Steve van hool

If the E39 hadn't been invented

22 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

I would probably have gone for something like this E38, in a good colour, and suiting it's style 32's to a T.

Has twin exhaust so maybe it's a 750?

20191202_133423.jpg

Yup... I'd have stuck with an E38 too I think ;) 

20140803_163624.jpg

Kinda regret not going back down this route... I do still look out for decent examples, but they're far and few between now

26 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup... I'd have stuck with an E38 too I think ;) 

20140803_163624.jpg

Kinda regret not going back down this route... I do still look out for decent examples, but they're far and few between now

Jesus Dan...I knew you had an e38 in the past...I didnt know it was that bloody good. Stunning to say the least!!!

17 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Jesus Dan...I knew you had an e38 in the past...I didnt know it was that bloody good. Stunning to say the least!!!

Thanks pal

It was my first ever BMW :shock::lol:  Talk about setting a trend ;) 

It took some work to get it there; only sold it as when it had it's last MOT, the guy said there was rust forming on the underside of the rear suspension turrets that would have cost a fortune to repair due to the complexity of the metalwork needed (he's a bloody good fabricator, so he knows his stuff). Sold it to a policeman from London who came and collected it, it got wrote off 7 weeks later after an argument with an HGV, which was at fault :( 

Surprised the HGV didn't come off worse Dan, they just look so bloody well made, almost a panzer like build quality.(looks can be deceiving)!

Did yours come with style 32's or did you add them  they also suit an E39 very well, if it's a dechromed version.

1 hour ago, Steve van hool said:

Surprised the HGV didn't come off worse Dan, they just look so bloody well made, almost a panzer like build quality.(looks can be deceiving)!

Did yours come with style 32's or did you add them  they also suit an E39 very well, if it's a dechromed version.

It came on them... It was 'only a lowly' 728i, but for me, it was a great intro into BMW and TBH, it shifted when it wanted to :mrgreen:

I've thought about 32s for my touring, but by the time I've found a set (E39 18" 32s are rare as hens teeth); then refurbed them, then added tyres... It's close to, if not over £1k and I can get other aftermarket alloys that I like, plus tyres, for less! 

3 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

I've got an E38, a 757iL - it's awesome :P

Is that a Boeing? :D

Keliuss 

If the e39 didn't exist then amongst comparable era BMWs I'd have probably sought another good E34 540.

Lots of love for the e38 though: a thing that is just right.

There's a mint one kept locally, in a wonderful dark metallic blue on Parallels, that makes me smile to see it - not least because it's one original owner appears to be still enjoying it!

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thanks pal

It was my first ever BMW :shock::lol:  Talk about setting a trend ;) 

It took some work to get it there; only sold it as when it had it's last MOT, the guy said there was rust forming on the underside of the rear suspension turrets that would have cost a fortune to repair due to the complexity of the metalwork needed (he's a bloody good fabricator, so he knows his stuff). Sold it to a policeman from London who came and collected it, it got wrote off 7 weeks later after an argument with an HGV, which was at fault :( 

Any more pics to showcase its awesomeness?

12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It came on them... It was 'only a lowly' 728i, but for me, it was a great intro into BMW and TBH, it shifted when it wanted to :mrgreen:

I've thought about 32s for my touring, but by the time I've found a set (E39 18" 32s are rare as hens teeth); then refurbed them, then added tyres... It's close to, if not over £1k and I can get other aftermarket alloys that I like, plus tyres, for less! 

Great looking example Dan, I didn't know you used to run an E38. When was this?

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Great looking example Dan, I didn't know you used to run an E38. When was this?

Got it in 2011 pal; had it for around 18 months, sold it just after we moved to our new house and for some stupid reason, bought another MG ZT-T V6 :lol: That didn't last long as went out in a pals E39 528i and decided the E39 route was for me and then bought the slate green 530i I had ;) 

10 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Any more pics to showcase its awesomeness?

I've very few unfortunately; a lot were in a Photobucket account, but can't access it anymore, so I've no 'before' pictures of when I first bought it and the work that went into it etc

These pics are of it being fitted with BC coilovers & being set-up; it sat on them, around 45mm lower than OEM with 12mm spacers all round on OEM E38 Style 32s ;) 

e38-1.jpg

e38-2.jpg

e38-3.jpg

e38-4.jpg

e38-5.jpg

e38-6.jpg

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I’m going to say a Volvo V70R :ph34r:

I could go with that... Superb cars and one I'd still very happily own today, if I could find one in decent condition that doesn't have moon mileage! 

I would still love to own another E38.. I bought a super cheap 728i several years ago but some expensive issues developed immediately and I wasn’t as hands on with cars then so got scared into getting rid after only a couple of weeks. I now realise from E38 ownership that it would have been a great car to learn on some DIY’ing and probably wasn’t an expensive issue to resolve. 

So yeah.. would really like another one some day. Such road presence. 

46 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Looks a good example; do wish people would take better pictures and review them before they upload them. Every one looks blurred as they've used a crappy phone probably :roll: 

Not bothered re a manual anymore, a big car like that needs to be an auto IMO ;) 

33 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Looks a good example; do wish people would take better pictures and review them before they upload them. Every one looks blurred as they've used a crappy phone probably :roll: 

Not bothered re a manual anymore, a big car like that needs to be an auto IMO ;) 

Love the plate  - "FFS"... :lol:

MOT expired in 2017 at only 117k miles. Presume it's no more...:(

Edited by Loadmaster

22 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Love the plate  - "FFS"... :lol:

MOT expired in 2017 at only 117k miles. Presume it's no more...:(

Yup; written off sometime 2016 :(