Spreadly

Diesel grades

31 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

Just found this article, and I must say, interesting. It's put me off filling up with "premium" diesel. I never have done, and I don't think I will now.

https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/why-you-should-avoid-using-premium-diesel

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My thoughts are that I probably wouldn’t run my BMW on Indian diesel, premium or otherwise, in the first place.

I’ve always disbelieved the oil companies’ claims about premium anything though, they’re in it for the money not whether your car or wallet benefits.

Bear in mind that article refers largely to American brands and companies... what is permissible under US regulation can vary quite a bit to what is permitted under UK or European standards.

Tend to run mine on BP Ultimate.

Base stocks will be the same additive packs won't be. Having a ran a pre DPF diesel then I saw less smoke with more premium diesel. That being said V Power is an oddity in that arrange being GTL, where in some areas it has been found that whilst deposits are less in the DPF due to the nature of those deposits (being GTL) it takes a greater level of temperature during regeneration to burn them off at the upper end.

Honestly, I think the best way to keep your car running smoothly and clean it out, is to have yearly servicing, interim oil changes should you feel the need, and regular motorway runs.

At the end of the day, BMWs aren't made for local runs to Tesco and back. Well, not unless you drive a 1 or 2 Series.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On 11/13/2019 at 6:20 PM, apples12 said:

Mine has lived exclusively off BP standard/fuelsave diesel for the last 115,000 miles, a total of 11,760 litres. No ill effects yet!

To be fair my old 2010 Audi A6 2.0TDi did 80k miles in 4 years and ran pretty much Sainsburys derv and never had any issues with running....electrical faults and sh*te build quality were 10 a penny.

2 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I do c30k per annum and rarely use anything other than supermarket fuel (since they started selling it) never had an issue relating to the fuel yet. 

You may want to consider a fuel card to lower your fuel bill.. I've found mine invaluable and has saved me around £3-400 over the year, BP bunker card means I get a fixed price for the entire week regardless of which BP I use - regularly filling up at Warwick services BP, this week's price is 123.6 Inc vat for BP, often cheaper than the Asda I drive past on my way home!

2 hours ago, apples12 said:

You may want to consider a fuel card to lower your fuel bill.. I've found mine invaluable and has saved me around £3-400 over the year, BP bunker card means I get a fixed price for the entire week regardless of which BP I use - regularly filling up at Warwick services BP, this week's price is 123.6 Inc vat for BP, often cheaper than the Asda I drive past on my way home!

Thanks, something I've never ever considered, I'll have a look.