tallman85

Running Temperature / Thermostat Issue?

@tallman85 also, the 30mpg reading when you imported the car. You dont really know if its a true average over a decent distance or if BC had just been reset after a service, flat battery or random driver playing etc.

I try to only reset mpg at tank fill up and use whole tank before taking the reading as meaningful.

Also I do not rely on the digital mpg BC reading 100% I've owned BM's that read high and low and always do a 'true mpg manual calc' on tank refilling to compare to BC if I'm worried.

I believe (and would like to be corrected if necessary) that as well as errors in the BC reading itself (tolerances etc.) that mods like tyre size changes, remaps, egr and dpf deletes etc etc all effect the accuracy of the BC mpg reading. Only fuel in ÷ miles covered can give the actual value (and likely worse )

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, sarahMtony said:

Folowing this great thread with a smile.

One question tallman85; what do you mean here by resetting the trans then the engine? Resetting what?

Hello; by resetting I mean deleting the transmission and engine adaptations.  So mine tend to hold the gears too much in traffic, which is a killer to the mpg here.  I will definitely do it for the transmission.  A bit scared to touch the engine.  I got to know from here.  You need the INPA or ISTA-D software to do it. 

5 hours ago, sarahMtony said:

@tallman85 also, the 30mpg reading when you imported the car. You dont really know if its a true average over a decent distance or if BC had just been reset after a service, flat battery or random driver playing etc.

I try to only reset mpg at tank fill up and use whole tank before taking the reading as meaningful.

Also I do not rely on the digital mpg BC reading 100% I've owned BM's that read high and low and always do a 'true mpg manual calc' on tank refilling to compare to BC if I'm worried.

I believe (and would like to be corrected if necessary) that as well as errors in the BC reading itself (tolerances etc.) that mods like tyre size changes, remaps, egr and dpf deletes etc etc all effect the accuracy of the BC mpg reading. Only fuel in ÷ miles covered can give the actual value (and likely worse emoji21.png )

to be honest i have not driven too many miles yet, however I do expect that at least I meet was is quoted on the car specs.  But yes you are right, doing the actual calculation is probably the most accurate way.  I have a couple of parts to  change and then will see.

Unfortunately car specs (from BMW, in the handbook etc) are notoriously high in terms of real world driving. Look for what people/journalists etc get as actuals. I've not had a x30d but my 2007 635d did 35 all day long and around 40 on decent runs. City driving all the time and short runs you will do well to get >30 imho

2 hours ago, sarahMtony said:

Unfortunately car specs (from BMW, in the handbook etc) are notoriously high in terms of real world driving. Look for what people/journalists etc get as actuals. I've not had a x30d but my 2007 635d did 35 all day long and around 40 on decent runs. City driving all the time and short runs you will do well to get >30 imho

true, however i expect it to do at least 30mpg in traffic as a 530d lci. 

23-25mpg is 6-cylinder petrol territory.