I often wonder what the deal is with it. They have other sheddy cars too so suspect it will slowly return to the earth before it gets fixed :(

Thanks Carl. I’ve been using it far more than I intended to. I’ve decided it’s going to stay standard, I am really enjoying the relaxed gearing and soft suspension. It will be going on to 16 inch e39 Style 5’s and I’ll just use it for daily duties and as a tow car. 

The Caterham is up and running, did a track day at Oulton Park yesterday and loved it.

86EF8E86-933A-41CC-AC9A-23B742339A5D.jpeg

As far as the 540 goes, it needs quite a bit fixing  but is enjoyable as is. The list is long:-

steering idler to replace

sill patching for now 

new brake lines

heater only blows hot air

random weeping gaskets to fix

locks are all out of sync 

Rear wiper inoperative 

sunroof goosed
air con knackered 

sure there’s a lot more but It still feels great to drive and sounds v8y so all is good.

On 15/01/2020 at 12:05, duncan-uk said:

There is a somewhat ropey looking orange charger under a tarp near me. I often wonder what the deal is with it. They have other sheddy cars too so suspect it will slowly return to the earth before it gets fixed :(

It’s a shame how they rot away when left outside. Saw the Charger the other day, always wanted one but still can’t get over how big they are.

002A7019-4CB7-4835-9F9F-5529C875139E.jpeg

A1881DA0-18E6-4A73-B10E-AD918E8AC21E.jpeg

6A18365B-8107-46C2-9979-DEE5700891E0.jpeg

Looks like the “cliche” 69 charger that everybody likes.

standard 383 and 3 speed 727. If they’re lucky it will have a 8.75 diff (otherwise a 7.25), very likely to be single spinner looking at the low spec of the car.

grew up dreaming about owning a general lee. Still in my wishlist but I learned how mediocre chargers can be (like any other American muscle car) in normal conditions (ie not sliding on a Rally stage)

tired of seeing general lee replicas though, I think they look cool in black or blue.

the best engine for them is a hot 383, since factory 426s would cost like a 458 Italia!

sorry I’m a muscle car nerd.

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. I couldn’t have a General Lee replica now. Like you say, a nice darker colour. With the way prices have gone I don’t think I’ll ever own a muscle car now. 

My 'kids' are in their 20s and wouldn't have a clue what a General Lee was/is.

I'd drive one anyday...

Edited by Loadmaster

First offer to you lovely bunch, I may be getting my old touring back depending on me selling this one. Roll up roll up. £3k and it’s yours.

Jobs needed off the top of my head.

Service

Passenger front window reseating

sills patching or replacing

Steering idler replacing 

Brake lines on their last legs

Sunroof needs leak fixing, redneck fixed with tape for now.

Other than that it’s great, has had lots of new suspension bits, sls works well. New brakes including callipers. Pulls well, sounds great.

Bodywork, has a few blemishes and corrosion on the bottom of the doors and bonnet. Interior good condition. Air con not working. 

I’ll knock a proper advert up soon but thought I’d put it here first.

As in your buying the Avus car back?! Hard to know which one as you have had so many!

On 02/05/2020 at 14:37, MadeinWigan said:

First offer to you lovely bunch, I may be getting my old touring back depending on me selling this one. Roll up roll up. £3k and it’s yours.

Jobs needed off the top of my head.

Service

Passenger front window reseating

sills patching or replacing

Steering idler replacing 

Brake lines on their last legs

Sunroof needs leak fixing, redneck fixed with tape for now.

Other than that it’s great, has had lots of new suspension bits, sls works well. New brakes including callipers. Pulls well, sounds great.

Bodywork, has a few blemishes and corrosion on the bottom of the doors and bonnet. Interior good condition. Air con not working. 

I’ll knock a proper advert up soon but thought I’d put it here 

Good to see your still attempting to own every 540i touring in the country.... :)

12 hours ago, 540v8 said:

Good to see your still attempting to own every 540i touring in the country.... :)

There’s always more out there! Have you still got your 540?

38 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

Avus, Calypso, Silver, Gold so far I think - which are thinking of getting back, avus or calypso?

Don’t forget the first ever 540i/6t I had, a black one.

Yes, I’m wondering about the Avus one Duncan.

On 12/05/2020 at 14:40, MadeinWigan said:

Don’t forget the first ever 540i/6t I had, a black one.

Yes, I’m wondering about the Avus one Duncan.

I hope you get the Avus back :wub: