tilly

Starting problem

I had my inlet manifold cleaned when the decoke was carried out. Once the carbon is removed it frees everything up nicely... I’m surprised it needs replacing?! My 2011 525 has done 87k miles so very similar to yours

12 hours ago, tilly said:

hope I can get another 9 years of use. I will then be 80 and I don't think by then I will care much about driving  cars any more. Electric buggies will be another thing if I live that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don’t  you just hate when mere youngsters talk about giving up? :D

Get a grip man, you’ve years ahead of you! :lol: :D :lol:

16 hours ago, tilly said:

Thanks for the info. Mine was very contaminated even though I have only used Shell V plus fuel.

The inlet manifold of a direct injection (Diesel and now petrol) car means there is no fuel mixture upstream of the inlet valves to clean out the inlet ducts.  That's why running an older petrol car with port injection on VPower had many benefits as the fuel mixture washed clean the back side of the inlet valves preventing them from coking up.  Its worse in Diesel engines as the EGR valve then allows sooty/oily gasses to be drawn into the inlet manifold upstream of the inlet valves so it gunks up faster than a petrol direct injection engine. 

Using Vpower petrol or diesel in todays direct injection engines only really cleans out the injectors.

What you need to do is walnut blasting or a strip down and clean like Matthew did.

Update from the man who is still young at heart, knees are a different thing. Just picked up the car. Started  from cold immediately, idled with no hesitation and drives smoothly. Significant improvement. Cost for the work: £1395.89. Labour £280 ex VAT and parts £883.24 ex VAT. Thanks to all on here for the advice and support. It was and is very much appreciated. One benefit from the whole experience I have been driving the Porsche in appalling weather. Winds and flooding. I have been amazed at the traction of that car despite all the torque and HP.

Edited by tilly

16 hours ago, tilly said:

Update from the man who is still young at heart, knees are a different thing. Just picked up the car. Started  from cold immediately, idled with no hesitation and drives smoothly. Significant improvement. Cost for the work: £1395.89. Labour £280 ex VAT and parts £883.24 ex VAT. Thanks to all on here for the advice and support. It was and is very much appreciated. One benefit from the whole experience I have been driving the Porsche in appalling weather. Winds and flooding. I have been amazed at the traction of that car despite all the torque and HP.

Oooffftttt, that's a sore one in the wallet department.

Thanks for sharing what the cure was.

Main thing is, its sorted and you can enjoy the car again.

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Oooffftttt, that's a sore one in the wallet department.

Thanks for sharing what the cure was.

Main thing is, its sorted and you can enjoy the car again.

Pleasure is all mine. If it helps others that is an added bonus. Now I am going to see if the Continental All Season tyres I have just had fitted do the job as well as the winter and summer tyres I have been running up till now.

One final report. Had the car for two weeks. Absolutely no problems in starting despite some very low temperatures. Smooth idle on startup even after leaving overnight in very cold conditions. Noticed smoother pickup and I believe that there has been a slight improvement in fuel consumption. I think it is fair to say problem sorted. Interested to know if decarbonising after 50,000 miles would prevent the problems and what would the cost comparison be like?