Andrew S

530D Injector values

A short while ago I was running the car on idle and as there is occasional as slight lumpiness on idle, I took the following readings. Once above say 1200, its very smooth running. 

It would appear that No 3 injector is not playing ball and the others are compensating.

Being that I have got to take the injectors out to replace the rocker or cam gasket, now's the time to fit another recon set or shall I just replace No 3 only?

Am I correct in my testing before I do so?

Any feedback appreciated

2019-04-02 11.03.43.jpg

2019-04-02 11.03.56.jpg

Just spoken to the main dealer in order to enquire as to whether they keep the injector seals in stock and they tell me there is only one O ring ring to each injector and at £27 for 6 too:0

I was under the impression there was a rubber O ring on each and also a copper washer at the bottom or have I misread something or maybe this is the petrol engines that have them fitted.

Either way, I need the bits for the job next week and want to make sure I have all ready for the garage guy :)

Copper washer at the bottom where the injector pushes against the head, rubber o-ring on the body sealing against the head.  Don't bother replacing the o-rings, they'll be fine.

Replace the copper washers, there's a company on eBay that sells them for a few quid.  Torque the injectors properly, black death isn't a joke.

If the injector isn’t seated properly you can get diesel fuel blowing back up out of the combustion chamber, up the side and out the top of the injector. You end up with thick black diesel glue all over the place! 

Those readings are quite bad, I had one injector with 5.5 -5.7 value. So just a bit out of range. +5 is max acceptable if remember right. After running 1L of clear liqui moli Diesel purge, readings went down to 0.5- 0.7 and are still the same year later ( did about 25k miles in this time).

I was wondering about this too - I have quite large leakoff on 1, 2 and 3 and none on 4, 5, 6 and trying to work out how to "refurb" them, I see that there's not too much that causes them to leak off.  

Starting to wonder if it's just gradual build up internally to the injector and thinking injector purge/cleaner might actually help?

16 hours ago, Ray112 said:

After running 1L of clear liqui moli Diesel purge, readings went down to 0.5- 0.7 and are still the same year later ( did about 25k miles in this time).

Is that just a fuel additive? ie lob it in with the fuel in the tank?

Can't say i've ever found a difference with those i have tried

55 minutes ago, adam- said:

I was wondering about this too - I have quite large leakoff on 1, 2 and 3 and none on 4, 5, 6 and trying to work out how to "refurb" them, I see that there's not too much that causes them to leak off.  

Starting to wonder if it's just gradual build up internally to the injector and thinking injector purge/cleaner might actually help?

Leak off is usually caused by failed injector internal seal. Bad correctional value tells more about the performance of injector nozzle and can sometimes cure with cleaning agents.

38 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Is that just a fuel additive? ie lob it in with the fuel in the tank?

Can't say i've ever found a difference with those i have tried

I disconnected hoses from fuel tank and put them in bottle filled with diesel purge. That will give best result. Or can try to add to tank with low amount of diesel in it, so concentration is stronger. There's plenty of videos in YouTube about how to use liqui moly diesel purge.