OK. Had a fun afternoon today. 

It was actually the nearside that had been replaced with the Arnott spring, not the drivers side which was the one dropping. 

Since getting the car the nearside had been sitting around 10-15mm too high compared to the drivers side. I presumed that whoever put the Arnott spring on had also put the spacer that comes on the OEM spring back on when not needed. 

So as the car was jacked up I decided to remove the Arnott spring and take the spacer out. However, there was no spacer. Hmm? 

So, I put it all back together thinking the old spring might have been sitting low, but no, the side with the Arnott spring was still sitting 15mm too high. 

I put ISTA/D on and that confirmed it too, the nearside was 15mm too high. I had already tried to calibrate the ride height, so as I had bought a pair of springs I thought I would take the Arnott out and put the Chinese one in there so a matching pair. 

While out something interesting. The OEM and Chinese springs stood upside down match height, I am talking between the bit that slots in the top and the cup itself. The Arnott one however sits lower, this accounts for the car sitting higher the Arnott side. 

As soon as the pair of Chinese springs were in the car is sitting perfectly level, in fact ISTA/D was showing both were sitting 5mm low. This is probably me trying to adjust the ride height before in ISTP, trying to get it to match, which I just could't. 

Anyway, all sorted and I will keep the Arnott as spare in the rear, just in case. But, if you are changing for Arnott, I would recommend doing both sides at once, and be prepared for it to sit a little higher. It also felt a little softer too, when going right you could feel more roll on the left hand rear, snake down the road and it was quite noticeable. I guess because the spring is slightly longer the pressure in it is a bit less for a given ride height. 

If you adjust the ride height you can feel the spring rate change, drop the car and it becomes softer, raise it 10mm and it firms up, the opposite of regular springs. Obvious really, but never really thought about it before messing around trying to level the rear.  

It does make me think lowering springs on these are not a good move, you are firming up the front and if you drop the rear to match you are actually making the rear softer. Not what you want at all. 

I've gone for the Dunlops now £170 a pair. Funnily enough, guy at work said I might as well change them both because if ones gone the other wont be far behind. Yesterday car was sat on the floor both sides at the back! Hopefully arriving today and fitting friday.

Arnott, but others say go cheap from Amazon.. choice is yours.

For me I enjoy my car and the way it rides, and don't intend to put anything cheap or sub standard on,l it, so I went Arnott at £320 for a pair seemed a reasonable price for a suspension part of this nature, when I fitted them you could see where the money went very nice quality and ride I think is now better than original.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Arnotts.  Aerousus are similar in quality but a little more expensive. Some people have used cheap Chinese made items available on EBay with success but they could be more of a lottery.

I went for Aerosus directly from the manufacturer https://aerosus.net/bmw/5-series/f07-f07-lci-f10-f10-lci-f11-f11-lci-f18-f18-lci/bmw-5-series-gt-f07-f10-f11-rear-air-spring-assembly.html

Been great for many months and many kms.

Many opt for Arnott https://www.arnotteurope.com/products/bmw.html

@revjames went for Dunlop and I'm sure there's plenty who opted for the cheapo Chinese ones available on auction sites. 

While some will claim they've had no problems with the cheapo's, personally I opted for a quality branded manufacturer with traceability and warranty.

I have done tests with OEM vs Arnott vs Chinese. 

No difference at all between the 3 as far as ride goes, one of the cars with the Chinese ones has done 110k miles with them now and still fine, and another one now done 80k with them on. 

Far less difference between air springs and coil springs. 

£360 for Arnotts buys you Chinese ones and 10 spares. 

The reality is a stone or grit will rip the bag before age perishes it. 

I have all three somewhere, maybe I will cut them open to compare if I can find them. 

On 11/02/2021 at 17:33, gIzzE said:

I have done tests with OEM vs Arnott vs Chinese. 

No difference at all between the 3 as far as ride goes, one of the cars with the Chinese ones has done 110k miles with them now and still fine, and another one now done 80k with them on. 

Far less difference between air springs and coil springs. 

£360 for Arnotts buys you Chinese ones and 10 spares. 

The reality is a stone or grit will rip the bag before age perishes it. 

I have all three somewhere, maybe I will cut them open to compare if I can find them. 

Same, I bought the eBay ones @ c£40 each and found them absolutely fine. My colleague did the same with his 7 series and had it way after I'd sold mine, from memory I did around 30k before I sold it. 

Just had my air springs checked and garage said they need replacing what you guys think?

Screenshot_20210327-102254_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, bestdj said:

Just had my air springs checked and garage said they need replacing what you guys think?

It doesn't look great. Does the suspension drop? 

1 minute ago, bestdj said:

So if it drops I will still be able to drive?

As long as it lifts up after starting the engine it should be ok. If not don't  try driving it.

If you're planning on keeping the car for a good while you could get some new springs in now to keep in reserve or just wait and see how long the current ones last. They might surprise you.

If something rips a massive hole in it, no. 

But if, which is what usually happens, you get a small pin prick type hole in it yeah. 

You normally notice it if left for a couple of days and one side lower than the other. The compressor will pump it up and keep it up too, but then the compressor will be working overtime. It should just kick in to level the car, not keep it up. 

But to change them for no reason seems a bit silly. If you are doing it yourself, for the sake of £65 go for it. But a garage will probably charge 1-2 hours labour and you are then at £250 or so for no reason. 

The reality is these tend to go when a stone gets caught under the airbag, not due to age. So you have just as much chance of new ones going as the ones already on there. 

Thanks guys appreciate your help found those on ebay for 45 quid will buy them and keep as spare

BTW garage quote 860 quid lol

Screenshot_20210327-104521_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210327-104536_eBay.jpg

Edited by bestdj

3 minutes ago, bestdj said:

BTW garage quote 860 quid

That's a bit over the top.

Just as a word of caution... If it does start to drop don't leave it long before replacing the springs. The compressor will be overworking having to lift the car more often and will eventually fail costing you more £££.

1 minute ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Just as a word of caution... If it does start to drop don't leave it long before replacing the springs. The compressor will be overworking having to lift the car more often and will eventually fail costing you more £££

Agree and my air springs not dropped a tiny bit so will keep new one as spare and the price they gave me I thought its gold air springs :D

Thanks for this really useful guide. Suitably inspired I changed mine yesterday. Sytner wanted £1,250 for the job. I paid about £350 for a pair of Arnott springs and it was a couple of hours well spent.

Just got a notification on this thread come through. 

Mate hit 200k miles a couple of weeks back on his F11 with the £30 air springs fitted at just under 120k miles.