TJS

Voice Control

Hi Guys

l have an f11 march 2017 registered 520SE. It has the voice control on the steering wheel. My query is if l push it, should it beep and then allow voice commands for certain functions, or is it just for phone calls?

if when traveling l push the control nothin happens, so l guess it is only for the phone or are numerous voice controls standard on the f11 520 SE

Help appricated 

26 minutes ago, TJS said:

l push the control nothin happens,

Sounds about right, it doesn’t work in my F10 nor either of my E60s.

Perhaps it just can’t understand Glaswegian accents.:D

Useless gimmick if you ask me. 

Lol so l need to change my slight B.ham accent, Andrew!  Thanks l thought this would be the case.

BTW l sorted, l think, the idrive rebooting. Dealer reset on Tuesday so see how it goes.

Great site! Grateful  to all who take part. Hope l can give, as well as take , when l get more experience of the make. 

Can be used for navigation, etc, but the system is so poor I never use it. My Amazon fire stock voice recognition is superb in comparison. 

1 hour ago, percha said:

Well downloaded the BMW Driving Guide App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bmwgroup.driversguide.row&hl=en_GB) this morning to get a full list of voice commands, and then tried a few out and they worked really well. For example one I will use a lot is "Navigation to home" ;)

Yep, if you know what to say then it works quite well. 

14 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It’s good to see others can’t get theirs to work either and it’s not the strange dialect I speak in. :D

My previous cars couldn’t understand “navigate auchterarder” in my broad Fife accent but interestingly my newer one understands it just fine. Don’t know what’s different though.

Edited by Boba

19 hours ago, Boba said:

My previous cars couldn’t understand “navigate auchterarder” in my broad Fife accent

I would imagine it would have also struggled with, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, Ravenstruther and Achaphubuil, to name but a few places this side of Hadrians wall.