AndyI

Just buying a 530e, my first BMW.

I am just buying my first BMW, a one year old 530e M Sport which is my first venture into the world of hybrids. I want to say a huge thank you to all the 530e owners who regularly contribute to this forum and whose real world experiences have helped convince me to take the plunge. I've seen the phrase 'horses for courses' used on a few occasions on this forum regarding the 5 series powertrain that owners choose and I'm now sure the 530e will work for me. Still have much to learn about the car and its technology.

I"m buying the car from a BMW dealership and did a test drive in all electric mode which was hugely impressive, however, from being fully charged, the engine started after 13 miles which was a bit sooner than I had anticipated, but I can see from forum posts that some variability is to be expected. Looking forward to collecting the car in the next few days.

As the temperatures are plunging don’t be too disappointed if the range is poor. The range is hugely effected by low temperatures, as are all plug-ins. I try to reduce that by ensuring that the car is defrosted / heated whilst plugged in and then doing the initial drive on just the engine while the  heated seats, heated screen do their bit. 

The real world range and other info is here - https://ev-database.uk/car/1111/BMW-530e-iPerformance

I’m sure you know but just in case, the government still pay up to £ 500 of the cost of a wall charger. I have used my Rolec almost every day for over 4 years (previously C350e and E350e) and it has been totally fault free. http://www.rolecserv.com/

Good luck with the car, I’m sure you’ll have hours of fun with all the ‘tech’ !

I've had mine for 13 months now (from new).  I've had lots of BMWs, all of which have been great, but this is the best of them all.  Even in the cold weather I get 70 mpg on my 40 mile commute when charged fully and 35 to 40 mpg when it's not charged at all.  In the spring/summer I was getting 80 to 90 mpg.

It's not just about the fuel economy though.  It's a new 5 Series.  Extremely comfortable, very well put together and very plush feeling inside.

When people see you pull up in one, you'll see them nod reassuringly.

PS:  Something people don't mention much ....... put your foot down and it flies.

What colour are you going for?

Thanks for the comments. I plan to overnight charge using cheap rate electricity from a domestic socket at least initially.

The car is Bluestone with an ivory interior and has M Sport Plus and comfort packages and Harman Kardon speaker system and a few other boys toys!   

Same look as mine. Current temps are hammering the battery at around 13/14 mile range, but you have to roll with that. Worth it for the toasty and defrosted car all through the winter though!

On 30/11/2019 at 23:42, AndyI said:

I am just buying my first BMW, a one year old 530e M Sport which is my first venture into the world of hybrids. I want to say a huge thank you to all the 530e owners who regularly contribute to this forum and whose real world experiences have helped convince me to take the plunge. I've seen the phrase 'horses for courses' used on a few occasions on this forum regarding the 5 series powertrain that owners choose and I'm now sure the 530e will work for me. Still have much to learn about the car and its technology.

I"m buying the car from a BMW dealership and did a test drive in all electric mode which was hugely impressive, however, from being fully charged, the engine started after 13 miles which was a bit sooner than I had anticipated, but I can see from forum posts that some variability is to be expected. Looking forward to collecting the car in the next few days.

13 miles? I get more from this!

F9A98EAB-D232-405A-9047-472C150FF740.jpeg

9 hours ago, sjak92 said:

13 miles? I get more from this!

Not when it's cold you won't...

20 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Not when it's cold you won't...

12 miles yesterday, 18% battery left 

The battery on the 'e' is too small imo. I'm sure a bigger one would physically fit. I reckon 50/60 mile range is enough for a lot of people's commutes, certainly more than 20!

Difficulty I have sometimes is even in electric mode, i still want the heated seat on and the A/C toasty. If I drove with a jacket on would probably help with efficiency I'm guessing.

I don't care what the nay sayers bleat on about.  70 mpg + in the winter on my 40 mile mixed commute does me fine. And I use my heated seat and heated steering wheel.

PLUS: 

It's a petrol motor which is waaaaay smoother than a diesel

I don't use a dirty engine of any kind when in the town that I leave and in the town that I arrive in - (which is better for the children in the schools I drive by)

Use no petrol or diesel at all at the weekends when bobbing about town.

The hybrid is the best 5 Series out there.

1 hour ago, TheDarkLord said:

I don't care what the nay sayers bleat on about.  70 mpg + in the winter on my 40 mile mixed commute does me fine. And I use my heated seat and heated steering wheel.

PLUS: 

I don't use a dirty engine of any kind when in the town that I leave and in the town that I arrive in - (which is better for the children in the schools I drive by)

I'm with you on all this - just saying it could be improved without any real negative effect with a bigger battery. Mine has not once shown more than 20 miles of range on a full charge

I generally don't use fuel when pottering around at weekends either, and enjoy cracking mpg most of the time unless I deliberately drive like a dick.

One thing that hasn’t been said (don’t tell the naysayers) is that the public charging network is a lot more “available” than they think.

This can also be linked to free parking (again don’t tell them) and can often be free(!)

Look at ZapMap and see if there are charging points near you.

If there are some that are likely to be convenient for you invest in a public charging cable (only a three pin charging cable came with my car) and download a few of the Apps (e.g. Pod-Point) and off you go!

Well said...a load of crap spoken on all sides regarding e vehicles, but most naysayers do not live with one. I'm sold on the whole concept after nearly 3 years, but I just wish BMW  would hurry up with fully electric vehicles and give me an option for my next car.

1 hour ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Well said...a load of crap spoken on all sides regarding e vehicles, but most naysayers do not live with one. I'm sold on the whole concept after nearly 3 years, but I just wish BMW  would hurry up with fully electric vehicles and give me an option for my next car.

i4 2021 I believe.

...as long as it has a fast charger (>50Kwh) which I’m sure it will.

Edited by Carrman2018
Not next year

8 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Doesn't prove a thing...does it have a heated seat?

nope, but I skip all traffic to work for example and get there in 11 minutes as opposed to 25 by car as no parking etc

8 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

while I beleive you, how did you manage 12 miles in that thing?

not in one go obviously. Work is 5 miles return, will pop out to shops etc yesterday was the most I’ve ever done in one day. Costs around 4p to charge to full according to smart plug anyway. 

7 hours ago, CFD said:

The battery on the 'e' is too small imo. I'm sure a bigger one would physically fit. I reckon 50/60 mile range is enough for a lot of people's commutes, certainly more than 20!

Difficulty I have sometimes is even in electric mode, i still want the heated seat on and the A/C toasty. If I drove with a jacket on would probably help with efficiency I'm guessing.

biggest flaw of the car, if it had double the battery and approaching 50 miles range would be so much more usable in every day case for 89% of drivers

5 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

PLUS: 

nope, the 530d is the best 5 series out there, everyone will say that

9 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

if it had double the battery and approaching 50 miles range would be so much more usable in every day case for 89% of drivers

That is a very precise figure ;)

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

12 miles yesterday, 18% battery left 

Take care on roundabouts. You know what BMW drivers can be like! :ph34r:

I had a 530e for four days while the dealer was fixing a parking sensor on my G31. Main flaw for us was that disabled 92 year old mother in law needs her mobility kit transporting, plus 95lb of bouncing golden retriever doesn't work in a saloon either. So please, BMW, can we have an electric touring with a decent range? One trip to the shops (penalty of living in countryside) emptied the battery.

37 minutes ago, Mr H said:

That is a very precise figure ;)

That was supposed to be 99% haha

33 minutes ago, Boba said:

Take care on roundabouts. You know what BMW drivers can be like! :ph34r:

Avoid them and main roads like the plague. Would be very odd for a lawyer to be pulled over on what is strictly an illegal mode of transport!

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

nope, but I skip all traffic to work for example and get there in 11 minutes as opposed to 25 by car as no parking etc

not in one go obviously. Work is 5 miles return, will pop out to shops etc yesterday was the most I’ve ever done in one day. Costs around 4p to charge to full according to smart plug anyway. 

very impressed .very green.  It is ridiculous to fire a up a  big lumbering car / SUV to just to buy a pint of milk. Alternatives do exist

50 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

very impressed .very green.  It is ridiculous to fire a up a  big lumbering car / SUV to just to buy a pint of milk. Alternatives do exist

Doing my best to offset the 165 g of Co2/KM haha but in all fairness, it just makes financial sense. I'd pay around £60 per month for parking close to work where driving would simply not make sense as i'm so close. With black friday sales, an E scooter at £299 just makes so much sense. They are actually really fund to ride and presume will be even more so once the summer rolls back round. 

Did a two day shop yesterday chucking stuff into a backpack. 

Thoroughly recommended!