GoNz0

[Request] 535/530d turbo removal from under the car guide?

Has anyone got a decent guide to removing the Pre LCI 2.5L turbo from under the car, the method that doesn't involve removing the injectors and rocker cover!

The ones I have found all have broken image links and I'm not 100% the E39 guides apply?

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

Has anyone got a decent guide to removing the Pre LCI 2.5L turbo from under the car, the method that doesn't involve removing the injectors and rocker cover!

The ones I have found all have broken image links and I'm not 100% the E39 guides apply?

The actual turbo removal on E6x M57N is pretty much the same as on E39 M57. 

11 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Any tips for doing it from under the car ? :)

This guy is removing the exhaust manifold from under the car, but he has to remove the turbo. It is an X5, but the setup seems similar. I cannot attest to the quality of his work, he looks a bit of a funny guy at times, but he gets the job done. 

Changy

Edited by Changy

1 hour ago, Changy said:

This guy is removing the exhaust manifold from under the car, but he has to remove the turbo. It is an X5, but the setup seems similar. I cannot attest to the quality of his work, he looks a bit of a funny guy at times, but he gets the job done. 

Changy

Cheers m8, there is more room on the X series to get stuff like that out, even the X3 you can drop the DPF off without a problem but the E6x chassis you have to move the steering rack out the way so I expect engine mount off and steering rack moved at least, this is what I'm trying to confirm as most guides are LHD. And yeah that guys a plonka :)

On the e46 (same engine) the issue was the steering column. The turbo needed rotating to a specific position for it to come out.

Even then I had to release the engine from its mounts and lift it to get the clearance. It was a faff, awkward and often working blind rather than fundamentally difficult.

Must be a breeze on LHD in comparison...

Yeah I read somewhere about lifting the engine to get it out, still can't find anything 100% on it. At least you can shove the column up and I doubt it is as big as my 535d turbo that also came out from below.

Had my pre LCI 525d turbo off a couple of times,no need to remove the engine mount or touch the steering rack.

Dpf and pipe attached to turbo were a pain to get off first the due to seized fixings but with them out the way there's plenty of room to work.

14 minutes ago, thomp1983 said:

Had my pre LCI 525d turbo off a couple of times,no need to remove the engine mount or touch the steering rack.

Dpf and pipe attached to turbo were a pain to get off first the due to seized fixings but with them out the way there's plenty of room to work.

Cheers m8, there is so much oil down there I hope the bolts have been pre soaked :-D

pRCvdQy.jpg

That's a shot with the turbo removed, it's taken from the first time I did it when I had the inlet manifold and valve cover removed but second time I did it all that was in place still and you wiggle it out the gap in the bottom

Edited by thomp1983

1 minute ago, thomp1983 said:

pRCvdQy.jpg

Funnily enough he has a new manifold in the back seat that I will be fitting while the turbo is off :(