Spreadly

Alexa vs Google Home

Going to be buying one of these for my mum for Christmas. Interested to hear from people who have either, or both of these. I am a hardcore Android fan, so if it were for me, I'd choose Google Home.

I've used Alexa quite often and been fairly impressed, especially with the sound quality.

Interested to hear what others think. Which would you choose, and why?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Amazon Echo and Alexa for me. 

Works really well and the Echo Plus have superb sound quality IMO 

If you've nothing to hide nor worry about, why worry about what they may or may not be listening into... 

11 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

If you've nothing to hide nor worry about, why worry about what they may or may not be listening into... 

Nothing to hide, but why should they be able to record all your private and personal conversations and have some stranger that you’ve never met listen to them, it’s spying, same as having your phone tapped.

Plus the fact that they seem pretty pointless to me.

Just now, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Nothing to hide, but why should they be able to record all your private and personal conversations and have some stranger that you’ve never met listen to them, it’s spying, same as having your phone tapped.

Plus the fact that they seem pretty pointless to me.

Just opinions pal; I do get it

Some folk like them, others don't :) 

I'm an audiophile and have all sorts of different speakers/systems around the house etc. The Echo's are very good, even better in a stereo pair and they're handy for when you're wanting to listen to music but either not in the same room or simply want to do it all via voice control ;) 

I've got the google home hub, speaker with a 7" screen. I think amazon do a version too. It's pretty good for the price, although the amazon echo does pick up your commands a bit better.

We primarily picked the Google because my niece is called Alexa, how inconsiderate!

Alexa is the only woman in my life that does exactly what I tell her to do.    "ALEXA, OFF!" is my favourite command when the wife and the littl'un leave it on belting out some awful tune at full volume.

We have two.  I use them for finding out football scores.  The pronunciation of the Scottish football stadium names leaves a lot to be desired though :shock:

1 hour ago, Spreadly said:

Ended up going with Alexa in the end. Better sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Which one?

On 30/11/2019 at 13:37, Paddy O'Furniture said:

In the early days of the technology it did record conversations because it thought the 'wake' word was activated.  It has learnt from these mistakes, and now makes considerably less false wake activations

The thing that happened yesterday which had a massive run-up to, and apparently in the early hours of the morning it had results.  I can't remember what it was, but it prevented me from posting this.

Seriously I didn’t want to start a political thread by posting this before today, but I have been waiting to post this since I first read the thread 

On 30/11/2019 at 20:17, sharkfan said:

Ask alexa to repeat what she has heard...

I did and she said. She had heard nothing in the last minutes.

We do not, nor shall we ever have anything like this in the house as long as I have blood in my veins.  It's time we stopped all this automation and convenience for the sake of convenience.  10 years from now, we won't even speak - it'll be all about bloody gestures!

Rant over.