Leo aka Horse-On-Wheels_MS

Hello, New owner of a E34 525IX Automatic AWD

fef.thumb.jpeg.11e22d678d9eb97b7c36c216d263cab3.jpeg1293766703_WhatsAppImage2019-11-23at19_04_05.thumb.jpeg.3e89595c566a9dfc30d0aa232a4153a0.jpeg

Just recently won an auction and got hold of a 525ix everything happened within 3 days, I am quite pleased when we drove it home with no issues but a minor vibration when braking, it would be better if it was a manual though

Can anyone tell me the rarity of this beemer?

thanks 

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-23 at 19.11.42.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum. For the chance of a more expert opinion, repost this into the E34 tech section which is further down the home page.

3 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

^ yeh, sold mine to soon but made some £ so hey ho - never got to enjoy it in the snow sadly.

I did and was very impressed with how competent it was, even with just regular tyres, i reckon with a set of those cross climate type tyres it would be even better. Sadly  the young guy that bought mine from me burned the gearbox out in it by drifting it :rolleyes: and I think it was scrapped thereafter. Such a waste of a nice and reasonably well spec’d IX Touring in calypso. 

1 minute ago, Loadmaster said:

Never heard of the ix. What's the deal with it?

It’s all wheel drive like an Audi Quattro and the 5 series IX was the precursor for the X5 coming out as bmw learned all the 4x4 stuff from the e34. Also there was an e30 IX too. Which is probably even rarer now. 

24 minutes ago, GStarrr said:

It’s all wheel drive like an Audi Quattro and the 5 series IX was the precursor for the X5 coming out as bmw learned all the 4x4 stuff from the e34. Also there was an e30 IX too. Which is probably even rarer now. 

Must be rare?

20 minutes ago, GStarrr said:

E30 325ix's are super rare and command strong money these days. The e34 525ix's not quite as much, however still quite scarce. I believe that there were more E34 M5's that rolled of the production line compared to their IX counterparts. Agreed as above, they were the first trial production runs to BMW's venture into the 4x4 or all wheel drive market

11 minutes ago, GStarrr said:

The king of the IX’s though is the Alpina B10 Allrad:D would love to own one of those even though they were never made in RHD I think?  

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=1590

Wow, now that is a VERY rare beast right there...

What engine is that 3.0 then?! Some sort of m50 stroker setup?! Never even heard of that one in E34 guise until now! 

On 24 November 2019 at 13:44, GStarrr said:

The king of the IX’s though is the Alpina B10 Allrad:D would love to own one of those even though they were never made in RHD I think?  

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=1590

Two saloons were made in rhd by Sytner, one manual, one auto, and the owner of the auto just started a thread about its restoration. 

No B10 3.0 AllRad Tourings were made in rhd though.

On 11/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, duncan-uk said:

I believe there is a facelift/ update in the e34 something to do with how the torque split is managed but i could be wrong.

yes, the system exists in 2 generations with quite a few difference with gen 1 having a separate control unit for the electromagnetic semi-wet multi-plate clutch disc at the transfer bod and rear diff, also have a special modified abs unit with production  going from 91' to end of 93' and Gen 2 has Abs asc/t and the electromagnetic semi-wet multi-plate clutch disc is only in the transfer box and not in the diff (open diff), traction is controlled by the rear wheel braking, lasted from the end of 93 to end of production. the parts may look similar to e36 or e30 but they are different and not interchangeable.

Just want to also mention torque split is 36% front and 64%   and Not 60/40 or 50/50