Boba

Esys

I bought an OBD->Ethernet cable for ISTA and it came with a CD with an old chineseified version of Esys. Looks too doubtful to try but it caused me to do a bit of browsing.

Is Esys still viable for the G30/31? If so where can I get it? Browsing around there are endless Esys threads talking about Premium, Pro, Launcher etc. but does anyone know if it can still be downloaded from somewhere and used successfully?

Edited by Boba

8 hours ago, Boba said:

I bought an OBD->Ethernet cable for ISTA and it came with a CD with an old chineseified version of Esys. Looks too doubtful to try but it caused me to do a bit of browsing.

Is Esys still viable for the G30/31? If so where can I get it? Browsing around there are endless Esys threads talking about Premium, Pro, Launcher etc. but does anyone know if it can still be downloaded from somewhere and used successfully?

For ESYS to be used on the Gxx cars you need to use ESYS Launcher Pro v3.x. This is only available from the developer "TokenMaster" and is now donationware. Launcher Pro v2.8 is available and easily downloaded but the text mapping for the different modules changed on the Gxx cars so you risk coding a module incorrectly with the earlier version. Don't use or install the version of Launcher Pro that came with the cable as they are just hacking the "TokenMaster" version and you can't be sure of its integrity.

I don't see anything I need to code on the G32 so haven't bothered with the newer version.

On 04/12/2019 at 23:53, Matthew Ashton said:

For ESYS to be used on the Gxx cars you need to use ESYS Launcher Pro v3.x. This is only available from the developer "TokenMaster" and is now donationware. Launcher Pro v2.8 is available and easily downloaded but the text mapping for the different modules changed on the Gxx cars so you risk coding a module incorrectly with the earlier version. Don't use or install the version of Launcher Pro that came with the cable as they are just hacking the "TokenMaster" version and you can't be sure of its integrity.

I don't see anything I need to code on the G32 so haven't bothered with the newer version.

See PM

I've used esys to code the stop-start remember last setting thing and it worked fine

As said you do need the Pro launcher (I use mine with a script from tonytwoclicks that resets the date on the laptop.

You also need the latest psdzdata as well

I had no issues with my 2019 520i although I had to start the engine before all modules became visible which I never had to do on my old F30 328i

On 05/12/2019 at 00:53, Matthew Ashton said:

Hi,

I am new to Esys coding. I coded my e61 with NCS expert and planning to buy G31 so I've been learning how to code this car.

Well I must say you really scared me with this post. What would you suggest as the safest way to code G31? Unfortunately TM does not responding. What could by the right apps to code G31?

Thank you for help,

Michal

37 minutes ago, Michal said:

Hi,

I am new to Esys coding. I coded my e61 with NCS expert and planning to buy G31 so I've been learning how to code this car.

Well I must say you really scared me with this post. What would you suggest as the safest way to code G31? Unfortunately TM does not responding. What could by the right apps to code G31?

Thank you for help,

Michal

The only viable option is something like Bimmercode which I've never used just read about other's experience on the Internet. What do you want to code as most things are already active on UK spec'd cars.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

44 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The only viable option is something like Bimmercode which I've never used just read about other's experience on the Internet. What do you want to code as most things are already active on UK spec'd cars.

Thanks for response.

yeah. Bimmercode is my second option.

So you are saying that any Esys coding is quite risky especially for G-series? Almost 5 years old car and no safe DIY option :( 

Could you at least give me some feedback on esys and launcher version which to use? THX

8 minutes ago, Michal said:

Thanks for response.

yeah. Bimmercode is my second option.

So you are saying that any Esys coding is quite risky especially for G-series? Almost 5 years old car and no safe DIY option :( 

Could you at least give me some feedback on esys and launcher version which to use? THX

What do you want to code?

Esys Launcher Pro 2.82 which is available and the license will work until June '22 - search for Tokenmaster's blog 

Esys 3.28

PSdZData_Lite_v4.30.41 or later depending on you car's software integration level

You will not be able to code (at least) the BDC module as the FDL mappings are not up to date with this software. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Ashton said:

What do you want to code?

Esys Launcher Pro 2.82 which is available and the license will work until June '22 - search for Tokenmaster's blog 

Esys 3.28

PSdZData_Lite_v4.30.41 or later depending on you car's software integration level

You will not be able to code (at least) the BDC module as the FDL mappings are not up to date with this software. 

thank you. I have read TM blog, there are newer version 3.x but as I am new It is not much clear to me.

apologise for more questions

- PSdZData version - how to find which version works with my car software integration level?

- how to find car software integration level?

- how much do I risk with coding? If I will have back up of ECUs. Will I be able to restore them?

really appreciate your time.

1 minute ago, Michal said:

thank you. I have read TM blog, there are newer version 3.x but as I am new It is not much clear to me.

apologise for more questions

- PSdZData version - how to find which version works with my car software integration level?

- how to find car software integration level?

- how much do I risk with coding? If I will have back up of ECUs. Will I be able to restore them?

really appreciate your time.

You are ignoring the question about what it is you are wanting to code.

You can't get any other version of Launcher Pro from Tokenmaster as he has been absent for the last 2 years or so.

PSdZData - you just need a version later than that in your car. The version I posted covers cars with software update up to May 2021.

There is always inherent risk and you need to read the guides that have been created which give you a clear walk through of the steps.

Coding is the process of flipping virtual switches and these switches are stored in CAFD files that should be backed up before making changes. They can be reinjected to an ECU to restore what you've done if you mess it up.  

You can see the Integration level by exporting the active driver profile from the iDrive to a USB stick and opening the resulting file on a PC reading off the iLevel.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

You are ignoring the question about what it is you are wanting to code.

You can't get any other version of Launcher Pro from Tokenmaster as he has been absent for the last 2 years or so.

PSdZData - you just need a version later than that in your car. The version I posted covers cars with software update up to May 2021.

There is always inherent risk and you need to read the guides that have been created which give you a clear walk through of the steps.

Coding is the process of flipping virtual switches and these switches are stored in CAFD files that should be backed up before making changes. They can be reinjected to an ECU to restore what you've done if you mess it up.  

You can see the Integration level by exporting the active driver profile from the iDrive to a USB stick and opening the resulting file on a PC reading off the iLevel.

well... I don't know what to code yet. I am going to search web to find possible options as I did with e61. I also read all ECUs what could be good to code. So I cannot tell you what I will be coding. I am not from UK (CZ and I am gonna buy car from DE) so as you wrote I might have car with not all options to be coded.

can you give me link to you post? I cannot see it here.

3 minutes ago, Michal said:

well... I don't know what to code yet. I am going to search web to find possible options as I did with e61. I also read all ECUs what could be good to code. So I cannot tell you what I will be coding. I am not from UK (CZ and I am gonna buy car from DE) so as you wrote I might have car with not all options to be coded.

can you give me link to you post? I cannot see it here.

To be fair, coding does not mean you can enable all the missing functions which you need to specify and pay for them when order a new car. Many functions requires the hardwares to be installed in the car. If you are not looking to enable some hardware dependent functions, then the scope of available coding is significantly limited. In this case, I would say BimmerCode can cover 80%-90% of the available coding options you can find online as long as you have the supported adaptor for your car. Beside, BimmerCode also has expert mode which can give you more flexibility but also greater risk. Therefore, it would be a good starting point if you search, for example, "G30 Cheatsheet" online and see what's available to be coded and what you actually want to code to your car before looking into what tools (both software and hardware) you want to use to code your car.

Personally, I'm both BimmerCode user and esys user and I don't have many things been coded to my cars.

2 minutes ago, q96169we said:

To be fair, coding does not mean you can enable all the missing functions which you need to specify and pay for them when order a new car. Many functions requires the hardwares to be installed in the car. If you are not looking to enable some hardware dependent functions, then the scope of available coding is significantly limited. In this case, I would say BimmerCode can cover 80%-90% of the available coding options you can find online as long as you have the supported adaptor for your car. Beside, BimmerCode also has expert mode which can give you more flexibility but also greater risk. Therefore, it would be a good starting point if you search, for example, "G30 Cheatsheet" online and see what's available to be coded and what you actually want to code to your car before looking into what tools (both software and hardware) you want to use to code your car.

Personally, I'm both BimmerCode user and esys user and I don't have many things been coded to my cars.

Just on this, there is no specific Gxx cheatsheet as sheets have been embedded within Esys Launcher Pro.

BMW is having to re-program a number of cars due to the failure of Bimmercode to correctly complete the coding process in some cases. ESYS can and has been used to remediate these issues too.  

12 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Just on this, there is no specific Gxx cheatsheet as sheets have been embedded within Esys Launcher Pro.

BMW is having to re-program a number of cars due to the failure of Bimmercode to correctly complete the coding process in some cases. ESYS can and has been used to remediate these issues too.  

Kind of indicating how little things I’ve coded to my car as most of them I found online are not that useful to be coded. Then, for the bits I’ve coded, I have to reapply them after almost each visit to dealer and BimmerCode so far doing alright. But then, I never use the expert mode of the BimmerCode as I think they should be better handled by esys and potentially, the code itself should be vo coded. But anyway, I think it’s still valid that before looking into how to code the car, I would be better to see what can be coded first then decide how much you want those features. At the end of the day, it’s the owner’s own risk if he/she wants to code the car outside BMW’s network.

1 minute ago, q96169we said:

Kind of indicating how little things I’ve coded to my car as most of them I found online are not that useful to be coded. Then, for the bits I’ve coded, I have to reapply them after almost each visit to dealer and BimmerCode so far doing alright. But then, I never use the expert mode of the BimmerCode as I think they should be better handled by esys and potentially, the code itself should be vo coded. But anyway, I think it’s still valid that before looking into how to code the car, I would be better to see what can be coded first then decide how much you want those features. At the end of the day, it’s the owner’s own risk if he/she wants to code the car outside BMW’s network.

Anything you code using any of the available methods will always be wiped out IF BMW re-programs the car during service as that will overwrite all of the ECU code and related CAFD/FDL mappings.

11 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Anything you code using any of the available methods will always be wiped out IF BMW re-programs the car during service as that will overwrite all of the ECU code and related CAFD/FDL mappings.

Yep, that's right. That's why I said I need to reapply the coding almost each time after visit the dealer and BimmerCode is doing okay so far for the tiny amount of coding I need to do.