Taffy 1

replacement gearbox

So chaps, more trauma. Some years ago I bought an "H" pattern box as a replacement for mine "in case" and after some heavy acceleration my old box started to whine and exhibit signs of wear.

I got the old box changed for the new one after replacing the linkage and oil. The bloody new box although changing through the gears very sweetly is making some very unhealthy noises in 1st and 2nd with the noise diminishing in 3rd. The chap I bought it from swore it was out of his brothers car and that it was perfect, I'm wondering if the problem is due to it being stored right next to the garage door or was it duff from the outset. Does anybody think that these nasty bearing type noises might disappear if I run the car for a distance or am I asking for more trouble. Any advice would be very welcome.

Kind regards,

Taffy 1

I have a theory about storing gearboxes and diffs in that I think they need to be stored full of oil rather than just at the normal operating level to prevent internal corrosion. 

My spitfire was laid up for a few years in a garage. When parked the diff was fine but on resurrection it soon developed a slight whine. It was low miles so unlikely to have been worn and I think that the teeth not bathed in oil corroded and then once run the rust and oil mix. 

I flushed mine mine out and it never got worse. 

But it of course the seller of your box may have been telling porkies. 

On 01/12/2019 at 18:29, duncan-uk said:

I have a theory about storing gearboxes and diffs in that I think they need to be stored full of oil rather than just at the normal operating level to prevent internal corrosion. 

My spitfire was laid up for a few years in a garage. When parked the diff was fine but on resurrection it soon developed a slight whine. It was low miles so unlikely to have been worn and I think that the teeth not bathed in oil corroded and then once run the rust and oil mix. 

I flushed mine mine out and it never got worse. 

But it of course the seller of your box may have been telling porkies. 

This would make sense, happened to me recently on a rear Diff. It had been perfect upon removal and storage for a couple of years. Re installed it and some of the bearings became pitted and needed a rebuild. Like you say, if it had been stored fully filled with oil I guess it would have preserved it.

On 01/12/2019 at 18:29, duncan-uk said:

Good idea.

I've known this happen with gearboxes and diffs that have sat idle: Condensation forms on the gears, which turns to rust spots and breaches the case hardening/coating. When its run up, the remainder of the coating / hardening wears rapidly as a result!