Tom-P

New e61 owner

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 56 plate black e61 in carbon black with only 55k. It’s a one owner car with really good main dealer history so hoping it’ll be good to me. I’m coming from an Alfa 159 ti estate which although was nice has ended up costing me a fortune. It’s still in the garage now after the head gasket repair lasted 10 miles before going again. I need a car though so took the plunge on the bmw as it was a great price. 

First impressions  are great. It drives brilliantly, is comfortable and is in really good condition. The drive compared to the Alfa is night and day. Although I was expecting better than 38 mpg on the run up the motorway (driving at 70).All wheels are immaculate, a couple of little dings on the bodywork (it’s 14 years old after all) and the interior could do with a proper carpet clean as I think the previous owner had dogs. The only downside is the cream leather but I’ll get used to it. 

There is one annoying problem with the car though that I knew about and researched before I bought the car. The central locking doesn’t work with either key. I got the car back today and pulled the diversity antennae out and it looks perfect. Additionally the 3rd brake light is very intermittent so I can only assume the loom is damaged?

it looks like there are plenty of good how to guides on here so I’ll have a good search around. Other things I need to do:

missing drivers side front grill (ordered replacement)

Carly obc reader - any other options?

once I have the Carly I’ll check to see if thermostats are running ok

Bluetooth / DAB install - probably a pure 600 run through the aux. I don’t like having the unit cluttering up the cabin so if there is any other options for a reasonable price I’ll have a look.

Remap :) 

anything else anyone would suggest?

Have added some pics but need to take more. 

Tom

69636655-5DC4-491B-80DB-A08CAC652BD1.jpeg

68B2F64F-0DE3-4CCC-A1B4-B31907CDA692.jpeg

25321DCA-9FFE-4BCA-8290-861C9B25147D.jpeg

8BCDA33E-D635-4A31-9DC0-B01AF6DB8F77.jpeg

716B5F84-D34E-4B03-A0A0-3BEFAFFE0AF4.jpeg

Thanks very much. 

I am currently having to use the pull out key to unlock and lock the car. The alarm goes off every time I open it which is irritating. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to look at the wiring tomorrow and that will fix it!

I've always had Alfa's as I was a huge fan of thier V6 busso engine. So I got my Dad to get a 159ti. It was a lovely thing to look at, probably my favourite looking saloon ever. But it was a heavy thing to drive. It had none of the handling characteristics of the previous generation of Alfa's which was a shame as the build quality was a huge step up.

Still prefer the old Alfa V6 engine over my V8 E60 especially for sound. But the BMW trumps it everywhere else.

Your E60 looks a good one btw.

It's just like mine except the previous owners forgot to drive it 55k in 12 years, why buy a diesel?

Oh & it's a 3.0 diesel just in a lower state of tune.

Does look a great car though in great condition. 

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel
More details

1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

It's just like mine except the previous owners forgot to drive it 55k in 12 years, why buy a diesel?

Oh & it's a 3.0 diesel just in a lower state of tune.

Does look a great car though in great condition. 

was always under the impression the pre lci was 2.5?

I know the lci is a 3.0, I have one, it was very detuned til I mapped it

I’m pretty sure it’s a 2.5 too. 

looks like I’ve got another job to sort out. Thermostats need changing as I can’t get engine temps over 65 degrees. Seems to be fairly straight forward to do though and not hugely expensive. Might just do the egr one first as that’s easiest and a quick job by the looks of it. 

Assuming the process is broadly the same as on the E39 with the M57, yeah, it's not difficult at all.. I did my main thermostat in a pretty short amount of time though mine was a manual without the EGR thermostat which helped a bit with access. 

I drove to work this morning (15 miles of 50-60 mph followed by 2 miles of town) and didn’t get up to 70 degrees so think I’ll do both thermostats to be sure. I got a warranty with he car so might try and claim through that. It’s worth a go I guess. 

On 11/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, Tom-P said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a 2.5 too. 

looks like I’ve got another job to sort out. Thermostats need changing as I can’t get engine temps over 65 degrees. Seems to be fairly straight forward to do though and not hugely expensive. Might just do the egr one first as that’s easiest and a quick job by the looks of it. 

Re: engine capacity, it'll be on the V5 but BMW haven't made a 2.5 diesel engine since the e36 day's. 

Thermostats are a common problem on these as they age, use only genuine one's. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:32 PM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Well bugger me, I've just put yor reg into a re-mapping site.

Yours is indeed a 2.5 174bhp model a re-map takes it to the same as mine as std.

235bhp.

yep. Remap is on the list. 

fitted new thermostats this morning. Took it for a short drive and temps up between 88 and 92 so seems to have done the trick.  It was barely getting over 70 before so I think it’s going to need a good regen. Will try and get a motorway run tonight or tomorrow. 

Have also ordered the sencom boot lid harness which will be here Monday so hoping it fixes 3rd brake light, glass hatch popping open and central locking. 

which site did you look at for the remap?

23 hours ago, Tom-P said:

yep. Remap is on the list. 

fitted new thermostats this morning. Took it for a short drive and temps up between 88 and 92 so seems to have done the trick.  It was barely getting over 70 before so I think it’s going to need a good regen. Will try and get a motorway run tonight or tomorrow. 

Have also ordered the sencom boot lid harness which will be here Monday so hoping it fixes 3rd brake light, glass hatch popping open and central locking. 

which site did you look at for the remap?

Where did you order the harness from? Still need to sort mine - not sure it's easy to do when the glass hatch has stopped working as I recall you need that open to get to the rest of it? Mine doesn't work and I also have a few lights out on the 3rd brake light.

1 minute ago, RanchoGrande said:

Where did you order the harness from? Still need to sort mine - not sure it's easy to do when the glass hatch has stopped working as I recall you need that open to get to the rest of it? Mine doesn't work and I also have a few lights out on the 3rd brake light.

I ordered direct from them here https://www.sencom-kabeltechnik.de/shop/SenCom-Kabelbaum-Reparatursatz-BMW-E61-Heckklappe-komplett-links-rechts-Antennenleitung-p52761363

my glass keeps popping open all the time unfortunately so I guess I have the opposite problem to you. However I think there is a way of opening it when the buttons stuck, have a google search, I’m sure I saw something about it.

the kit should be here tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s not too much of a mission but hoping to get it done one evening this week. The central locking not working is the most annoying thing!

50 minutes ago, Tom-P said:

I ordered direct from them here https://www.sencom-kabeltechnik.de/shop/SenCom-Kabelbaum-Reparatursatz-BMW-E61-Heckklappe-komplett-links-rechts-Antennenleitung-p52761363

my glass keeps popping open all the time unfortunately so I guess I have the opposite problem to you. However I think there is a way of opening it when the buttons stuck, have a google search, I’m sure I saw something about it.

the kit should be here tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s not too much of a mission but hoping to get it done one evening this week. 

Good luck with that mate & I'm not being funny.

Please post up how you get on as it's on my todo list but I'm doing it myself with wire / soldiering iron & heat shrink.

50 minutes ago, Tom-P said:

On 11/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, Tom-P said:

the kit should be here tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s not too much of a mission but hoping to get it done one evening this week. The central locking not working is the most annoying thing!

A mate of mine took on the wiring challenge on his e61 and it took him a full day! I haven't had the time or patience to take it on so have been thinking about buying the loom and giving it to the garage to do.

I had a guy down last week for this, he got the car cheap and knew it was wiring, someone had been at it before and soldered 1 wire up then wrapped insulation tape around what I assume was cracked insulation on several others. They had since broke!

This is all the stuff I have found online about it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTAP9qwiGB0iuxqCmlB-Xlb20OAWQ?e=ze5iTM

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

I had a guy down last week for this, he got the car cheap and knew it was wiring, someone had been at it before and soldered 1 wire up then wrapped insulation tape around what I assume was cracked insulation on several others. They had since broke!

This is all the stuff I have found online about it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTAP9qwiGB0iuxqCmlB-Xlb20OAWQ?e=ze5iTM

Wanna do mine m8