nealpina

Curve TVs

I like my curve TV. 

Not looking for a new TV but having a browse today, and it looks like curve TVs are no longer being made or sold.

Any experts on here with the reason (done a quick google but can’t find anything)?

I

2 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I remember reading somewhere that they are a gimmick and there is no actual benefit to having a curved screen.

I found that out the expensive way 

My tv is on an electric rising bracket, so you can’t see it when it’s off. Doing that with an oled would be a pain, and there’s no real benefit in an oled anyway.

6 hours ago, nealpina said:

I like my curve TV. 

Not looking for a new TV but having a browse today, and it looks like curve TVs are no longer being made or sold.

Any experts on here with the reason (done a quick google but can’t find anything)?

Hi Nealpina,

The short answer is nowhere near as many consumers opted to purchase curved (and 3D) TV sets as what was hoped around the globe over the last few years. I've seen experimental 3D TV at CES 2012 that didn't need the glasses and that was impressive, but at the time could only be successfully implemented on a 24 inch max screen. Given the lack of interest in 3D TV, it doesn't look like that will come to market for a good while yet as I'm sure by now they can implement it on much larger screens. 3D TV recently was perhaps the 2nd large attempt to see if consumers wanted it at home and curved I think was the first attempt. In the future, both might get re-booted as an idea again to see if they catch on at that point. I'd say curved screens once in large 70-75 inch and larger sizing can be done they'll re-attempt with the idea of it being 'mini iMax' for the home. 3D tv getting a reboot for non glasses requirement and in even larger screen sizing maybe.

Cheers, Dennis!

You can spend literally days of your life researching everything about TVs to find that the actual picture displaying screen is made by very few companies and all the major brands just buy them in and bolt on different processers to them so the actual picture quality isn't that much different between makes of TV.

Besides I don't get to watch it much the litt'un watches Peppa Pig, Peter Rabbit and Mister Maker on endless loops via iPlayer and Amazon Prime......

On 10/11/2019 at 22:16, DennisCooper said:

Hi Nealpina,

The short answer is nowhere near as many consumers opted to purchase curved (and 3D) TV sets as what was hoped around the globe over the last few years. I've seen experimental 3D TV at CES 2012 that didn't need the glasses and that was impressive, but at the time could only be successfully implemented on a 24 inch max screen. Given the lack of interest in 3D TV, it doesn't look like that will come to market for a good while yet as I'm sure by now they can implement it on much larger screens. 3D TV recently was perhaps the 2nd large attempt to see if consumers wanted it at home and curved I think was the first attempt. In the future, both might get re-booted as an idea again to see if they catch on at that point. I'd say curved screens once in large 70-75 inch and larger sizing can be done they'll re-attempt with the idea of it being 'mini iMax' for the home. 3D tv getting a reboot for non glasses requirement and in even larger screen sizing maybe.

Cheers, Dennis!

CES 2012 nice.

I think that will work well mini iMax curve 3D.  I do see the picture differently on my curve rather than flat IMO for the better.  Gran Turismo 5 or 6 is great in 3D.  So was watching Kyle in 3D :), sports work really well in 3D

20 hours ago, Chu said:

I have a curved oled 55 inch 3d tv its awesome and sits well in the corner.

Best telly yet.

Nice and now rare

I was too late buying a 3D curve when I purchased as it was only curve. If I could I would have purchased 3D curve

Edited by nealpina