gilescooperuk

Headlamps very poor

Been a while since I was on here but now have a question.

The headlamps on my e34 are to put it mildly pathetic, I recently changed jobs and instead of driving through the nicely lit Peterborough parkways now have to venture to the wilds of Lincolnshire. Where street lamps are few and far between....

I have put new bulbs in and still the light is best described as poor.

Now I think you can open up the dipped beam assembly and clean the prism inside but these are 30 year old plastic parts and may bit a bit brittle, or I could buy a set of aftermarket lamps off eBay or similar but I and not sure how much better they would be.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Giles

They do work and I just upgraded to Osram 130% or something brighter bulbs.

looks like I need to pull them apart and see if the projector lens has a load of dirt on it.

the bulbs are bright as I found when testing them last night so I guess it is the lens that is killing the output.

you can get some replacements off eBay but they don’t looks that good

it appears you can get need units from Europe but they aren’t any good for us being right hand drive...

Edited by gilescooperuk

If you think E34 headlights are bad, try a MK2 golf. My dear life, they were absolutely shocking. Almost to the point is was dangerous as I couldn't see where I was driving on dipped beam!

I think I ended putting osram night breakers or equivalent Philips bulbs +130% which definitely helped.

I polished the lenses of my E34....didn't do much being glass apart from make them smoother haha. I put brighter bulbs in, but I can't comment on how well they work as I haven't driven it at night for about 9 months!

I think part of the problem is that modern cars have much better light output.  Older headlights are effectively drowned out, adding to the perception that they're crap. 

Keliuss 

Edited by Keliuss

9 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

+1 agreed

I'd agree with that - I think it has got a lot worse since Peterborough replaced all the sodium street lights with LED units, when you drive out of the range of those then it is very sudden the loss of light.

Going back on subject - I dropped into the local dealer this morning - and their computers were down. I don't expect them to have spares on the shelf but they could get me the correct part numbers to search against.

I have also seen these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283654745482?ul_noapp=true

Not exactly original looking but a reasonable price if they can be converted to RHD and it means if I take the originals out to refurb them then I don't risk having to rush because I need the car that evening.

Giles

Who's running HIDs?

I'm told these do wonders for e34s as they have the projector style head light unit, they really mesh well with the upgrade. Considering it myself at the moment.

On 12/7/2019 at 10:47 AM, Keliuss said:

I think part of the problem is that modern cars have much better light output.  Older headlights are effectively drowned out, adding to the perception that they're crap. 

Keliuss 

Yep. We didn't know any different back then.

I put HIDs in mine last winter, they do work well with the projectors, tried various nightbreaker type bulbs which make little difference. The HIDs are a huge improvement and actually light the road up in front of the car. I gave the ebay ones a miss and bought the 5000k 35W kit from HIDS4U, nicely made and good quality.

The kit is mostly plug and play, just made a hole in the black cap for the grommet and soldered two wires inside the cap.

As MOT seems to be a grey area ( I think they need to be fitted from new), I put the candles back in for MOT time, which means having another pair of black caps.

hid1.jpg

hid2.jpg

Id like to jump on this, I've recently bought a new set of headlamps and was thinking about using LED headlight bulbs, anyone done this yet? Be nice to see so pictures of the light output