Guys I’m in the middle of this job.. I have the drivers side done but when I took out passanger side there was a black spacer between chassis and top of airbag. Should this be reused?

Depending on what units you have going back in its place. I changed for the arnotts units and they do not need the black spacer ring. As one side of mine also had one and one didn't...

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

Shot well I reinstalled it as it was there. Units comming out looked original so it's probably there from factory. 

When I turned on engine the car lifted but there was a loud popping sound. 

It's that inductive of an installation issue?

Hope ists not an air pipe blown off. Will take for a spin and report back. 

The 'pop' might have been an airline popping out, but you'd have noticed by the rapid sag as it lost air.

Another possibility might be the bottom connection point snapping properly into it's seating if you hadn't got it quite seated.

Either way I'm sure it'll be obvious if you need to refit one of the airsprings.

Probably the unit seating at the bottom, did you use ISTA to inflate. That way you can check all is well with the wheels off etc. I am pretty sure the Arnotts instructions said don't refit

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

The other two beat me to it. The pop was probably the bottom of the spring seating fully in the mount. When I did mine I couldn't get it all the way in by hand. It was only when I inflated the bag it popped fully into place.

So all seems good. Weird I had one on only one side. Would love to know for sure that there is no issue with it being on one side only. 

I picked up another 530d tonight, LCI M-Sport, and the rear nearside air spring has been recently replaced, but it is sitting very high, so I suspect someone has fitted it with the spacer in when not needed, going to try and have a look tomorrow. 

Thanks for the very informative thread. I have a 63 plate 530D Touring and have a sagging rear end driver side. A guy at work says better to replace the pair as if one has gone the other wont be far behind so considering that. Interesting comments regarding the cheaper ones. I am considering a pair of Dunlop ones at approx £180 for the pair. Anyone had any experience with these or is it definitely Arnotts the way to go?

1 hour ago, revjames said:

A guy at work says better to replace the pair

He's right...ish. Having said that though I think my car did another 10000 miles before I had to change the second bag so maybe depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.

1 hour ago, revjames said:

I am considering a pair of Dunlop ones at approx £180 for the pair. Anyone had any experience with these or is it definitely Arnotts the way to go?

I've never heard of anyone using Dunlop air bags but their tyres are considered premium quality so their air bags might be ok. £180 for the pair is quite a saving but if you plan on keeping car for a while you know you won't go wrong with Arnotts.

I picked up another 530d touring and they had just replaced the neasrside with an Arnott unit. 

The car is now sitting low again on that side, less than 1000 miles since having the new unit fitted. I guess it is just bad luck if you get something sharp get shot up into the bag and it rips. 

I have ordered two more Chinese ones for mine, new relay and new valve solenoid. £103 all in. I will keep the other good one as a spare in the boot. 

I am also going to order a 6mm to Shrader valve adapter in case the compressor ever fails, that way at least I can get them pumped up and use the car even if the self levelling doesn't work short term. 

Edited by gIzzE

Thanks for the replies. Will replace the pair but keep the undamaged one as a spare in any case.

Schrader valve sounds an excellent idea

I've always subscribed to the idea of don't buy the cheapest but not the most expensive either. £400 is a big hit for me at the moment especially as I just forked out for front brakes and a service. I spotted some on ebay marked as 'genuine BMW' made by Luft Meister. However I thought the genuine ones were Arnotts? a bit confused...... The Luft Meister ones will be about £245 the pair.

Edited by revjames

2 hours ago, gIzzE said:

The car is now sitting low again on that side, less than 1000 miles since having the new unit fitted

That's disappointing but I guess they can be quite susceptible to damage. Even so I think I'd be contacting Arnott to ask about a warranty replacement considering the mileage it's covered. It'll be interesting to see what you find when you change the bags over. Are you sure it's the bag at fault this time?

42 minutes ago, revjames said:

I thought the genuine ones were Arnotts?

Not sure about that. The genuine BMW bag I took off my car wasn't the same to look at as the Arnott bag which replaced it. I'll have to go and have a look at Lift Meister now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-5-Series-F11-Estate-Touring-F07-GT-Rear-Air-Suspension-Spring-A-2780/124311542275

these are the ones I'm considering. I have sent a message asking how he can say they are 'genuine'.

24 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

That's disappointing but I guess they can be quite susceptible to damage. Even so I think I'd be contacting Arnott to ask about a warranty replacement considering the mileage it's covered. It'll be interesting to see what you find when you change the bags over. Are you sure it's the bag at fault this time?

90% sure. Pulled the 152 fuse and it went down again.

So could be the solenoid valve or the line from the valve to the spring I guess. Lines very really go at 100k miles. Could be the valve though. 

Or could be the compressor, no longer giving enough pressure to keep it level. We loaded the car to go camping for the night (my sons 12th birthday and wanted to take 10 mates camping, don't ask!) and that is when we saw it collapsed. 

Maybe the valve is shagged? As it tried to level the car with the rear loaded more air came out than it could put in? 

At the end of the day, the whole system can be replaced these days for £250 including compressor, so if that needs to be done at least I know I am good for another 60k miles at least. Or until another flint gets caught under the bag in 100 miles. Haha

I will update on Wednesday when I replace it all. 

Interesting. Luft Master are EU made and from Firestone rubber etc. Luft Meister on the other hand are from China. 

3 hours ago, revjames said:

Interesting. Luft Master are EU made and from Firestone rubber etc. Luft Meister on the other hand are from China. 

I had to smile at the subtle difference. Who would have thought a company called Lift Meister would not be German. EBay can be a nightmare and it'seasy to get taken in if you're not careful.

I noticed the description in the listing you posted said the bags were fitted with Firestone bellows but further down it mentioned Dunlop. Luft Masters website is displaying Dunlops logo so I guess there must be a partnership between them but there's no mention of Firestone.

Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Cadwell Parker

51 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I noticed the description in the listing you posted said the bags were fitted with Firestone bellows but further down it mentioned Dunlop. Luft Masters website is displaying Dunlops logo so I guess there must be a partnership between them but there's no mention of Firestone.

Caveat Emptor.

Indeed, elsewhere there are Dunlop bags at £169/ pair so might as well go for them