Jump to content
tallman85

Running Temperature / Thermostat Issue?

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

I think my thermostat is stuck.  So i switched on the digital temp and it took around 15mins to go up to high 60s,  then in traffic it reached the high 70s and after 30mins it reached around 85 in traffic...then when i started driving it went down 70-71 again...

 

As far as i know it should be around 90 and it should  reach it fast for efficiency.
 

What do you think? Am I wrong or should I replace it?

 

This was triggered as i am having poor mpg...mostly city driving here in malta..but should be more than 23mpg! 
 

Thank you

D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yes,

 

EGR & main engine stat, change both for genuine ones, should sit at 85° - 90°

 

Thank you for replying.

Sorry for the 'idiot' question, but when you say genuine, you mean from BMW? because i found on ebay branded BEHR - MAHLE which are half the price and I believe they are the same as BMW, just not having the BMW logo on them.

 

What do you think?

 

Thx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got both brand new BMW boxed one's at home waiting to go in, I'll get back to you later. 

But yes the recommendations off here are for o.e so I bought genuine from BMW for peace of mind. 

Lots of people have fitted eBay & Circoli ones just to have them fail weeks later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BMW thermostats didn't even last a year before going faulty again, opted for the Reno 5 inline thermostat mod, 3 years down the road and all is still well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Behr part = BMW part. The BMW logo is ground off the Behr part.

Why/how is this? I work for an injection moulding company. While we own all our injection moulding machines, we don't own the interchangeable moulds, they are technically the property of the the company we make the parts for. Now you see how Behr can make the parts but have to grind off the logo of the parts that don't go to BMW if they want to sell them. 

 

Keliuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

Behr part = BMW part. The BMW logo is ground off the Behr part.

Why/how is this? I work for an injection moulding company. While we own all our injection moulding machines, we don't own the interchangeable moulds, they are technically the property of the the company we make the parts for. Now you see how Behr can make the parts but have to grind off the logo of the parts that don't go to BMW if they want to sell them. 

 

EGR stat is made by Behr but not the main stat. The original main stat is Made in Austria and Behr/Mahle like most other after market main stats are Made in Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

Correct, I meant the EGR stat only, Behr = BMW.

 

Keliuss

 

i know what you mean, but really not fair paying double for the same part.  So both original from bmw will cost €130 while MAHLE-BEHR will cost €70.  Probably it will be the same part.  I mean mercedes and bmw are full of Behr parts anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

 

i know what you mean, but really not fair paying double for the same part.  So both original from bmw will cost €130 while MAHLE-BEHR will cost €70.  Probably it will be the same part.  I mean mercedes and bmw are full of Behr parts anyways. 

As I said both delivered to my door for £88.00.

I was going to go down the Renault 5 route but after a indepth conversation with GoNz0 have decided to get mine right as it should be due to towing a caravan ect, don't wish to cook my gearbox. 

If you've done the egr & main stat & have more issues it'll be the transmission stat.

Now there is a good mod for that.

But each to their own, I don't wish to start this old argument up again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

As I said both delivered to my door for £88.00.

I was going to go down the Renault 5 route but after a indepth conversation with GoNz0 have decided to get mine right as it should be due to towing a caravan ect, don't wish to cook my gearbox. 

If you've done the egr & main stat & have more issues it'll be the transmission stat.

Now there is a good mod for that.

But each to their own, I don't wish to start this old argument up again. 

 

So Cotswold BMW for both to my house is £122.

 

I dont plan to tow anything to be honest.  I am just doing this as i think running cold is affecting my mpg especially since i do short run.  Like 22 miles a day so it is importnat that my car gets to running temp quickly.   I have asked a quote from the main BMW agent and see what they will quote.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did both thermostats around 18 months ago - used Febi Bilstein ones, paid £25 for EGR and £28 for main one - both still working fine 15000 miles later. Beforehand it took over half an hour to get to 75°C (and often wouldn't go higher), afterwards it took about 3 mins to hit 90°C.

 

Whatever brand you get, it's important to keep an eye on the temps in the future.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stevenrl said:

I did both thermostats around 18 months ago - used Febi Bilstein ones, paid £25 for EGR and £28 for main one - both still working fine 15000 miles later. Beforehand it took over half an hour to get to 75°C (and often wouldn't go higher), afterwards it took about 3 mins to hit 90°C.

 

Whatever brand you get, it's important to keep an eye on the temps in the future.

 

 

 

 

Well Febi is another good german brand.  Yes I still dont understand why BMW put an MPG gauge instead of the temp gauge!!!! 

 

Did you replace them yourself? is a big task?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking aloud...did someone ever try to code so that the temperature is displayed all the time? 

Like they do with the digital speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

Just thinking aloud...did someone ever try to code so that the temperature is displayed all the time? 

Like they do with the digital speed.

 

Not possible. If it was, the procedure would be stickied at the top of the forum and we'd all have it done :)

 

Keliuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

 

Not possible. If it was, the procedure would be stickied at the top of the forum and we'd all have it done :)

 

Keliuss

 

:(

 

Accountants vs Engineers.....

Accountants always win...

 

At some point cars looked like airplanes until cost cutting started....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tallman - Yes, did them both myself, not too hard at all, just need to deal with the coolant - I drained about half mine out first so that the coolant level was below the thermostats. It was very clean, so put it back in afterwards.

EGR thermostat is simple, main thermostat requires a bit more messing around with hoses, but still did them both in under an hour, with no prior experience. Would have them done in half that next time. Used my cheap (£15!) ODB reader to display the coolant temps when I took it for a drive. I too wish it could be displayed by the car somehow...!

 

Edit: Just looked up the current prices for thermostats on Autodoc: Main £28, EGR: £21 for Febi parts - plently of other reputable ones available too - the Behr main one is £29, Gates for £26 (recommended by quite a few folks), Mahle is £34. I think their delivery is £8.50 or so (and takes about a week, usually), so you're still looking at under £60 all in.

Edited by Stevenrl
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stevenrl said:

Tallman - Yes, did them both myself, not too hard at all, just need to deal with the coolant - I drained about half mine out first so that the coolant level was below the thermostats. It was very clean, so put it back in afterwards.

EGR thermostat is simple, main thermostat requires a bit more messing around with hoses, but still did them both in under an hour, with no prior experience. Would have them done in half that next time. Used my cheap (£15!) ODB reader to display the coolant temps when I took it for a drive. I too wish it could be displayed by the car somehow...!

 

Edit: Just looked up the current prices for thermostats on Autodoc: Main £28, EGR: £21 for Febi parts - plently of other reputable ones available too - the Behr main one is £29, Gates for £26 (recommended by quite a few folks), Mahle is £34. I think their delivery is £8.50 or so (and takes about a week, usually), so you're still looking at under £60 all in.


Thanks for this.  I still need to check some prices in malta first and i will defo do it myself.  We have a malhe agent here but not sure about febi.
 

you can actually see the temperature however it will reset after you switch it off :( see video below.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/11/2019 at 18:19, tallman85 said:

Hi

 

I think my thermostat is stuck.  So i switched on the digital temp and it took around 15mins to go up to high 60s,  then in traffic it reached the high 70s and after 30mins it reached around 85 in traffic...then when i started driving it went down 70-71 again...

 

As far as i know it should be around 90 and it should  reach it fast for efficiency.
 

What do you think? Am I wrong or should I replace it?

 

This was triggered as i am having poor mpg...mostly city driving here in malta..but should be more than 23mpg! 
 

Thank you

D.

 

Is yours an auto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

 

Is yours an auto?


yes auto 530d.

 

any idea what should be the operating range?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tallman85 said:


yes auto 530d.

 

any idea what should be the operating range?

 

 

 

search this forum on the gearbox stat problems and solutions to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

 

search this forum on the gearbox stat problems and solutions to it!

 

Hi dotcom1970.  Thanks for replying but I am talking about the engine thermostat.  Does the gearbox have one too?? :huh:

 

I will try and do a search as now you got me worried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×