Sign in to follow this  
Jules550i

550i help please

Hi all new user here

i don’t know if any of you knowledgeable people can assist but I have an issue with my 2010 550i
basically the crankcase breather pipe on the left side (looking under the bonnet) of the engine that attaches to a metal pipe coming up from the bottom of the engine keeps coming off.

It is very hard to attach as it is behind the air con pipes but even when I believe it is securely fitted it eventually comes off again!

now before I buy a new pipe and try that can anyone suggest another reason why this may be happening other than it being damaged?

i was wondering if perhaps a build up of pressure somewhere could be the cause?

Any help gratefully received.

regards

Jules

12 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Is what it fits over broken?  Or the pipe itself is broken and is slack on the fitting so it pops off?

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The metal pipe that the flexi pipe pushes on to looks fine as does the plastic fitting on the end of the flexi pipe.

Its difficult to fit and to know if it is fitted correctly at that end due to where it is down the side of the engine and so is mostly done by ‘feel’

The last time I had to refit it it stayed on for about 300 miles and then came off again.

I don’t have a problem paying the 30 odd quid for a genuine replacement but I would like to know if perhaps this whole problem started due to back pressure due to a problem or blockage elsewhere maybe?

Thanks again

Regards

Jules

Edited by Jules550i
Spelling

I'm not familiar with the pipe you mean and different BMW but i struggled to get a water hose back on after a thermostat change. However i twisted and pushed it wouldn't sit right but looked "home" and of course it popped off when running the engine.

The trick was a smear of vaseline and it literally clicked home easy as that - no idea why it wouldn't without but maybe something like that?

It could be a sign that something isn't well in the breather system. 

Unfortunately there wasn't a demand for that engine in the F10 this side of the pond (partly due to ecomentalists) so there is very limited knowledge on it in the U.K.