Andrew S

Oil Leak

Since doing a turbo replacement, I have ow developed an oil leak whilst the engine is running as can be seen and just cant track it down. Being that I have oil in the intercooler (as mentioned in another post), I dont want to run the engine again until its sorted so cant test it again. 

I replaced the oil level warning sensor but that's all dry around there.  

Although I did it up tightly, it looks as though its coming from the sump drain plug. If not, I cant see how the oil leak has made its way up to it and also on the anti roll bar :0

The only things that I have touched to do with oil is the oil level sensor, the turbo but both pipes are dry and I undid the bolts that go along the air filter  side of the plastic rocker box cover and then re tightened them the following evening. Also replaced the engine crank breather. Looking at the photos, I can see anything running down the side of the block where I have been working. 

If it was rear engine seal go for some unknown reason, it couldn't make its way along to the sump plug

So frustrating

Any suggestions welcome as the car has never dripped oil. 

It seems to be doing it only when engine is running and after 24hrs, no more drips

2019-11-14 20.09.35.jpg

2019-11-14 20.10.14.jpg

Edited by Andrew S

3 hours ago, Andrew S said:

Thanks Marc, wondering now if I have over tightened it and its split. I have a new one that came with filter but decided to fit the old one :(

Yup...been there and done that myself in the past.

3 hours ago, Andrew S said:

Thanks Marc, wondering now if I have over tightened it and its split. I have a new one that came with filter but decided to fit the old one :(

Never re-use previously (crushed) washers!

Well, let's hope that's the case here. Best start with an attempt at a simple fix!

Looks 100% to be a leak from the plug washer. Many years ago I had a similar leak from a Renault Laguna and when I looked into it the washer was not there and I had put the plug back without noticing.