Liam2594

520d/530d conundrum.

Morning all,

I’m stuck in a quandary. Got rid of the F10 in March for an M140i (what a great little car), but, I do seriously miss my 5 Series. Now looking at a G30, either a pre-reg 530d or a new 520d. I always found my F10 520d felt sluggish, I know they’re not meant to win any races but it always felt slow to me. I understand the G30 is a chunk lighter, I drove one previously and it felt much crisper than the F10. 

However, is the 3.0 Diesel worth the extra outlay? Need opinions from real owners. I love BMW’s straight 6 diesel, but in all seriousness my Mrs drives the car 90% of the time and she’s a plodder, I’m not a racing driver but do like some get up and go when needed. 

Opinions?

Just personal preference, either the 520d or 530d will do all you need. My last was a G31 520d and I’ve swapped to a 530d. The 2 litre engine is probably amongst the best in its class and is really quite quick if you push the loud pedal even with a well loaded car. Its only drawback is that it’s always a bit clattery, very diesely at startup and you can certainly hear it when it’s working though it’s pretty quiet on cruise. The 3 litre is in a different class altogether, needs minimal throttle to make great progress and always sounds quiet with just the hum of a BMW 6-cylinder. If consumption is an issue then my experience so far on mixed driving is low 40s for the 2 litre and mid 30s for the 3 though both get good mileage on long motorway runs. My personal preference is the 530d as it performs more like my idea of a BMW and I always found with the 520d that I needed to put effort into hurrying it along as the throttle weight seems to push you towards economy! Something to consider of course is that for the same money you can get a much better kitted 520d as there are so many more around.

Edited by Boba

Another thought - we changed our F11 520d earlier this year for a G31. We ended up with an ex-BMW management 10 month old, 9K, 530i, as that was by far the best overall package we could find, and the engine is a revelation. Around 40 in local running, high 40s on motorway, and it has all the performance needed. It’s also quiet and smooth, easily comparable (if not better) than our E93 six. Do I miss the diesel? No, nor do I miss having two more cylinders. Horses for, I guess.

I have a 530d in otherwise extremely basic spec and I would not trade the engine for any amount of gizmos. The engine is just an absolute pleasure. Very muted but pleasant engine sound. Even if you floor it, it stays refined and it pulls like an absolute madman. The effortlessness with which this car picks up speed on the motorway is astounding.

On my RWD car (with mostly motorway driving) I'm averaging 44mpg (6.4 l/100km) which I think is really quite good. Have not driven the 520d but I have driven the 320d with the same engine, it's a decent engine but really not in the same class.

My advice would be to go for the six, if you're even asking this question you will probably regret going for the 4 cylinder. The 6 will not disappoint.

2 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

Another consideration is, do I look at a 530e

Yes look at it, with both eyes, but don't actually buy it.  ;)

28 minutes ago, Carlton said:

My advice would be to go for the six, if you're even asking this question you will probably regret going for the 4 cylinder. The 6 will not disappoint.

^what he said.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes look at it, with both eyes, but don't actually buy it.  ;)

^what he said.

:lol: I’ve gone off the 530e idea already. Driving myself insane in all honesty!

agree with Carlton and boba. The 530d is the BMW experience, thats what you buy this "brand" for.  The ultimate driving machine (of sorts) . Its not a smartphone or laptop . 

+1

I'm probably biased as I own a 530d, but I did test drive a 520d - it just didn't seem to have any 'soul'. Real-world performance in the 530d is fantastic - plenty of poke for overtaking and very quiet if you're just pottering about. I get low 40s when I'm not trying and low 50s when I'm taking it steady on the motorway. I think my best from a tank is just shy of 800 miles (it's got a bit better post 15000 miles).

You won't be disappointed. I'm already thinking about the spec on my next car, but the engine has picked itself.

My 530 has covered 19k with an average of 46.9 ( obc) mixed driving. 
i came from an M5 so wanted the bigger engine. 
Its a dream , quick, quiet , smooth and economical . Get the 530 you will not be disappointed. 

^ 540i/530d is a conundrum for me on the next car. I currently have a 530d.  We have described it in glowing terms so no need to repeat, but the 540i might have an extra zing. Only downside is the shortened range (100 miles less compared to 530d). Its getting into electric car range

Edited by Carrera77

I will always say that a 520d is honestly all the car you will ever need. Its nippy enough for everyday scenarios and when stuck in traffic, it will feel the same as a 530d. However, the B57 engine is a peach. Even though I never had a 530d i have had a B57 X5 for the past three months and the way the engine performs is astonishing. If you can stretch to it, go for, but dont feel like you have to. 

4 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

^ 540i/530d is a conundrum for me on the next car. I currently have a 530d.  We have described it in glowing terms so no need to repeat, but the 540i might have an extra zing. Only downside is the shortened range (100 miles less compared to 530d). Its getting into electric car range

Of course depending on how and where you drive. On a run, not difficult to get between 500 to 600 miles from the 540i. Sure less than the 530D, but miles better than any electric car that I know of 

I drove 60 miles ish the other day on A roads and my 540 was doing 37 to the gallon Which I didn’t think was bad to be fair, I know you will get a lot more from a 520d but it’s horses for courses, despite what engine you get, they are great cars. I went for the 540 as I didn’t want a diesel and I wanted 4 wheel drive, and the 520 petrol just did not appeal 

It’s done. 530d M Sport is ordered. Carbon Black, black leather, comfort pack & M Sport Plus, Pre-Registered car with 9 miles and a nearly £20,000 saving on list. Excited to be back in the 5 Series fold ASAP. 

48 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Nah! Not unless you have a very long extension lead for the e-mobile ..................

yeah that was a *bit* of an exaggeration 

I was thinking of the Tesla model 3 extended range, but that has apparently been discontinued (in favour of a higher spec all wheel drive)

It claimed around 300-350 miles, but I suspect that was driving pretty cautiously , like a 520d driver. If you add another 100 miles thats closer to an "energetically driven" 540i 

I dont see many electric cars been charged at service areas ( the stalls are usually empty) so its still not a motorway car :). 

5 hours ago, FMIB said:

Of course depending on how and where you drive. On a run, not difficult to get between 500 to 600 miles from the 540i. Sure less than the 530D, but miles better than any electric car that I know of 

I get 550-600 miles for a 530 d xdrive with an average of 39-40 mpg.  I have put on a set of new Pirelli p7s last week, and they seem to have bumped it up to around 41-42 mpg so maybe was a bad setup

Good choice Liam - I faced a similar choice when I moved back from the US. Over there I had an F-150 with the Ecoboost V6 and although it was excellent, always regretted not getting the V8.

So when I decided on a 5 series it had to be the 3.0 diesel although in rational terms the 520d was more than enough. We are at the end of the evolutionary line for larger capacity engines so need to get one while you can.

The 3.0 diesel is a great engine. So smooth, rapid and effortless to drive, economy is not that bad either. 

Exactly that. I feel the M140i was a itch that needed to be scratched. 4,000 miles in, I love the engine, the noise and the ridiculous mid range shove you get, but the car doesn’t put a smile on my face as daft as that sounds. 

I loved my previous 5 Series, and this one coming is exactly the spec I wanted, so I’m happy.