Sign in to follow this  
Daveyboy20

Auxiliary heater

I have a 2003 530d Sport and in the nav screen menu there's an auxiliary heater section that includes a timer that can be programmed. I've been Googling a little while but I'm getting a confusing mix of information. Should the aux heater (webasto?) turn on at the time I've set and heat the car up? I'm reading that lots of money needs to be spent to get this to be an option - if that's the case - what's my timer function for? 

Every E39 530d has Webasto from the factory. It works only as auxiliary heater if the additional pre-heating option was not taken. But the feature can easily be just coded. If your nav screen also has option Aux heater (not just Aux vent) then the pre-heating can be activated directly or with those timers. With timers the heater will start at set time and run for 30 minutes.

PRE HEATING on the cluster tells it's activating glow plugs.

If there is only Aux vent. on the display then the timers will only work for cooling when outside temp is above 16 C. But like said earlier that Webasto pre-heating feature can be coded to work.

22 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

PRE HEATING on the cluster tells it's activating glow plugs.

If there is only Aux vent. on the display then the timers will only work for cooling when outside temp is above 16 C. But like said earlier that Webasto pre-heating feature can be coded to work.

I see - thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you know how to code it to work?