Flandy

Headliner fabric source?

Hi all, I've had the headlining out of my touring while I put a new seal on the sunroof, unblock a drain, polish the roof, and repaint the roof rails, but while all this crap is out of the car, it seems an ideal time to renew the grubby and unstuck headlining fabric, but I have no idea where to look for it. It's grey, and has a thin foam backing. 

Anybody done this, have any advice and a good place to purchase it from?  Cheers for any help!

I need to do the same as you.

If you do find anywhere please let me know 

23 hours ago, Iain525 said:

How about grey flock? The electrostatic process.

I don't think that'll work well for large areas, or ones that slide over others. From what I've seen Flocking is good for areas that see no wear, but I have no idea how it would fare on surfaces like the sunroof that have to move over others. I'm also unsure how easy it would be to get a consistent finish, but thanks for the suggestion!

14 hours ago, Hogie said:

I need to do the same as you.

If you do find anywhere please let me know 

I've found a couple of sellers on ebay that sell foam backed fabric, but the colour match is critical, so I think I'll have to ask for samples.

You could pop into to your local trimming company and see what they have on offer? They could show you different samples available and might be worth letting them do the work, rather than try to bodge it yourself....Although, if you are confident, then that's a different matter.

Unfortunately BMW no longer sells most of the pieces for the headliner (at least for the tourings with dual sunroof) in silver gray. BMW had only one of the four pieces available (right side, middle). I think it's the same for the pergament color.

I had a local upholstery shop make a new one and also cover the pillar trims so it looks original albeit with a slightly more textured fabric.

Yeah I'm happy to recover rather than purchase new, given the fabric costs peanuts compared to new panels, and a touring with sunroof has a lot of panels! 

I sent off for a few samples, but they were the wrong colour and a more woven look fabric, rather than the brushed nylon that I think the original is.  I did find this place: https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/brush-nylon-headlining.php  so I'm waiting for samples from there, and same for this place: http://www.automobiletrim.com/headlining.html#BrushedNylonHeadlining

Will update as and when...