Spreadly

Ford Capri...

I don't think either of those could be considered a replacement.

Needs to be like the gt86 or something.

Rwd fun and affordable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's probably a waste of time. The Capri era has been and gone and like the Supra, it has the wrong badge. The Capri means nothing to anyone in the market for a Coupe (4 Series, CLK etc) and like the Supra, it'll flop. 

Ford already sell the Mustang that does very well in the US and very moderately in Europe/UK. I'm always wary of a company that has to look back to past glories because it's bankrupt in the new ideas dept. Would Ford have brought back the 100E Anglia in 1978?

The car you always promised yourself...

A friend had a 2.8i and another a 3.0s capri back in the late 80's and they have never done anything for me tbf.

Another firiend has the 2.3 (yawn) ecoboost Mustang and is awaiting delivery of his special edition Bullit thing, again I think they are hideous and the build quality is shocking from what I've seen, certainly not worth the 50 odd k they cost.

Some things are best left in the past but I guess they want to tap into the disposable income of the reminiscing market. 

I do find it sad that so many people buy a car for the badge nowadays, but I also understand. All of the Fords and Toyotas I have driven have had nothing short of a cheap, sh*t interior, with bad build quality.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

I do find it sad that so many people buy a car for the badge nowadays,

That's BMWs marketing strategy for the 1 Series, the 2 Series and anything with an X in front of the number Series.

It works quite well from what I can tell as no one buys Fords with their own money anymore.

That's BMWs marketing strategy for the 1 Series, the 2 Series and anything with an X in front of the number Series.

Not forgetting the A class. I do like the X5M though. Would I be banned from the forum for also saying that I quite like the X2M? I don't think enough to actually buy one though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If they brought back the Ford Granada Scorpio I would be a happy buyer, together with just about every police force in the UK.  Contrary to complaints about crap interiors etc, these were really well finished with bomb proof 2.9i engines and four armchairs on wheels. Alas, just an old man dreaming of his last two grannys and happier days, without waiting for yet another warning of impending doom appearing on the dash as in my current 530d.

Picture 030.jpg

RIMG0161.jpg

I've always thought that Ford could have made a decent Capri replacement when they owned Mazda using the MX5 chassis, stick a retro coupe body on like they've done with the latest Mustang and offer it with a 2.0 4 pot or 3.0 V6. Job done.:)

On 15/11/2019 at 13:42, oldjohnny said:

If they brought back the Ford Granada Scorpio I would be a happy buyer, together with just about every police force in the UK.  Contrary to complaints about crap interiors etc, these were really well finished with bomb proof 2.9i engines and four armchairs on wheels. Alas, just an old man dreaming of his last two grannys and happier days, without waiting for yet another warning of impending doom appearing on the dash as in my current 530d.

Picture 030.jpg

RIMG0161.jpg

I've said before that I found my mk3 Granada very close to an e39 in terms of comfort and built quality, I'd say it took Ford until the mk4 Mondeo before they built something comparable. I've also said before that the only reason I now drive a BMW is because Ford stopped building RWD cars, I'd have another Granada in a heartbeat.

On 11/11/2019 at 20:19, duncan-uk said:

Not as cool as this B)

E10CD92F-48BF-430B-AAA7-0F2356ABC1EB.jpeg

Indeed!!

I have very fond memories of my Mk2 and Mk3 3.0s's. If they bought out some modern pastiche of it with RWD and a manual box, I would certainly be tempted ... 

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:09, NWJW said:

I've also said before that the only reason I now drive a BMW is because Ford stopped building RWD cars, I'd have another Granada in a heartbeat.

+1 on that.  I wanted a Sierra when I graduated but I couldn't find a clean one with a decent/any history.  I did then nearly buy a 2.0i Ghia Granada but again had no history, and ended up with the Senator which had loads of paperwork.

Its the age old thing now, why would you spend your own money outright on a big Ford which depreciates at the speed of sound when its cheaper to PCP a car so the great unwashed think of getting a premium German car on the never never instead of the Ford.  Its just a shame that the premium German cars bought today are all Blonde cars where has a fully loaded Granada Scorpio back in the day was a Bond car.