rewast

Dampness in a freshly purchased e34

Hi guys, i've just purchased an e34 535i and there's a lingering dampness inside it. Not sure why, as it has been in a lock up for the best part of 5 years.

Any way, got any tips to get it dry inside? or step by step to fix? I was thinking I could get those silicon gel beads and fill it up with a few boxes of those?

The ones i linked to are a plastic box into which you pour the crystals in the tray at the top, some how they pull moisture out if the air and trap it in the tank below, the crystals dissolve over time but they worked well in my e28 boot and drying out my e46 after the window was left open in the rain.

After a while you empty the tank and its impressive how much liquid is collected.

Normally,  excessive moisture inside the car would point to major water ingress usually as a result of corrosion. 

The real problem with the e34 is the foam backing to the carpets which acts as an excellent sponge, soaking up the water and retaining it. It does take a fair bit of time and effort to dry out this water especially if its a significant amount. 

If no floor or sill rot then look at the cooling system or trace the source of the leak by dousing  the car with an hosepipe and inspecting.

On 11/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, FIVE-OH said:

Normally,  excessive moisture inside the car would point to major water ingress usually as a result of corrosion. 

The real problem with the e34 is the foam backing to the carpets which acts as an excellent sponge, soaking up the water and retaining it. It does take a fair bit of time and effort to dry out this water especially if its a significant amount. 

If no floor or sill rot then look at the cooling system or trace the source of the leak by dousing  the car with an hosepipe and inspecting.

Thank you, i've not seen any corrosion, but I'll investigate the other things you mentioned.

+1 on what 5 oh said

Could also jbe the heater matrix

also worth checking the pollen cabin filter, if it has one