antimony

525d, 3l or 2l?

I've seen 2 very similar 2011 525d tourings, one is 3 litre and the other 2 litre. The 3l doesn't have the timing chain problems but it isn't as efficient as the 2l. I reckon that I'll do 18k per year, considering all that, which one to choose?

I had the same choice and went for the 3lt. 
it will be more pleasurable to drive than the 2lt and can be remapped to a greater hp but a quick calculation says that you will be paying £280 per year extra on fuel at your mileage. 
I get 45 mpg on a long drive but a lot less doing short trips around town. 

In 2010 when we bought our car we tested the 520d, 525d and 530d tourings. The 525d was much smoother than the 520d but I could not really tell the difference between the 530d and the 525d. We purchased the 525d although it was £4000 more than the 520d but £4000 less than the 530d. I average 44 mpg on a run, so running costs are not that much different. My suggestion is test drive both and see if you notice any difference.

Edited by tilly

I have no experience of the 525d but I drove both the 520 and 530d before I settled on the 530d. The driving characteristics are very different indeed, the 530 behaves and drives like what a luxury saloon should. The creamy 6 cylinder engine is an absolute peach and when it comes to MPg the real world difference is actually negligible. 

Edited by george72

Having now owned a 530d for 3months inhave to say its so nice/smooth/powerful to drive. So glad I went for that then a newer 520d!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, GeeJayJoe said:

I had the same choice and went for the 3lt. 
it will be more pleasurable to drive than the 2lt and can be remapped to a greater hp but a quick calculation says that you will be paying £280 per year extra on fuel at your mileage. 
I get 45 mpg on a long drive but a lot less doing short trips around town. 

Likewise. I also did the sums and the 3l isn't that much more to run. Ok, when you factor in the other costs (tax, insurance, consumables / servicing, depreciation) I thought it was going to be about a grand a year difference. But I thought fukkit, I'm only middle aged once!

I’m driving a G31 rather than an F series now but I agree with the others here, the 6 cylinder is such a more pleasing drive. I switched from a 520 to a 530 a short while ago and the difference isn’t only in the maximum power which really you don’t use too much but in the responsiveness and sound. The 4 cylinder revs well but always seems to need a little more urging to get it going and it’s much noisier at tickover and when it’s working. The 6 cylinder is smoother, and sounds altogether nicer. I always feel that although fuel cost is kind of in your face at every fill it’s only a fraction of the overall cost of ownership.

Edited by Boba

I had the 520d vs. 525d choice to make this year and went for the creamy smooth 525d. I know it costs more in fuel, but it's well worth it. Effortless and sounds so much better. The engine never feels like it needs a kick to get moving. The only time I'd know it was a diesel is pulling off with low revs where there's a very slight diesel noise before it sounds smooth again. (Not sure if that's normal, but mine has always done it :) )

The 525d became a twin turbo 2.0 after 2011, but was 3.0 before that. My car is a 2013, and remapped. You're pretty cosseted in any F10/F11, and particularly with the auto box, the difference when cruising with the 4 cyl or 6cyl is almost nothing. I did a round trip of 250 miles last weekend, and mine averaged 61mpg. Virtually all motorway, all within the limit, light load, and I was very happy with that. Yes, a 6 cyl would be nicer, creamy smooth & more real world power etc, but I'm not quite sure of the 'no timing chain issues' comment above. It's not unheard of. There are a lot more N47's out there than N57's, so I reckon failures are proportional (and it's a small % of either engine that actually fails).