nealpina

What differentiates a bus from a coach, or a coach from a bus?

They’re both a pain in the arse, especially buses.

Don’t know about where you are, but all the buses round here drive everywhere at 15-20mph.

They also like to stick their indicator on and just pull out, regardless if there’s anyone there or not, almost as if they’ve got more of a right to be on the road than you have.

I would suggest that coaches are designed to cover greater distances with few stops. So they are more comfortable and have higher gear ratios. Apart from that, my views seem to mirror those of Paddy O'Furniture

Slightly OT but I watched a programme about London buses recently. Amazed to learn they don't have a timetable but work on the basis of minutes between each bus. Now I would have thought that if a bus is running late, the driver would be told to hurry up a bit. Not so. It seems the bus behind is told to slow down to maintain the gap.

Edited by whiskychaser

29 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

I would suggest that coaches are designed to cover greater distances with few stops. So they are more comfortable and have higher gear ratios. Apart from that

I think that's right, a coach is a means to move lots of people by road from one point to another over a long distance.

A bus is stop/ start and local.

Kind of like a car and a taxi - have you ever been in a black cab on the motorway? Makes me wince!

20 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I think that's right, a coach is a means to move lots of people by road from one point to another over a long distance.

A bus is stop/ start and local.

Kind of like a car and a taxi - have you ever been in a black cab on the motorway? Makes me wince!

That's about right, some of the old half cab buses and coaches would make me wince too, thank god for power steering, airbrakes/throttle pedals, and automatic transmissions, all common place now, but not in the 1970's, you would be walking like John Wayne after an 8 hr shift.

On 10/11/2019 at 20:06, whiskychaser said:

Slightly OT but I watched a programme about London buses recently. Amazed to learn they don't have a timetable but work on the basis of minutes between each bus. Now I would have thought that if a bus is running late, the driver would be told to hurry up a bit. Not so. It seems the bus behind is told to slow down to maintain the gap.

I presume they don’t say hurry up as TFL may get accuse of telling their drivers to speed

Some interesting facts there some which I already knew.

I am looking at an engineering point of view e,g, (and already been mentioned) gear ratios will be different, rather than their function. 

1 hour ago, nealpina said:

Some interesting facts there some which I already knew.

I am looking at an engineering point of view e,g, (and already been mentioned) gear ratios will be different, rather than their function. 

While there are no clear lines defining either, I bet if you post some relevant pics, you will get definitive replies as to whether they are a bus or coach.

As already mentioned coaches for long distance, buses for shorter rides, generally in cities. And with an engineering pov, buses have a shorter wheelbase for city streets. 

Keliuss 

59 minutes ago, nealpina said:

Coaches have lots of space under the deck for luggage. Some even have a bunk for a second driver tucked under there too. Probably right next to the toilet tank. Depending where they are operated, they will have a longer wheelbase than buses. Both will have power steering, air brakes and some form of auto gearbox.

Are you thinking of buying one instead of a retro Ford?

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

BMW_Bus_(3664378043).jpg.e9e64cec9ab8b47d4fcc7a44d3065540.jpg

Not sure if this is a bus or a coach tbh, but E46 headlights me thinks :D.

Keliuss

On 10/11/2019 at 15:32, Paddy O'Furniture said:

They also like to stick their indicator on and just pull out, regardless if there’s anyone there or not, almost as if they’ve got more of a right to be on the road than you have.

Funny you should say that. Exact thing happened to a mate of mine on his way to work last week and knocked him clean of his Z800. The bus didn't even stop. 

10 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

When choosing a vehicle with a shorter wheelbase may have been wise:

italianjob.jpg

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea,"

I grew up in South Africa and they don't differentiate between bus and coach. They just call it a bus whether it's a commuter bus or long-distance coach. The well-known top tier coaches (Greyhound, Intercape, and Translux) down there tend to be mostly double-deckers towing a luggage trailer (although single deckers do exist), have reclining seats with seat belts, curtains, A/C vents above the seats, hot drinks served by the on-board cabin crew, multiple TVs for watching a movie, and onboard toilet facilities. Coach probably comes from the word 'stagecoach' used for transporting paying passengers and their goods between cities during the horse-drawn era. These journeys would be long enough to have a need to change horses during the journey.

24666545248_234c16ba32.jpg

cover.jpg

Wow I like that, I definitely need one of those to take to race meetings, the rear part would make a nice big garage  :wub:

Edited by Sarnie

The difference between a coach and a bus in the uk anyway is that a coach has no standing allowed whereas a bus does. That is the main classification difference from a dept of transport point of view. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:34, Keliuss said:

I bet if you post some relevant pics, you will get definitive replies as to whether they are a bus or coach. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:36, Keliuss said:

BMW_Bus_(3664378043).jpg.e9e64cec9ab8b47d4fcc7a44d3065540.jpg

Not sure if this is a bus or a coach tbh, but E46 headlights me thinks :D

Apart from this E46 :lol:

Edited by nealpina

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:43, whiskychaser said:

Maybe even better than buying a 40 years old car to avoid the ULEZ and the Congestion Charge.

Good thinking: Buy a Euro 6 Bus or Coach, and drive in Bus Lanes and avoid the traffic also :lol:

13 hours ago, GStarrr said:

a coach has no standing allowed whereas a bus does. 

No standing on the coach, not standing waiting for the coach to arrive ;):lol:

Sorry couldn't resist