ger

535d gearbox reset after oil change

Quick question.

I've changed thd auto box's oil and understand that it s advisable to reset the box to account for the fact that it now has fresh oil.

Is this the same as resetting the driving style adaptations?

I don't intend to fully reset the box, but would like it to 'know' it's had an oil change and/or learn my driving style. 

Should I reset the driving adaptations? If I do, should I only drive it normally afterwards?

Thanks for any advice!

Opinions vary. ZF say reset adaptations at fluid change. Others including BMW mechanics might say if it's high mileage (like 140k) don't reset. Reset is done via diagnostics. 

1 hour ago, ger said:

Is this the same as resetting the driving style adaptations?

What are you referring to here? Is this the foot on accelerator 30 seconds thingy?

Keliuss

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't yet hooked up inpa or anything, but my understanding is that there are two 'levels' of reset, one just for learned driving adaptations and the other the full reset that clears the gear change revs etc and requires the specific learning routine/drive.

I used b-tool to monitor the box temps last night and it had two different adaptation resets (as described), I reckon the foot on pedal for a minute thing is the same as the learned driving style adaptations.

I might do that reset, but can't really be bothered with going backwards and forwards for ages are learning the change points etc, not unless it's needed...

Mine is at 145k miles!

The internet is awash with the "learned driving adaptations" reset, and I'm not sure what it is tbh. I think this is something to do with throttle body adaptations, but would love to see something definitive from a BMW source on the subject, rather than all the forum experts out there.

@Biotoxic  has a good thread here:

If you decide not to reset the gearbox adaptations they will re-learn anyway over time.

Keliuss

When my box was serviced the technician reset my gearbox oil adaptations but left the clutch

adaptations alone as my clutches are all the originals.

Yes just drive it as normal was what I was told.

Are you using ISTA+ or something else?

I let ista+ know I did a gearbox oil change and Adaptions reset. Full ''gearbox reset'' is only needed if you have done the actual overhaul(clutches, steels, mechatronics unit with all solenoids and seals + other wear van tear parts) 

if it's just the oil change, oil level check and adaptions that need to be executed.

Ok. I reset the learned driver adaptations using b-tool.

I got in touch with them in the evening and received a reply in the morning!

Select 'service functions', then 'EGS' for gearbox and then select the middle option 'gearbox learning functions reset', the middle option in the picture.

20191106_014901.thumb.jpg.339369a3f2ac13c6202f9c4ed7961f32.jpg

Not a huge difference after changing the oil and seals but it is smoother and gear changes are imperceptible now!

6 hours ago, ger said:

Ok. I reset the learned driver adaptations using b-tool.

I got in touch with them in the evening and received a reply in the morning!

Select 'service functions', then 'EGS' for gearbox and then select the middle option 'gearbox learning functions reset', the middle option in the picture.

20191106_014901.thumb.jpg.339369a3f2ac13c6202f9c4ed7961f32.jpg

Not a huge difference after changing the oil and seals but it is smoother and gear changes are imperceptible now!

What tool are you using?

5 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

What tool are you using?

B-tool expert, on android with a decent bluetooth adapter (can't remember what that one is!).

Link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.pw.btool.expert

I've paid for the full app, but it wasn't a fortune anyway!

Edited by ger

Just a little update. I reset the learned adaptations for my brother, he was complaining it was hanging on before changing up (getting close to 3k rpm most times); this in ordinary 'D' mode, behaving more as if it was in sport mode. He's had the car a good two years, it's had plenty of time to 'learn' his driving style, but in reality it hasn't changed at all. 

After the reset he's seen a big difference, changes up just like mine now, nearer 2k rpm under normal day to day driving. 

Just putting it out there that resetting this can make a bit of a difference.

How it behaves before resetting mostly depends on how the previos owner drove it, so not a bad thing to reset it.

Edited by ger