makeshiftuk

It just gets better.

Hi all,

You may have stumbled across a similar thread that I posted up 5 weeks ago where my stationary, parked car was hit by my thoughtful neighbour.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry today, because virtually the same thing has happened again - my stationary, parked E39 was hit by a woman in an XC90, pulling out of the her parking space next to mine. My front bumper is utterly mullered, and what's going to be interesting to see is what they offer to payout for the car on basis it's already been categorised a 'Cat N' from the previous ding in September. Pics below.

The offending moron gets away with a flat tyre, and some superficial scratching on the leading edge of her rear wheel arch.

Can't believe my luck.

IMG_3153.thumb.jpg.849716c17b934218df136e993b513e2d.jpgIMG_3162.thumb.jpg.f3ecfae51b7aee7e31fe1dcd83ad85f6.jpg

29 minutes ago, JCM said:

Sorry to see that. Did you get their details at all?

Fortunately yes - name, telephone number and photo of their driving license.

Are you sure she was pulling out or gathering speed for take off,What a bloody mess she,s made of your car,

Such a shame for you,awful when this happens.

Ouch! gutted for you!

Be interested to hear how this plays out re value as i'm curious to know how the insurers would treat a previous cat n on value.

Bloody hell - unbelievable!

Was this outside your house?

Thanks gents.

This was in the car park of St Anthonys Hospital in Sutton. If my Doctor had seen me on time at 11am I suspect none of this would have ever happened.

Providing there's no underlying structural damage (from what I can see it needs a new bumper, wheel arch liner and under tray) what am I looking at cost-wise to get this fixed? If there's a way I can keep her on the road I'll bloody do it.

Unbelievable!  How can anyone do that much damage pulling out of a parking space, even with a Volvo? What speed was she doing?

Gutted for you. Our worst fear and for it to happen twice is unbelievable.  

How easily does the bonnet open?

Looking at the bonnet alignment and near side headlamp I’d say the front panel/crossmember behind the bumper and the offside bumper mounting bracket under the wing needs replacing and check the wiring loom for the PDCs. Bumper mounts may also need replacement. You may have to straighten some of the mounting straps and a load of screws, brackets and bolts. Apart from the front corner under tray piece you should be able to source most of it second hand but then you’ll need to get it painted. I’d estimate about £1200 parts and painting assuming you can’t take it apart and put it back together again yourself. 

32 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Unbelievable!  How can anyone do that much damage pulling out of a parking space, even with a Volvo? What speed was she doing?

Even just clipping and dragging the bumper off like that wouldn't next more than a couple of mph, particularly with that big mass of a Volvo.

Wouldn't it be better if you can get her pay for the damage caused and not involve insurance companies?

Edited by greenelekta

1 hour ago, greenelekta said:

Wouldn't it be better if you can get her pay for the damage caused and not involve insurance companies?

It would be, but that's not a cheap fix unfortunately. The other driver will more than likely need/want to go down the insurance route.

But you never know...

Cant believe your luck...or lack off.

That's a kick in each of your balls for both accidents.

It amazes me on a daily basis how people passed their test...clearly they got their license out of a cereal box.

Hopefully insurance company dont have your pants down.

Good luck mate.

A good used replacement Bunper and painting should be around £400, if you can get the cash out of her it wouldn’t be a hard fix, but insurance would likely get new oem bumper and bmw paint costs may run well over 1k as a claim.

looks a tidy car tho, we’ll worth saving for the sake of a bumper, could always buy the salvage back and look for a sterling used Bumper?

terrible luck all the same tho

On 14/11/2019 at 19:00, Mashmanu said:

Gutted for you. Our worst fear and for it to happen twice is unbelievable.  

How easily does the bonnet open?

Pleased to report the bonnet opens/closes normally, and everything underneath seems tidy. The front wing and wheel/tyre don't seem to have suffered any damage either.

Thanks again for all the good wishes. It's very much my plan that, like last time, I buy back the car as a 'total loss', get her repaired and MOT'd and certified again as 'roadworthy' to satisfy my insurer. This car has been through hell recently, and I'm not going to give up on her.

I've done my bit with submitting pictures to my insurer, and even a screenshot of a text that the offender's insurer sent to offer their support with a courtesy car etc.. a sure-fire admission of guilt. Given the extent of the damage I'm going to assume I won't need to travel to a repair centre to assess the damage (as an official repair with new parts would vastly outweigh the car's value) and I hope it will proceed straight to payout stage.

Few more pics below - I removed the under tray today which was already mullered (and being held in by 2 screws), and without a bumper to 'wedge' it into it was just flapping on the ground. A few cable ties later and it's slightly tidier - I would have removed the wheel arch 'fender liner' too (which I literally just replaced a few months back), and whilst it's mostly intact it does seem to be holding the bumper up. Annoyingly, I've spotted one of the PDC sensor looms was cut in the accident, hopefully this is an easy to replace?

Oh and through the insurers my temporary hire car came today... a virtually brand new '69 (er-hem) 420d Gran Coupe with just under 2k on the clock. Lovely looking car and the first diesel I've ever driven... and as much as it's nice to look at, it registers a solid zero on the emotional quotient index. Can't wait to get my E39 on the road.

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

Are you on FB @makeshiftuk

IIRC there are a few Sport bumpers for sale; but you could see if @Tims can source one for you also

If you're on FB, Simon Garland on the E39 pages breaks E39s and he's great to deal with etc

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Are you on FB @makeshiftuk

IIRC there are a few Sport bumpers for sale; but you could see if @Tims can source one for you also

If you're on FB, Simon Garland on the E39 pages breaks E39s and he's great to deal with etc

I don't use facebook unfortunately, would you mind reaching out to Simon on my behalf?

Incidentally, a timely post in the Cotswold section of the forums has given me a steer on the price of a brand new bumper: https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/138941-e39-sport-front-bumper/?tab=comments#comment-1489986

I'll send a PM to Tims. Thanks for the advice.

If you need a recommendation for painting and any other bodywork assistance, Ian Taylor in Horley is the guy I've used for many years now. I picked up the 540 from him yesterday afternoon after he put right my car park knock from a couple of weeks ago. 

Edited by Loadmaster

On 16/11/2019 at 16:19, makeshiftuk said:

I don't use facebook unfortunately, would you mind reaching out to Simon on my behalf?

Incidentally, a timely post in the Cotswold section of the forums has given me a steer on the price of a brand new bumper: https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/138941-e39-sport-front-bumper/?tab=comments#comment-1489986

I'll send a PM to Tims. Thanks for the advice.

Not a bad price for a new bumper!

17 minutes ago, Sandip said:

Not a bad price for a new bumper!

Fully agree; I'd personally go for that. At least you know it's new/undamaged and will fit properly, first time

I've just asked Cotswold to requote, and it's gone down even further (slightly).

In the meantime however, I called Admiral asking for an update on my claim to be informed it was in their 'backlog' and that I should be contacted in relation to the settlement value over the coming week. Unlike previously where I was granted a grace period for getting a new MOT done to certify the car as roadworthy, Admiral have decided to redact my insurance effective immediately, pending a new MOT.

This presents me with a slight problem in the sense that I can't (legally) drive to a bodyshop to get the work done (or thoroughly assess the condition of the car prior to embarking upon the bumper replacement) - so the question I have is: Am I able to pass an MOT if I gaffer tape the s*** out of the bumper to negate any sharp edges (that could injure pedestrians)?

6 hours ago, makeshiftuk said:

I've just asked Cotswold to requote, and it's gone down even further (slightly).

In the meantime however, I called Admiral asking for an update on my claim to be informed it was in their 'backlog' and that I should be contacted in relation to the settlement value over the coming week. Unlike previously where I was granted a grace period for getting a new MOT done to certify the car as roadworthy, Admiral have decided to redact my insurance effective immediately, pending a new MOT.

This presents me with a slight problem in the sense that I can't (legally) drive to a bodyshop to get the work done (or thoroughly assess the condition of the car prior to embarking upon the bumper replacement) - so the question I have is: Am I able to pass an MOT if I gaffer tape the s*** out of the bumper to negate any sharp edges (that could injure pedestrians)?

How can this be right? The MOT on the car is valid until October next year...!

I would doubt that an MOT tester would pass it with half a ton of tape holding the front bumper in place. Possibly approach Ian Taylor and explain the situation - he lives in Merstham and passes through Redhill twice a day, to and from his bodyshop. If you're not too far off the A23, maybe he could come past and assess the work at your place.

Or, I could speak to him on your behalf. You can also email him the pics that you've posted here, for an initial assessment. 

Edited by Loadmaster

I decided to press on and perform a temporary repair of the bumper, aided with some silver Halfords duct tape - and I don't think it looks too bad, considering some of the pictures I shared initially above.

Next step is an MOT this week, then over to a few body shops for some quotes. Hopefully I'll hear from my insurer too on the subject of their valuation for my (second) total loss write-off.

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg